Detective Detector & The Case At Faker Beach

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was 6:51pm when I finally pulled into the parking lot at Faker Beach, two spicy looking dames giving me the once-over as they casually strolled by, and I do mean once and it was immediately over. Sure, they were wearing bling, the brilliant shades of white and yellow around their ankles, fingers, and necks glistening under the hot July sun as they wiggled past. Both of them were blonds and the joke was about to be on me, imagine that.

I counted thirty-eight bodies still on the beach, most of them adult males between ages the of 30 and 60, all of them enjoying the chest deep water, a few kids splashing about in the shallows. From the look of things the beach had been quite busy the past few days, raked and smoothed out on Monday and now looking like an entire herd of buffalo had passed through, trash cans overflowing. Yep, things were looking rather promising.

Wet suit, gloves, wading shoes, detector, scoop, finds-pouch and I was ready to go get to it, the water laying flat and clear and begging me to enter, an appealing invitation that I quickly accepted. Thirty-minutes later and I was still looking for my first target and I didn't much care what it was, wet glistening blind shaking and shimmering in the sunlight all around me. And then suddenly, BANG, my first target, a quarter to get the ball rolling. The rest of my evening yielded a beer can, a dime, a dime, a pull -tab, a penny, and then a man's aluminum Christian ring that was quickly followed by a man's Tungsten junker ring, and that was it! I fared no better the previous night. “FAKERS! PHONIES! FRAUDS! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!” :laughing7:.....Case Closed!

DSC_5327 25 per.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the economic crushing of the middle class over the past 50 years lost real gold jewelry is becoming harder to locate due to it's monetary value against inflated dollars the majority of Americans choose substitute metals for their bling.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the economic crushing of the middle class over the past 50 years lost real gold jewelry is becoming harder to locate due to it's monetary value against inflated dollars the majority of Americans choose substitute metals for their bling.
I work with a lot of guys that asked their wives if they could sell their gold ones and buy tungsten ones or titanium ones and they
bought a gun or other toy with remainder - I brought in a box of rings a few years back and had all kinds of gold - a few platinum and some nice silver
rings and had like a dozen tungstens from that year and most of the guys kept trying on the tungstens - they like the heavy weight of them
lot of guys like the black ones with little bit of gold on them cause of the Bruins

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I work with a lot of guys that asked their wives if they could sell their gold ones and buy tungsten ones or titanium ones and they
bought a gun or other toy with remainder - I brought in a box of rings a few years back and had all kinds of gold - a few platinum and some nice silver
rings and had like a dozen tungstens from that year and most of the guys kept trying on the tungstens - they like the heavy weight of them
lot of guys like the black ones with little bit of gold on them cause of the Bruins

When I was much younger, I was an avid Bruins fan. Then the Jacobs family happened...........
Thankfully, Gary saw fit to add a team to my state.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the bracelet? Was that junk too?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it has anything to do with the economy. I think it is just a trend. The younger generation Prefers Stainess steel and tungsten.Stainless Rolex Submariners and GMTs on the used market are about the same price because the Stainless are Hot and no-one wants the 2 tone or gold ones. This trend will change. It always does.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it has anything to do with the economy. I think it is just a trend. The younger generation Prefers Stainess steel and tungsten.Stainless Rolex Submariners and GMTs on the used market are about the same price because the Stainless are Hot and no-one wants the 2 tone or gold ones. This trend will change. It always does.

The economy in my region of the country is definitely a factor, $20-30hr jobs replaced with $10-12hr jobs on a huge scale. The Chevy dealer here is a close friend of mine and he has had to scale back "a lot" just to survive, businesses closing their doors seemingly every day and those buildings sitting empty. The middle class here is all but gone now, just the haves and the struggling have-nots for the most part. I travel a great deal of the mid-west and those who are suggesting that the economy is recovering are being pretty selective to as where those economies are recovering because it sure isn't here.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, looked good, sounded good, felt good, but can carry it all over the house sticking to a magnet.....:laughing7: A Korean made faker.

Looks like that beach is living down to it's name! :sadsanta:

softsand

Mar 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop, This is off the subject, but I do enjoy your videos, and know you are a student of the excel. Last year I had a problem with my excel where I would turn it on at beach, it was fine. If I turned it off for a minute or two, turned it back on, only got a loud steady unadjustable hum. Sent it to Kelly,s they checked it out, put a new battery in, said they couldn't find anything else. Also recommended a trickle charger which I've been using. Now after less that 20 uses, same thing. But this time it doesn't start out working, loud unadjustable hum as soon as I turn it on. Battery 14 volts on tester. Any ideas????

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop, This is off the subject, but I do enjoy your videos, and know you are a student of the excel. Last year I had a problem with my excel where I would turn it on at beach, it was fine. If I turned it off for a minute or two, turned it back on, only got a loud steady unadjustable hum. Sent it to Kelly,s they checked it out, put a new battery in, said they couldn't find anything else. Also recommended a trickle charger which I've been using. Now after less that 20 uses, same thing. But this time it doesn't start out working, loud unadjustable hum as soon as I turn it on. Battery 14 volts on tester. Any ideas????

I'd hate to take a guess? OBN on these forums is the guy to ask as I'm sure he's probably encountered it before. Mine has done something similar to what you describe when there is contact between the two battery post so maybe check that out, maybe try unscrewing and/or unplugging the battery pod and then back in to see if you can create any change? Other then that you'll need to talk to OBN for more guidance. Sorry I can't be of more help.

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The proliferation of cheap junk jewelry and the cost of the real stuff are major factors I believe. Add in all kinds of trash and it's a lot of work for little reward, except for exercise and eye candy on the beaches.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold is just expensive and people will steal it from you happens every day

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One other "Very likely" issue you might check, if you are using AA batteries (or AA rechargeables instead of a pack), check to make sure that you have all of them in correctly as it only takes one in backwards to cause the exact type of issue you're experiencing. If this isn't the issue then most likely a short across your battery post, maybe just water?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have more than one battery pod (which you should), give that a try and see if it reacts the same. If it does, I suspect you have water intrusion in either the coil (most likely) or the control pod. You can eyeball the control pod to see if there is any moisture inside, or pop off one end to check (headphone end is easiest). Hard to tell on the coil. Sometimes you can dry out the coil and it will start working again. If so, you might be able to coat the coil with some waterproofing sealer and get it to work for a while, but, it's just a matter of time before corrosion affects it's performance. Also, check the cables carefully for any cracks.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop, it really seems to be that so many just go the way of the different rings. My wife and I have very ornate gold bands but I bent the crap out of mine working on one of the cars and tried to get it back to round (at least it came off of my finger) and so we went and bought $100.00 Stainless bands that we can lose and I can beat the pieces out of working on the car or whatever and just replace. Work with several others who are the same way as they didn't want to lose the gold and the cost. I stinks because when you think about it, you find shiny water pipe but all of the people who bought them still paid more for polished water pipe with little designs, etc. Hopefully someone out there is still buying and losing gold so we can still all have a chance to find it.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop, it really seems to be that so many just go the way of the different rings. My wife and I have very ornate gold bands but I bent the crap out of mine working on one of the cars and tried to get it back to round (at least it came off of my finger) and so we went and bought $100.00 Stainless bands that we can lose and I can beat the pieces out of working on the car or whatever and just replace. Work with several others who are the same way as they didn't want to lose the gold and the cost. I stinks because when you think about it, you find shiny water pipe but all of the people who bought them still paid more for polished water pipe with little designs, etc. Hopefully someone out there is still buying and losing gold so we can still all have a chance to find it.

No kidding, I found a ring the other day that had been made from galvanized pipe. Something etched around it that is mostly worn off now. Crazy....but I fully understand your point about durability because gold has never been that. :thumbsup: And I also think "tradition" is seeing a huge decline, I mean if I were to get married again I'd have no problem with tungsten, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread