Underwater Vacuum

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, I have a couple of sites that I hunt that have a rock bottom that is what I call shelf rock that is standing with cracks between the layers facing up.{confused yet} It is hell to get targets out of the cracks even with my Stealth 920. You have to wedge the scoop in a crack behind the target and kick the scoop through the rock {not easy} and hope that you can break through. Pinpointing the target isn't hard. Recovery will wear you out and a lot of the targets are sinkers or other junk that sound too good to leave behind. Last year I had a target that it tried to scoop at least 20 times, kicking through rock. Almost gave up but finally a 14 kt ring popped out. I am thinking of some kind of portable/ backpack type of vacuum to suck the targets out of the cracks. Do ya'll have any ideas of something that would work and still be portable? Thanks in advance. steve

Upvote 0

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would probably need some kind of sluice, like they use on the gold hunting shows. I have a boulder filled fresh water pond that I can find plenty of targets, but can't get them. The scoop won't work and once the bottom is disturbed, it's zero % visability, so a snorkel won't work either.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how bout a battery operated little shop vac mounted in a floating sifter i work construction lots of battery operated tools

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy All, I have a couple of sites that I hunt that have a rock bottom that is what I call shelf rock that is standing with cracks between the layers facing up.{confused yet} It is hell to get targets out of the cracks even with my Stealth 920. You have to wedge the scoop in a crack behind the target and kick the scoop through the rock {not easy} and hope that you can break through. Pinpointing the target isn't hard. Recovery will wear you out and a lot of the targets are sinkers or other junk that sound too good to leave behind. Last year I had a target that it tried to scoop at least 20 times, kicking through rock. Almost gave up but finally a 14 kt ring popped out. I am thinking of some kind of portable/ backpack type of vacuum to suck the targets out of the cracks. Do ya'll have any ideas of something that would work and still be portable? Thanks in advance. steve

Just exhausting air from a scuba tank up through a pvc pipe will create suction as the bubbles move the water up through the pipe.

How strong I don't know, I've never done it only seen it done.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you maybe best just snorkeling and using a pick.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would probably need some kind of sluice, like they use on the gold hunting shows. I have a boulder filled fresh water pond that I can find plenty of targets, but can't get them. The scoop won't work and once the bottom is disturbed, it's zero % visability, so a snorkel won't work either.
SO YOUR PROB IS ROCKS ARE COVERED WITH A SILT ?
if its near by spot - I would get a water scooter seen them from 50 bucks on up over $1000
pick a spot and drop down with mask and blow the silt away then hunt - do a section at a time

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive hunted rocky spots and use an old heavy duty combat knife to get into crevices
I snorkel and drop down - will fan as much as I can many targets get wedged and scooping is not an option

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SO YOUR PROB IS ROCKS ARE COVERED WITH A SILT ?
if its near by spot - I would get a water scooter seen them from 50 bucks on up over $1000
pick a spot and drop down with mask and blow the silt away then hunt - do a section at a time

Yeah, everything is covered in silt and some bottom weeds. But there is no current at all, so once the bottom is disturbed, the cloud just stays there. After a while I do see bare spots when I work my way back, like a fish bed. I'll look up a water scooter.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've often wondered about basically a portable electric dredge thing for around rocks or those holes you keep digging and the waves fill in faster than you can get the target... But after trying out some electric pumps for just pumping water I was saddened by their capability.

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used one of those mini pinch / wrecking / crow bars......about 12" long. Fully weighted and on my hookah is also needed.
Getting leverage when underwater (and with nothing really to support you) can be a bit frustrating but it's worth the effort.
Tony

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old old school rig would work excellent for your application. I made a dredge, just because there weren't 20 or 30 companies making them. Decided it'd be a cool idea to be able to slide the sluice box off and slide a screen basket on. the basket was 4' long and shaped like half of a length of pipe or a round trough. That was back in the early 70s. The half round basket was an accidental design plus all the stuff that wouldn't drop through would lay in the bottom and you could run till the basket was full to the top or the dredge sank, which ever came first. For a suction nozzle you might want to make a tip like a shop vac nozzle from PVC with one end squished to an oblong shape to fit cracks better. If that's a bit much for your shop, you could always use one of the sucker guns the gold panners use. There's plans for them all over if you google them. Either way simple to make.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,