Best Setting for AT PRO on the beach

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have a hammer ready when you get home. :laughing7:

Best of luck to you. Because it is not built for saltwater, turn your sensitivity down until it stops falsing too much on the wet sand and in the water. It will work great on the dry sand at full sensitivity. Take a good sandscoop!:skullflag:

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT PRO fresh water great ,salt water suck.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to GB when you go from dry sand to damp sand to water - and yes, the salt will get you crazy!

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have the AT Pro and have taken it to the beach several times. I don't do beach hunting a lot, I usually hunt farm fields/ homesteads. I normally have my machine set on Pro with Disrim set to 19 and Sens set at one notch from the top, works great. For the beach I found that coin mode with Sens half way works fine. Of course ground balance first. I hope these tips help, good luck

Bodhi69

Jul 31, 2017
Treasure Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fischer Aquanaut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to work fine in the dry sand with little to no discrimination. In the wet sand I have no problem digging plenty of coins and jewelry using Zero mode, Set your Iron Disc to 25 and drop the first two bars of sensitivity. Additionally make sure to Ground balance it once you get into the wet sand. Regularly dig coins at 5-6 inches in wet beach sand using these settings. The only frustration I have is the amount of surface Iron flakes that signal (but I don't want to increase my iron discrimination)

Bodhi69

Jul 31, 2017
Treasure Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fischer Aquanaut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that any of the beaches on the eastern shore have a lot of iron flakes ranging in size from 1-2cm up to the size of a quarter or Cob. This is due to all of the beach replenishment that occurs after big storms. The large iron pipes they use to pump the sand flakes off in the sand. I always inspect the surface or take a small skim of the sand before digging deep after getting a hit. I also keep a magnet on my scoop which helps pick up some of the flakes. Hope this helps.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heading to Nags Head in a couple of weeks and want to try out my AT PRO in the surf and beach. Any suggestions on best settings and any pointers?

Pro Zero, no notches. In the water you might want to notch out one or two where you get the most falseing but only if necessary. It'll be faintly chatty in the water, but a good target will be loud.

Pull tabs 53-55
Nickels 52-53
Quarters 86
Dimes 81
Pennies 71-75 (they chirp)
Bottle caps (wave the tip of the coil over and you'll hear iron)
Use pinpoint to avoid very large targets (six pack)
Pass on anything 45 or less.

Also avoid digging anything that is REALLY bouncy (from iron to the 90s). Usually metal flakes.

Ground balance often.

Any discrimination will remove useful information so avoid it.

Good luck!

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT PRO fresh water great ,salt water suck.

Suck "ish". I used my ATP in the salt water for the first year and did pretty well. I have found far more with my CZ-21, but my best water find was actually with the ATP.

Single freq VLF so it is not the best choice but when I was hunting with my buddy who was using a CZ-21 and I was using an ATP, I actually dug same number of targets as he did (yes in the water) and found the same amount of jewelry pretty consistently. Later upgraded to a CZ-21... ATP is now a dry sand machine, and backup water machine. ATP is chatty and lacks depth in the water though.

Last edited:

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey blk hole..ive been using my at pro at myrtle beach. To make it work pretty good I have had to manually take the GB down to bout 8 to 11. Of course its not best beach detector but it can be adjusted to work pretty good. With the GB down I have been able to run sense wide open or one notch down...ln the wet sand.I have found clad and bottle caps six inches plus and have found bobby pins 4 inches plus. There is still some noise from saltwater but not overbearing and I can still hear the targets easily {with headphones}. I was using a 15 inch nel coil. I didn't go into the water because with that big coil it was more than I wanted to deal with. all in all it did better than my expectations after listening to people who have never used an at pro tell me that it wont work in the wet sand...lol....Barry

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro Zero
Sensitivity 2 notches from full
Discrimination at 37

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have used my AT Pro here in Florida with no problem. You will have to manual ground balance it in the wet sand and in the water. For me manual at 13 or 12 worked pretty good for me. I have several excal's now and the CTX. Also just picked up a Tesoro Sandshark. I'm up to 8 detectors now and I think that is all I need. LOL. The AT Pro is a great machine. I have found some really nice things with it. Best of luck to you.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get tired of telling people that the AT Pro works good on Florida beaches and in the salt water...they are so used to a VLF machine not working in salt environment, especially the guys that have been in the hobby for years...the AT Pro is not a normal VLF...mine will run stable and hits on targets only about two inches shallower than my CZ21...of course its not as good as a CZ or Excal but it will work in salt environment in Florida...I also made nice finds with mine, using it for one whole summer...found just as much gold that summer as two of my friends found with CZs...it was my first year water detecting, they had been doing it 15 years....my first detector was an ACE 250 and it was useless in the wet sand...so the AT pro is not a waterproof ACE 250 like some think.

FL Treasure Hunter

Dec 31, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, AT Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt quite often in saltwater from 1-3' deep and along the wet sand and the best settings I have found are as follows. (These are what I use and others may have better suggestions but this has seemed to work for me)

Wet and dry sand:
Mode- Pro zero
Disc-40
Sens- 2 notches from full
Ground balance manual- 8 to 12 depending on feedback
------------------------------
Water 1-3'
Mode- Pro zero
Disc- 40
Sens- 3 from full
Ground balance manual- 5 to 8 depending on feedback.

-Happy Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread