All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
Nope didn't get that far south. Talked to a few detectorists in kill devil, no one finding anything special. Daughter and I found a bunch of coinage right where they held a lifeguard completion on Wednesday. Since moved up to corolla but haven't been out yet. Beaches are getting hammered each day after some heavy rains but the two guys I watched from our beachfront deck both went as far as I could see in either direction without ever scooping a target. Seems to be the norm here, everyone keeps their belongings in the houses so they lose little to nothing.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rain ? Haven't seen any up here which is a Surprise.
The ally way has some ruts & there was a puddle on my Kitchen floor the other day.
So I take it We got hammered but it must have been a Quickie.

Too hot to get out here though.
Perhaps on the 5th I'll finally get to LLewellyn.
Wasn't Mowed last week.

Stay safe ! Have Fun ! & Good Luck !

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
First I'm hearing about this... Interesting !
I know.. Probably old News for you people down there :tongue3:
my Nephew is in the OBX somewhere for the Holiday.
I'll have to ask him when he get home :laughing7:

I've read quite a few articles about this "developing island". IMO, anything "new" means the ocean is pushing sand up on the beach and creating the beach. If there were any targets, they'd be pushed under or buried far under the sand. Seemingly this would be a very hard area to find targets unless masses of people are flocking to the area to visit.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read quite a few articles about this "developing island". IMO, anything "new" means the ocean is pushing sand up on the beach and creating the beach. If there were any targets, they'd be pushed under or buried far under the sand. Seemingly this would be a very hard area to find targets unless masses of people are flocking to the area to visit.

I was thinking the Possibility of Very old Beach underfoot. :dontknow:

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
It all those ice caps melting!!!

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope didn't get that far south. Talked to a few detectorists in kill devil, no one finding anything special. Daughter and I found a bunch of coinage right where they held a lifeguard completion on Wednesday. Since moved up to corolla but haven't been out yet. Beaches are getting hammered each day after some heavy rains but the two guys I watched from our beachfront deck both went as far as I could see in either direction without ever scooping a target. Seems to be the norm here, everyone keeps their belongings in the houses so they lose little to nothing.

I just got back from Corolla Light for a week. Hunted the wet sand at low tide and the dry sand for for 3-4 hours every morning and a few evenings/afternoons. Only found about 5 dollars in clad. One junk kids ring and a junk charm (not trying to sound unappreciative by using the word junk).

I agree with you that people just don't take their stuff to the beach there. Also not nearly as many people in the water. This is second time there and neither really produced. Two years ago at least I found a tungsten wedding band and a few earrings.

Good luck everyone!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I am not sure why this has taken anyone by surprise...

I say this because this is actually VERY common.

Islands form and disappear all the time.

And I mean like commonly... all the time... everywhere in the world.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First the sand accumulate into a "bar"... if it continues it enlarges over time... seeds and pods that also deposit eventually begin to take hold... and an island is born.

Some have existed before us... and will be there after us... some grow smaller over time... (most) and some are born... some are born over and over

Take Passage Key for example... In my youth was very large island... storms eventually eroded and washed it to nothing there at all...

Today... is back and growing again.

Took years... but now it returns from the sea.

Golden oaks

Aug 4, 2012
BEACH BETTER HAVE MY MONEY!
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is a baited question as it is part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore and I know for a fact that detecting in this area is strictly prohibited.

I would not advise the possibility of losing all of your equipment and paying a hefty fine for the chance...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a baited question as it is part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore and I know for a fact that detecting in this area is strictly prohibited.

I would not advise the possibility of losing all of your equipment and paying a hefty fine for the chance...

How lame can a state be...

That sucks.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golden oaks is correct. Metal detecting is allowed from up toward the Virginia border down to the lower Nags Head beaches about the 16 to 21 mile post depending upon which map you look at. South of that is Wildlife refuge and National Park and no detecting all the way past Hatteras Including the island of Ocracoke and Portsmouth Island. It sucks as there is such as large stretch of untouched beach and the risk of getting caught is not worth it. Besides, with what I have heard the others here say and my last trip to Kill Devil Hills, not much but a bunch of clad and trash. Beach is not getting as much dropped on it there and they are pretty sanded in.

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will tell you how bad it is, I was at Organ Inlet a few years back fishing, a jeep next to me picked up a piece of drift wood stuck it in back of truck, when they left rangers stopped them at shack at end of road as we drove by we saw them handcuffed they had watched them pick it up and waited till they were going to leave National Seashore. Not sure what happened to them but it was kind of ridiculous.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other

I was wondering if anyone would bring this up. They will confiscate your equipment!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread