Manta PI - another video

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started a thread a couple of weeks ago about the French PI development by a guy named Alexandre Tartar — which has been picked up by First Texas (Fisher). I should have been clearer about one thing - the detector prototype called Manta is designed for the beach. Inland use would be a completely different application and the Manta may or may not be able to be developed in that direction.

There were a number of posts from folks here on the form. The general drift was the PI's don't discriminate reliably - and when people have tried to use discrimination in PI's either the total detection depth was reduced to no better than a VLF, or the discrimination itself was not reliable at depth. These comments I believe were spot on as far as they relate to what we have seen so far with things like Minelab's iron ID on the GPX series (limited to shallow targets) and the ability of the TDI to use its ground balance control as a form of discrimination iron (with noticable loss of detection depth).

I subsequently found another Manta video — it's fairly long — 20 minutes — and of course it's in French, but in spite of that I've watched it at least a half dozen times.

In the video they demonstrate a Manta prototype (not the latest one, Manta 3) demonstrating various capabilities. Among these capabilities are:

All metal mode — responding to iron nails, black volcanic sand (from the Canary Islands and from La Reunion) and a plain gold ring

Iron discrimination mode using multi tones - low for iron and black sand, high for gold ring

Iron exclusion - no tone (or a slight Peep) on iron and black sand - solid hit on ring

They then go through a series of demos where they put crossed nails on top of the ring and get solid hits in both discrimination modes.

They then go on to do the same sort of thing with the bags of volcanic sand and with sand plus the nails over the ring. Solid hits on the ring in every case.

a Soverign and a CTX are put to the same targets and the ring is masked by the sand and by the nails.

Buried shallow targets are demonstrated, then deep ones - a gold coin and a large gold man's ring. The latter is put down 16" and gives a solid signal with iron exclusion turned on.

None of this proves anything, I can think of several tests I would have liked to have seen. In addition, this is not a product, but a prototype. What an eventual PI beach detector from Fisher will do (if it ever arrives) is another matter.

I saw no obvious trickery and my contact at FT tells me he saw the Manta do all this at a beach in France - they must have been impressed, they hired the guy.

here's the link.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G8sdp4RG73g&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rick K

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another video - depth comparison - 3 Eric Foster machines, Goldquest, Deepstar and Whites TDI - a GPX 5000 - and a Manta3 prototype. The first run takes forever, but the others are shorter. Results posted (in CM) in text at the end of each machine's run. Large mens ring down PVC pipe driven into wet beach sand.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p-cyuaniLBg

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's another video - depth comparison - 3 Eric Foster machines, Goldquest, Deepstar and Whites TDI - a GPX 5000 - and a Manta3 prototype. The first run takes forever, but the others are shorter. Results posted (in CM) in text at the end of each machine's run. Large mens ring down PVC pipe driven into wet beach sand.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p-cyuaniLBg

The last video is more of a air test I would say. Impressive that it keeps up with the GPX

OP
OP
Rick K

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN,

I agree that the detection of the ring is through air, which means it may or may not be representative of the depth on a buried target. The test set up is useful however because the limitation on depth is very much a result of the detector's reaction to the whole ground matrix during the whole swing. When I listen to the audio closely, the target is generally lost when the threshold, including ground response makes the target return inaudible.

The depth on the large ring is 50 CM. In the first video I posted, starting at about 19 minutes in, they bury what looks like the same ring 40 CM down in wet sand. They they get a good solid signal with both all-metal and iron eliminate "coupre de fer". It looks like they could have detected the ring even deeper, judging by the solid target signal.

Here's the link to that video again

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G8sdp4RG73g&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUT....... will Fisher ever get off the pot and produce this machine? They now have 2 smart guys there with the same idea about a disc PI. Hunting with the Xcal in PP and just using the disc as a fast check makes you realize just how capable a PI with a bit of disc to check targets would be. To me this is just a no brainer that none of the detecting companies seem to want to do. Put me down for one Fisher. Ive been on here for a few years now and Fisher keeps promising a NEW machine. Mel was known for salt water finds......

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
BUT....... will Fisher ever get off the pot and produce this machine? They now have 2 smart guys there with the same idea about a disc PI. Hunting with the Xcal in PP and just using the disc as a fast check makes you realize just how capable a PI with a bit of disc to check targets would be. To me this is just a no brainer that none of the detecting companies seem to want to do. Put me down for one Fisher. Ive been on here for a few years now and Fisher keeps promising a NEW machine. Mel was known for salt water finds......

I'm with you Dew, but she has to be 100% salt water proof. My only issue now is my age ..it could be another 4 years before anything hits the market.

OP
OP
Rick K

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know nothing about Fisher's marketing and development plans, but the Manta 3 prorotype was waterproof to 100 feet and was a complete, functioning unit. I don't think Fisher has a huge task ahead of them to bring a production machine to market - let's hope I'm right - I'm 70 - time marches on!

here's some more info on the Manta from an ad that a guy in France to sell his V3 prototype - because he got a V4. English is not his native language so somee imagination is required! The detector sold pretty quickly – in spite of the rather high price. I would expect a production machine from Fisher to be priced comparably to current saltwater detectors.

I sell a "prototype" Manta v3

There are only three copies of this detector and it is the best of three ....
(See mantametaldetectors website)

Pulse induction, works exclusively with mono coils to the beach, possibly for the land, but no ground control

Calibrated for low conductors, gold and platinum, among other
Delay 7us of 17 volts more sensitive, deeper and faster than Deepstar

Equipped with a coil, Manta, latest generation
she has one month, the quietest and most efficient on the market, all brands included.
(it will operate on TDI and Deepstar)

Connector Type TDI, it accepts all coils (mono) of TDI / GPX

Weight: 1.5 kg without battery that is worn at the belt
headphone jack and on / off switch on the battery pack (lipo) supplied charger
more than six hours of detection at full power.

Carbon Rod Anderson + extra cane down
braided nylon belt military style

All the possible settings and need a good PI
SAT speed, TX frequency, noise threshold, delay, volume,
sensitivity....

The delay was 7us , lets see gold ends
very thin rings, earrings, jewelry hollow that other detectors can not see
and of course, the wholesale jewelry it goes deeper

Ferrous recognition by a double beep well marked

sold for Manta V4
smile.gif

2000 USD the detector is in France can supplement depending on the mode shipments selected

Thanks

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically, don't we already have this deep P.I. with disc in the Excal?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rick K

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal is a multifrequency vlf detector. Depth may approach the best PI detector under favorable conditions, but black sand would kill any vlf detector - even the Excal.

Look at the first video - a CTX - at least as capable as the Excal and using the same basic technology - fails to detect the gold band under the nails or the black sand.

On a nice FL non mineral beach - maybe no problem about mineralization, but iron masking will still kill it.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The Excal is a multifrequency vlf detector. Depth may approach the best PI detector under favorable conditions, but black sand would kill any vlf detector - even the Excal.

Look at the first video - a CTX - at least as capable as the Excal and using the same basic technology - fails to detect the gold band under the nails or the black sand.

On a nice FL non mineral beach - maybe no problem about mineralization, but iron masking will still kill it.

After many years of working on the Excalibur with the modifications I've done, the best I can get out of a Washington Quarter is 19 inch's ..and that's with a 10 inch coil, in PP and with my own Head phones. Then if turn on the afterburner that's adds on another 4 to 5 inch's. And these are air test in a totally silent room. From the test in the video I would say the Manta has no problem touching those air test numbers. I love my Excals but....Sign Dew and Me up...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread