flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've wanted this for so long... over the weekend I just got tired of thinking about it and just did it.

Did not need to modify anything on the machine... just replace the grip crap and install the bracket.

Lever on knob pops right off, there is nothing attaching it just friction.

Now I can switch between AM and Disc 0 instantly without having to let go of my scoop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Now when you've figured out how to swap coils I'll take two! :thumbsup: (I "think" the different coils 8 & 10" have to be dialed in on the mother board?)

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice. Now when you've figured out how to swap coils I'll take two! :thumbsup: (I "think" the different coils 8 & 10" have to be dialed in on the mother board?)

Yeah that one I will not be doing... at least not until my machine is out of warranty and springs a leak!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! I met a guy on the beach who had done the same thing with an Excalibur. He used a bicycle brake handle and cable to operate the pin point switch. Just drilled a lever to fit snug over the stock knob. When his machine is out of warranty, he'll do the full mod and get a bigger coil installed.

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me also likey like.....:icon_thumleft:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a noob. Why is this done? Is switching between those two options useful for certain situations?

A couple of reasons involving depth and also recovery time. Traditionally pinpoint provides more depth, however, pinpoint mode also suffers no loss in recovery speed. So in essence when using PP mode as your main search mode you have more depth and better target separation, Disc mode then being used to I.D. the target after it's been discovered. To the opposite, and while using Disc mode as your main search mode, you will have less depth and possibly slower recovery speeds should you encounter multiple and/or masked targets. Of course this is all relevant to the ground and conditions being hunted.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That is way Kool!! Seen a few Excals similar but never a Fisher!!

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A couple of reasons involving depth and also recovery time. Traditionally pinpoint provides more depth, however, pinpoint mode also suffers no loss in recovery speed. So in essence when using PP mode as your main search mode you have more depth and better target separation, Disc mode then being used to I.D. the target after it's been discovered. To the opposite, and while using Disc mode as your main search mode, you will have less depth and possibly slower recovery speeds should you encounter multiple and/or masked targets. Of course this is all relevant to the ground and conditions being hunted.

Actually in my case I am hunting in all metal mode which on a cz-21 is incredibly sensitive.. its not just a no disc mode but a very wide edge detect mode. then when i hit a target i switch to disc 0 which gives me the typical 3 tones and I do the manual "X" to center target. I do not ever use the pinpoint button, it's just not very useful except for determining the actual size of a target.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually in my case I am hunting in all metal mode which on a cz-21 is incredibly sensitive.. its not just a no disc mode but a very wide edge detect mode. then when i hit a target i switch to disc 0 which gives me the typical 3 tones. I do not ever use the pinpoint button.

Right, I should have said "all Metal" instead of PP since it's a CZ and not an Excal, but pretty much the same concept/effect.

There are times when I miss my old CZ machines (20/8" & 21/10") as they are very deep machines with great capabilities, they don't get near enough credit.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are you going to stop it from locking up from the sand and salt that gets inside the cable?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did you make the trigger and mechanism out of?

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How are you going to stop it from locking up from the sand and salt that gets inside the cable?

Special nylon cable with channels for grit to escape. Not a problem so far... but have only water detected with it a few hours this week.

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I love it! Only issue for me is the weight of having the control box mounted on the shaft. I've always wanted that feature as a button on the handle w/ hip or chest mount. Nice job.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love it! Only issue for me is the weight of having the control box mounted on the shaft. I've always wanted that feature as a button on the handle w/ hip or chest mount. Nice job.

Actually I have a solution for that too. I use an adjustable sling to carry the weight. I've tried a chest mount and it's nice, but the cable was taking a lot of abuse with that setup.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread