Guess I'm not the only idiot....

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got off the phone with Sunspot, I had to order a new Stealth scoop.

Why, you may ask?

umm...... don't lean your scoop on the passenger side of your SUV, open the hatchback and put detector in then drive away!!!! :BangHead: some homeless guy now has a new stainless battle axe......

It was a older scoop, pre stealth but had served me well...I will miss it sniff sniff

The funny part is, while I was on the phone with them, I mentioned my dumb move and he said that I was the 3rd guy just recently that had to order a new scoop because of doing the exact same thing LOL

Upvote 0

game over man

Oct 14, 2014
SE WI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F5,Fisher CZ-21,Teknetics Mark III
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I feel your pain.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the original Sunspot Scoop and I love it! Sorry you lost yours, however I can do one better. Leaned my Minelab Excalibur 1000 on the front fender and drove away without it. It was a long 20 minute ride back to Lake Sunapee to retrieve the detector. Luckily it was still laying on the ground rite where it fell, in the parking lot! Tt

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I leaned a Tejon against the truck while I talked with the landowner, got in the truck and backed over it. Crushed the battery boxes. That's what I call "brain fart".

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, Hmm, It looks like it may be more common then I expected. It would be fun to hear more similar type stories.

I think I know why I forgot mt scoop.

I had to back out of an angle parking spot, into oncoming traffic. After I put the detector and my pouch into the car I noticed that there wasn't any traffic coming,.... so I quickly hopped into the Cherokee and backed out ASAP.... That haste cost me a couple hundred bucks.

And...now that I have been thinking about it, The rain just started to pour too.

Last edited:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss...like others here, Ive left my machine behind...didn't know it until next morning, so retracing my steps I SPED back to the soccer field I was hunting prior and there it was! Leaning against the trash can where I emptied my junk pouch out at. Whew! And it was only about 50 yards from a busy road...im thinking of making a tether to tie it to my belt loop lol...Ddf

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was about to say good thing it wasn't your detector but sounds like that has happens to several here so I guess I no longer need to say it. Sorry about the scoop and might want to put a note on the steering wheel-Detector, Scoop, Pouch, Keys and wallet. I know that would be my check list! GL

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how that goes. Brand new 7 foot Crowder fishing rod. Had the rod, tackle box, etc and swung the house door as I ducked out fast. Poof.... had a brand new 6 1/2 foot rod...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't tell you how many tools I left on rear bumper to never be seen again, incl a decent flashlight. Seems like I would learn eventually. Even left my bow on my roof once, luckily only went a hundred yards or so...seen some turkeys and looked over at my empty passenger seat. It was still on top. Haven't forgot my detector stuff.....yet.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Became extremely proficient on gluing and wrapping tips & guides on rods we all know where I got all the practice. Knock on wood (as he thumps his head) haven't lost any MDing tools or detectors. Was doing some painting in my companies warehouse. Was using a ladder on the top of my van. Hey! it looked like a scissors lift! Left an open gallon of paint on top of the van. Got all the way home before I noticed it. Believe it or not didn't spill a drop! That was an 8 mile trip!!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
The same thing happened to me. Now I’m thinking it might not be a bad idea to put a “ If found call xxx-xxxx “ sticker on it. People who find it have no use for it for the most part.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same thing happened to me. Now I’m thinking it might not be a bad idea to put a “ If found call xxx-xxxx “ sticker on it. People who find it have no use for it for the most part.

That is a excellent idea. I cant think of many other uses for it except for what it was designed for. Call and collect $50 or something like that.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
That is a excellent idea. I cant think of many other uses for it except for what it was designed for. Call and collect $50 or something like that.

People are generally good about returning things they find. Have had my cell phone returned a few times.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People are generally good about returning things they find. Have had my cell phone returned a few times.

A 'few' times?
Methinks you need to change Something in your habits......

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel your pain....:BangHead:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I generally make it a rule to never set anything down on the ground near my vehicle. It goes in it right when I open it, or it stays in my hands.

Left an expensive underwater camera on the ground after a dive once and drove off without it : (

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i had a bad habit of leaving stuff on the back bumper most of the time it would still be there . after a loss or two you learn not to do it anymore

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread