All Too Common Problem for Beach Detectors!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Someday that will be treasure for the next beings to inhabit the earth. Crazy world.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my favorite "day after" detecting days is July 5.

And I slap on my extra trash pouch.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great, wonder what those bozos do the rest of the year, let me guess?? Reminded me of one of the times I helped clean-up trash on one of my favorite Michigan trout streams. We all covered over 35 miles of river and filled two dumpsters! At the end of the day, we all met for a bbq and discussed some of the better finds. One guy found a used pregnancy test kit. He said it was a good thing it showed negative results. I asked why and he said, "their off-spring would be predisposed to littering"!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I did water assist at Desoto I would leave the dock at day break... first sign of light... then return as sun was setting...

In the course of a day I would reclaim any trash in our paths throughout the day.

The average day consisted of roughly 25 + pounds of trash...

Other days I was towing pieces of wood and the entire deck would be covered with a huge pile.

And my front deck is a 8x8 foot flat area.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might add...

This was EVERY day weather permitted... for a solid TWO YEARS.

And intermittent for another year after that.

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I might add...This was EVERY day weather permitted... for a solid TWO YEARS.....
Local officials know this health and safety hazard presents itself year after year. Seems an easy solution is to add extra garbage/recycling bins and post some signage to encourage folks to keep the beach clean.

There is a beach by our place that hosts fireworks and two years ago ^^this is exactly what they did. Since bins were conveneint and close by, people left less trash on the beach. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once i was detecting a beach early morning when a kind of hot but trashy girl came up to me asking if I could help her find her car key. She explained that they had just done a "show" the night before, and that her boyfriend plays music and she's a dancer, but they lost their keys during the show and had to sleep in their van in the parking lot since they couldn't start it.

I said, well, I only have about 15 minutes left on the meter, but sure show me where you think you lost them!

She walks me over to the spot where they "performed" and points to a circle of more trash than I have ever seen on the beach in one spot. Beer bottles, cans, tabs, cigarettes, pop tops, paper, etc.

I looked at it, and I looked at her, and I said "Nope seems some disgusting morons left a TON OF TRASH right here. I can't detect thru that it's just too much. Good luck!"

Instant Karma

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digging trash. The worst are the little bread bag ties!:skullflag:

Attachments

• todays treasure.jpg
    todays treasure.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 125
  • stuff2.jpg
    stuff2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 118
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • jones72311 035.jpg
    jones72311 035.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 131

FLORIDA KEYS PIRATE

Mar 29, 2016
Inverness FL.
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people are just scumbags. It's all about how you were raised. I was taught to never litter , and I've taught my Son the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hit that exact beach (Stewart Beach) one Monday Labor Day evening after the crowds had thinned and it was everything littered from diapers to food scraps, food packaging, broken lawn chairs etc. the trash bins were so full there was a mountain of garbage surrounding each one! I was pleasantly surprised the next morning when it was ALL GONE!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The post reminded me of the time I was fishing / floating a trout stream here and we see a canoe tip over. We all helped get there gear / trash that was floating down the river. Beer cans everywhere and one of the bozos yells, "Don't worry about those cans. They're the empties! Just grab the full ones"! The only thing that was empty that day was the space between his ears!

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After last years Fourth of July weekend. I dug a whole twelve pack of beer cans from one hole. Don't mind cleaning up after buttheads because drunks seem to lose more. But had to make two trips to the trash can because didn't have enough hands for one. Now I carry a plastic Walmart bag for times like that.

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They usually take off the corona bottle caps and push them into the ground or under the sand. The only way that will ever get fixed is if people care not to litter. If someone were to enforce the litter laws in this country then maybe people would start to care not to litter. Hit them were it hurts in their pocket book with a nice big fat ticket...going to court etc will help shape their minds. It just discusts me to no end that there are pigs out there that could care less about others and take advantage of this country.

strick

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am surprised they aren't using those beach trash collectors behind a tractor. Yeah, people suck. They think "I'm going home, I dont care about trash here"

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry this is a great post.

Today on our local beach we had 500+ volunteers from Heal The Bay collecting trash. I've been bothered by the volume of trash people leave behind on my beaches here in SoCal. Witnessed many folks just walk away leaving their sh-- on the sand! What are they thinking? I don't get it......

This is what I think would make beach goers think twice about not picking up after themselves.

On our roadways here in California you see signage stating $1000.00 FINE FOR LITTERING. If signs like this were posted on our beaches I think it would go a long way to remind people to pick up their trash.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nasty scumbags. I bet their homes are the same way.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wrapped up a week long vacation in NJ at the shore. I hit the beach promptly at 5:45 am each day. It's amazing to see what people leave there. So much trash. It's really frustrating. I ended up with about $7 in clad, but zero jewelry. The beach was PACKED every day, but I'll take what I can get. And my finds bag was heavy each day with trash that I deposited in the can on my way out. Regardless, I still had a blast!

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a learned behavior not to litter, it's part of caring about yourself and the land you use or live on. When people stop caring, they throw their trash everywhere, theirs no sense of ownership, no forward thinking, and this rationale expands to other areas of their life. Here in NJ, they put out trash cans all around on Wildwood beach, but people are too lazy to walk to them so they bury trash in the sand or just leave it. Many people are becoming feral humans, only concerned with themselves and their immediate desires, and their are no laws that can fix that, only a changed heart and proper education from home and school.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread