Fill your holes

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum but am not new to detecting, and have been doing it for close to 16 years now.

While I have done many a park area and some minute relic hunting, my main ballywick is beach hunting.

This brings me to the topic of this post.

Beach hunting is very popular with many detectorists as it is always very rich in finds. Face it, every day, there is literally a whole crowd of new folks on the beach dropping stuff (ok down south that is, up in yankee land snow tends to limit beach dwellers during those horribly cold months where the temperature drops below 70 ;D ).

Given this, there are many MD'ers out there looking for the stuff that was dropped, not only last weekend, but last century in some areas.

As a whole, the MD'ers can get a bad MO from many folks just for being there. The reasons are numerous and while many are unwarranted, im not going to get into them all on this topic.

Given this....We do not need to be giving these folks any other reasons to whine about us being on the beaches. Especially valid reasons.

Leaving holes is a major issue.

We all know that someone's spawn can dig a 4 foot sand castle out surrounded by a 6 foot mote and nobody will say a word. Yet; let a metal detectorist leave a half inch divot and the outrage over the *craters* we left will be all over the place.

Sadly, I have seen time and time again where a metal detectorist will dig a find, and leave the sand piled off to the side and a big hole there.

This is just not good practice. I can't put it simpler than that.

If you are going to beach hunt, that's great, but it only takes a few extra seconds to kick the sand back over the hole you dug out. Fill it in, it keeps the complaints to a minimum, and overall gives the entire hobby / profession a better image.

Image is everything, especially in places like St. Augustine as an example where the snobs are just looking for any reason they can find to outlaw MD'ing on the beach.

It's not only the right thing to do, it's just common sense, shows manners, courtesy, and maturity.

We are better than that, seriously we are... Lets strive to leave a positive overall image rather than a negative.

(stepping off soapbox and going back to lay over by my dish)

Aaron

Upvote 0

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Forget about some ones kids and sand castles. I have literally seen fox holes dug big enough to hide Rambo on my Beach's. Good thing is my beach's are predominately inhabited by retirees who seem quite kind to me in regards to my MDing.

Parks on the other hand I rarely bother with unless they have sand playground areas or volleyball courts (which many do in a beach town). The evil eye from the sports and grounds crews is more than I would rather deal with. The softball/baseball crowd thinks they own these places and any digging here is tantamount to digging up Wrigley field in there eyes.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Hear hear! It's funny how many times this has been brought up and yet there are STILL md'ers out there that do not bother to fill in their holes. I only takes a couple seconds so what is the big deal? It also only takes one or two irresponsible md'ers to spoil it for everyone else.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Take pride in the sport and look at all of the areas banning and trying to ban detecting. Fill your holes! It only takes a few seconds.

Thead

Jul 16, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, Surf PI Pro, BeachHunter ID, Sovereign GT and Excalibur 1000 (my favorite)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
MindHunter said:
I hear ya.
Last thing you want to do is stumble into a hole that a guy dug while using a PI rig. ;D

That one was pretty good - thanks for the laugh!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
It only take one baddie to make us all look bad and unfortunately, I think you are preaching to the choir here as I would think the TNet members here all pretty much abide by the Code of Ethics for MDing. Always leave a site better then you found it!

One person CAN make a difference though so rock on Asch and welcome to TNet. Best of luck to out there buddy!

Smiles!
BDoo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread