Upcoming Hawaii trip (Maui), thoughts?

SweetCorn

Oct 2, 2016
East Bay, CA
Detector(s) used
Excal 2, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I are going to Hawaii at the end of August. This is a "family trip" and we aren't paying for it, so I just nod my head and say "great" whenever asked about where we are going. That said, I have searched a few times about MDing on beaches there and I'm under the impression that people don't do particularly well there for some reason. At least the handful of youtube videos I've seen from there all had really bleak outcomes. Is this true? Has anyone ever done any good there?

We will be on Maui, staying at 2 places, Hana and Wailea. I know at Wailea I will have access to a very nice beach right outside an expensive hotel.
I'll have my Excal with a relatively new NEL coil, probably Attack or Thunder. Do Hawaiian resorts produce targets? It seems like most people who go on MD trips usually go to Mexico or the Caribbean and not Hawaii. I know if I was paying for a MD specific trip, I wouldn't chose Hawaii because it's more expensive. Thanks for any thoughts/tips.

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
luck med_662355227edf550dbc.gif

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with any detecting you get to do! Most importantly, enjoy two beautiful locations on Maui! I had never been so relaxed as when we did a stay out in Hana, so peaceful! (that is after you take "The Road to Hana"!)

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Take a mask and snorkel with you and dive in the water pools below the various falls that are on the road to Hana. When I was there several years ago, there was a local there with his
two kids that were doing that. They found rings and watches and some change as well.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
From what I know the Excalibur will work ok but will struggle with the high iron content in the volcanic rock. Most successful hunters there use PI machines to punch through the mineralization to get any sort of depth. If the Excalibur is your only weapon you might want to hunt in pinpoint only until you've located a target. That would be my plan. Good Luck!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The only way that worked for me in Hawaii was a compromise: I got to MD the beaches if my wife got the credit card to go shopping (and no questions asked later).
Good luck; and by the way.....the locals are in to MD; you may not be hunting alone.
Don....

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They eat lots of Spam there Lol! :laughing7:
That stuff was used to patch holes in tanks, and they eat it!
Its funny how Americas Military aid impacts the diets and favorite foods of countries around the world. If you go to France, they are crazy about Nescafe and Sanka (freeze dried coffee powder) and Lucky Strike cigarettes. Both daily items included in the MRE's dropped over france as food aid during Hitlers occupation and after. Their bodies were so grateful for anything to eat that they grew to love it to this day. Same for SPAM on Hawaii :) The French love Nescafe so much that a French company bought it. It is now French owned!

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweetcorn the beaches in Wailea are very clean as in very little trash not a ton of targets but we do come up with good finds from time to time I use a P.I. in the water but there are a few guys that use excals here and they work fine. Personally I have not had many good finds on the dry sand almost always in the water I prefer to snorkel right at the edge of the shoreline. P.S. there are very few detectorists here as far as i know i go fairly often and have never crossed paths with another. Good Luck!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweetcorn the beaches in Wailea are very clean as in very little trash not a ton of targets but we do come up with good finds from time to time I use a P.I. in the water but there are a few guys that use excals here and they work fine. Personally I have not had many good finds on the dry sand almost always in the water I prefer to snorkel right at the edge of the shoreline. P.S. there are very few detectorists here as far as i know i go fairly often and have never crossed paths with another. Good Luck!

Great info PS!! It's been probably going on 2years now, but we stayed at the Sheraton near Black Rock and the snorkeling is amazing, but my point is that there was one guy there every day with Scuba gear doing very well! He is on another forum with the initials TQ.

OP
OP
S

SweetCorn

Oct 2, 2016
East Bay, CA
Detector(s) used
Excal 2, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Wailea now, it's stunningly beautiful.
A short hunt last night and about 2 hours this morning has netted not a whole lot. Am on the board with 1 junker ring, a handful of clad, a portable phone charger and not too much trash.

Have only found 1 penny in the water. Everything else is dry sand. Am really scratching my head over lack of water targets. Looked for holes, low spots, riffles, etc and nothing.
I've got a new NEL Thunder coil and it's a great upgrade but I'd really like to unlock the water targets here. Any thoughts??

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The locals know all the best spots and get there VERY early or night hunt!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The locals know all the best spots and get there VERY early or night hunt!

Ron, although I've never hunted Hawaii, I have heard others say the same as you: That the beaches are literally "kept clean" by local hobbyists. A buddy of mine was surprised that he could scarcely even get clad ! Sometimes several minutes of nothing but threshold hum ! He finally ended up snorkeling into the water (to get clear of most md'rs who are in the inter-tidal zone) to finally get a few rings.

Constrast to Santa Cruz main beach where ...... if you wander the dry sand, you WILL get metal @ a pretty constant rate (albeit foil, zinc, caps, etc....).

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweetcorn, as mentioned earlier in the thread mask and snorkel right at the waters edge is where we get our best results. I also like to hunt any negative low tide at night as long as the wind and surf are down. We rarely find anything but small amounts of clad in the dry sand.

OP
OP
S

SweetCorn

Oct 2, 2016
East Bay, CA
Detector(s) used
Excal 2, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was from yeaterday.... 96 coins, junker ring and a set of junker earrings.
A few patterns are emerging. Trying another beach tomorrow.
Been picking up lots of eyeball ttash, caps, etc. Beaches are in general pretty clean.

20170828_220152-compressed.jpg

Attachments

• 20170828_220152.jpg
    20170828_220152.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are in the zone,all you have to do is get your coil over a piece of gold!

This was from yeaterday.... 96 coins, junker ring and a set of junker earrings.
A few patterns are emerging. Trying another beach tomorrow.
Been picking up lots of eyeball ttash, caps, etc. Beaches are in general pretty clean.

View attachment 1488614

Maybe try reverse hunting in the middle of the activity area or slowly working down the slope in the water.

Good luck!

Charles

OP
OP
S

SweetCorn

Oct 2, 2016
East Bay, CA
Detector(s) used
Excal 2, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted a wrap up video of my finds for the trip....

A little disappointing not finding anything that good, but I had a great trip nonetheless.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions