The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally engage in other sorts of Treasure Hunting excursions that usually require travel. Since I can't do it as often as I'd like, I've taken a real interest in MDing specifically on beach and in shallow water. I appreciate the many posts shared that I have read on this forum. I've been doing some research on my own too. I have a few questions that I'd like some advice on.

I am wanting to purchase my first MD for beach and shallow water hunting. I will be using it in fresh water lakes and in salt water oceans and seas. I definitely want a discriminating one for iron so I won't be digging up iron all of the time. I need one that isn't too heavy for use when not in water. I also need one that is fully submersible for snorkeling and scuba as well. If it could also be used occasionally on land would be nice as well, although my primary use will be on beaches, the shoreline and in water. I know I'm asking a lot, but any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excalllll! I have mine with a straight shaft and a bicycle inner tube shoulder strap around the handle(which is great but will rub off black onto your shoulder) which makes it weightless and counter balances it so you can swing all day. This machine has produced the majority of my gold rings. I have used it on land too with decent results but a screen will give you a better idea whats down there if you plan on dirt hunting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If money is not an issue, and if I wasn't going underwater deeper than 10', I'd get the CTX. Add a 17" and 6" coil, and you have the best all around detector on the market today. If you're diving deeper than 10', I'd get the Excalibur and modify it with a straight shaft and pin point mod, with the CZ21 being my second choice if money is an issue. I'd forget any single frequency machine and PI units. The singles won't work good in salt and the PI's are miserable on land or any iron infested sites. Check out the Sunspot Stealth scoops. Best on the market IMO.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an additional thought, you might also want to evaluate what you'll be looking for in a little more specific fashion? This can also play heavily in machine selection, as can "the specific environments" you'll be hunting in? This is why many hunters have more then one machine, something else to consider. Like I said, I use the Excal for all of my hunting but there have been a few times I would have preferred something simpler like the Garrett AT series of machines. Even today, no one machine is best for everything.

Last edited:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
One thing that nobody has mentioned is that, if you are going to be fanatical about this hobby you likely will have multiple machines.

If you see yourself being an avid detectorist, you will own more than 1 machine.

If this sounds like you, get a machine that will do what ever it does well, and expand your arsenal later.

I have owned as many as 9 machines at one time, have bought and sold many over the years.

Right now I have 7 or 8.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another machine out there that everyone seems to overlook...or has no knowledge of...is the DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater. Dive to 100'. Electronics are in the headphones which leaves no box on the shaft to swing around. Works the same in fresh or salt water. It's a tone machine with nice crisp sounds for the good stuff, a slight click on iron. Rechargable sealed batts that will take 1000 charges @ 40 hours each charge. The cable is straight, so it doesn't tangle like the coiled cables. I paid $680 for mine, half the price of the high end machines. I love mine, but I've never used the others, i.e. excal, cz21, ctx, etc.
Downside is the coil is not interchangeable. I have the 8", I believe it can also come with a 12".

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caught MD Fever On This Forum & Have Questions

I'm not an expert water hunter like some of these guys but I do own a few water machines to include a BHID 300, and an Excal. I highly recommend the Excal based on the criteria you outlined...and a good scoop.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Another machine out there that everyone seems to overlook...or has no knowledge of...is the DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater. Works the same in fresh or salt water.

NOOOOO. This is a single frequency machine and will not do well on salt beaches or salt water. If you want a machine for salt you need a multifrequency machine.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Given your stated use, I'd go with the Excalibur. If you stay with the hobby and start looking for a top notch second machine, the CTX3030 gets my vote.

Prepare yourself to be seriously addicted and wanting multiple machines designed to handle your expanded horizons...I speak from personal experience. I started with one detector and now own 2 Excaliburs, a CTX, an XP Deus and an AT Pro plus multiple coils of all sizes. Like I said, be prepared to become addicted!

Now go get 'em.:thumbsup:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to get by with one detector in all the environments you want to hunt in...I use an AT PRO in freshwater and its my land machine for old sites, sports fields etc...I use a CZ21 in the salt environment...if your only buying one machine, get one for the place you will hunt the most...CZ21 or Excal for the salt...AT PRO for fresh and land....if you like it, you will get hooked and end up getting a second machine.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOOOOO. This is a single frequency machine and will not do well on salt beaches or salt water. If you want a machine for salt you need a multifrequency machine.

Adam, have you ever used one? I'm not finding any falsing in salt water at all. Check out some of the videos on it, it's a good salt water machine.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
If you caught the fever for metal detecting the beach here..... wait till you find your first gold! Then the fever turns into an addiction..

I think everyone has covered all the bases on what you need, just take it slow on the mods until you have learned the machine,

Good Luck and Keep us informed.

Jun 15, 2017
Southern, MD
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Wow ... what a huge response. Very impressive community. I basically was lurking & wondering about a machine to allow me to do many of the same tasks in the OP. Great information here! AND it ended with one of the recommended machines popping up for sale in the marketplace. As a new guy ... that was pretty cool. Thanks for the original question - and thanks for all the polite & direct responses.

- Randy

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ... what a huge response. Very impressive community. I basically was lurking & wondering about a machine to allow me to do many of the same tasks in the OP. Great information here! AND it ended with one of the recommended machines popping up for sale in the marketplace. As a new guy ... that was pretty cool. Thanks for the original question - and thanks for all the polite & direct responses.

- Randy

Welcome to T net Randy.

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Adam, have you ever used one? I'm not finding any falsing in salt water at all. Check out some of the videos on it, it's a good salt water machine.

Ugh, great to hear yours works. Here in NE Florida, myself and a local guy had a diver, wader and (2) PP with NEL's. Yes, they work, but define "work". If reducing the sensitivity to just a few inches, listening to relentless chatter and putting up with false signals is "working", then sure. All of them we wanted to wrap around a tree. Now my DP-Pulse is another story.. =) Yes, that works!

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:

Adam, proud of you...I see your learning and sharing the knowledge! lol, keep it up!

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am wanting to purchase my first MD for beach and shallow water hunting. I will be using it in fresh water lakes and in salt water oceans and seas...

Excal: I found the Excal gains the most depth/sensitivity to small objects when the threshold is turned up. Honestly an incredibly deep machine; however, even with stock phones, my ears would be ringing from the high pitch volume. The machine is a proven performer, but that was a turn-off for me and I only used it for snorkeling.

CTX: I realized I almost never hunt over my head, so this machine being waterproof to 10-feet is perfect for both my land and sea hunting. I have a 2nd gen with the updated seals and its been problem free. Definately my "go-to" machine!

OP
OP
The_Piratess

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you caught the fever for metal detecting the beach here..... wait till you find your first gold! Then the fever turns into an addiction..

I think everyone has covered all the bases on what you need, just take it slow on the mods until you have learned the machine,

Good Luck and Keep us informed.

Hey all... I am absolutely amazed and so very grateful for all of your kindness and willingness in taking of both your time and expertise to help somebody new to MDing. Everyone has been so kind and helpful, never were condescending towards me or treated me like I was lesser. You have all been the greatest group that I have come into contact with on this forum! I will most definitely keep you informed as I am in the process of not only buying a good MD thanks to all of your advice, but have already booked several trips! I thank each and everyone of you again! :award_star_gold_3::award_star_gold_3::award_star_gold_3:

HH with the very best of luck to all of you! See you on the beach sometime...:sunny:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe first decide if you want the visual aid (VDI)....this will really tighten your choices.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread