A reminder to stay safe in the water - I could have drowned today

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I added a bit of this caution to my thread today about finding a cell phone in a river swim hole.

I was working my way to a rope swing, and I usually stop a chin deep. Well, I got there and ran into very, very strong current. I had my Excal on straight shaft strapped to my right arm, carrying my heavy large Stealth scoop in my left hand.

So there I was being carried by the current to an area of unknown depth. I was tip toe dancing, trying to reach out with my Stealth to pull me into shallower water, but the current was keeping me from reaching out with it. My right arm was useless with the Excal strapped to it.

And I was not wearing a flotation vest. I just kept dancing and struggling with the scoop and somehow got myself out of the current.

I assure all of you, next time I hit a river I'm going to be wearing that vest.

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear a kayak/dive jacket - makes me more buoyant - plus I wear mask and snorkel - so if I get in that kind
of trouble - I can go for the ride until I see shallower bottom
good thing you where not wearing waders - when I was a kid came real close to losing a hunt partner that stepped in a hole and filled up and just managed to
get to the surface - a few others died in the 70s pushing it in waders - they got gold at their limits and pushed it thinking there was more out deeper
good idea would be to make a floating sifter with an inner tube with rope - you could just lay on top and go for ride
or wear a snorkel vest - its a pain but better than drowning

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tie a rope to your self and a tree or large rock.

Magnum (using a) PI

Feb 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear a manual inflation, CO-2 life vest - very light weight, forget I'm wearing it but its there if I need it

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank goodness you're okay and it worked out. Definitely Gotta be careful in those waters up to that deep. Potomac area has strong current and a lot of debris being pushed just under the surface that you can't see that might snag you and pull you under. Be safe

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a manual CO-2 life vest hanging on a hook about 8 feet from where I'm sitting. I'm going to be wearing that vest from here on in these rivers. I don't need to be stupid twice!

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do Not detect in the water above waist hi without my CO2 inflatable on. I was not long ago Lifeguard certified and am a strong swimmer, but that means nothing when Neptune bites you.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had similar happen on the beach when I stepped off a sand bar into deep water. Discovered just how hard it is to swim with a scoop and a detector.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
glad you got out of the close call....you will live and learn, and carry on....good hunting ADS...:thumbsup:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepseeker, glad you got out okay and don't forget the vest, it's there for a reason, and it ain't for fashion! GL HH

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My fear with that is it might pull me under the water in the force of the current.
Don't do this ever! Sounds like a good idea until you get your leg (s) tangled in it (done that)or something like a large log comes down between the shore & you (done that). Want an eye opener? Jump in your pool with your hunting clothes on & tread water or eggbeater as long as you can. Bet you're pooped quicker than you thought. Now add in current debris etc. etc. Co2 vest with oral inflator = cheap insurance!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad your Ok ... I could tell a few stories but if you seen your life pass before you there was a lesson learned for sure. Be Safe my friend...

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad that you are OK. Be careful.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I added a bit of this caution to my thread today about finding a cell phone in a river swim hole.

I was working my way to a rope swing, and I usually stop a chin deep. Well, I got there and ran into very, very strong current. I had my Excal on straight shaft strapped to my right arm, carrying my heavy large Stealth scoop in my left hand.

So there I was being carried by the current to an area of unknown depth. I was tip toe dancing, trying to reach out with my Stealth to pull me into shallower water, but the current was keeping me from reaching out with it. My right arm was useless with the Excal strapped to it.

And I was not wearing a flotation vest. I just kept dancing and struggling with the scoop and somehow got myself out of the current.

I assure all of you, next time I hit a river I'm going to be wearing that vest.

I know the feeling and you described it so well. We are supposed to learn from our mistakes,
if so I should be genius by now ( I'm not) .

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Deepseeker indeed. Too deep maybe.
While I'm no longer wading ,the modern braided fishing lines are crazy strong. Get tangled in enough around an ankle or two and you are in deep doo- doo.
Monofilament was bad enough.

Wear a flotation device ,but don't expect it to cover your well being beyond an increased under certain conditions ability to float.

Glad you are above water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread