Officials warn of sand hole dangers after woman dies at Maryland beach

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...maryland/23069326/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058&

Aug 7th 2017 6:48PM

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WTKR) - A woman suffocated to death in Ocean City, Maryland after falling into a large hole on the beach.

A 30-year-old woman who was vacationing from Texas died earlier this week after she fell into a large hole on the beach.

Officials said her arm was the only thing visible from the sand.

She apparently began separated from her family at around 2 o'clock in the morning and her body was found a hours later on the beach.

U.S. Lifesaving association spokesperson Tom Gill said, "Nationally, there are deaths every year from this and this one in Ocean City is just a horrible reminder of the dangers of holes on the beach."

Gill said the sand can be deadly if is caves in around you.

"It's a preventable incident. People should not be digging deep holes in the sand for the safety of all those around them and people that come along later," said Gill.

Stacy Frade lives in Chick's Beach and she said she takes precautions for her neighborhood and will actually go out on the beach and fill holes that were left behind by others.

"A lot of people walk on the beach here especially at night but if it starts to get dark out you can't really see the holes," said Frade.

Officials say they don't know if the woman fell in the hole or climbed in but either way this is a terribly tragic situation

Beach officials warn people to only dig holes that are knee-deep and they also say that if you do dig a hole make sure you fill it back in before you leave the beach to make sure no one else falls in it or gets hurt.

Upvote 0

ChuckT

Apr 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of a hole? Sounds more like "quick sand" than I'd expect at a beach.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Update on that, it was a possible murder. Under investigation.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on that, it was a possible murder. Under investigation.
Our friend down there (police friend) -
told me that she was drunk and passed out and beach plow did not see here and covered her supposedly
in the early morning and that is how she suffocated

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our friend down there (police friend) -
told me that she was drunk and passed out and beach plow did not see here and covered her supposedly
in the early morning and that is how she suffocated

Funny how the news went from death by innocently falling into a man made hole, to being drunk and run over by a plow. Brother.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprised they didn't say the hole was left by someone metal detecting.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Guy that dug the hole probably had a PI machine...

walnuttree

Jul 23, 2015
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen quick sand on Jersey beaches, sand suspended in water, usually at outfall pipes. It'll suck you in faster than a cult. Or you'll just lose a boot after stepping in it. I've seen a natural 12 ft deep hole that was like 6 ft wide carved by the tide in an inlet, sorry is the fisherman wading along that beach, going from 3 ft to 15 at high tide. Yup, one early morning a gorgeous woman comes to the empty beach and lays out on the dry sand to tan, meanwhile the beach machines are going back and forth, you couldn't see her when she was laying flat, so being the nice guy that I am, I mosey on over near her ,metal detecting all the way, thinking the beach machines will see me and miss her. But, she, thinking I'm just eyeing her up, tells me to skee dattle. So I move on and hope the guys on the beach machine tractors see her in time.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen quick sand on Jersey beaches, sand suspended in water, usually at outfall pipes. It'll suck you in faster than a cult. Or you'll just lose a boot after stepping in it. I've seen a natural 12 ft deep hole that was like 6 ft wide carved by the tide in an inlet, sorry is the fisherman wading along that beach, going from 3 ft to 15 at high tide. Yup, one early morning a gorgeous woman comes to the empty beach and lays out on the dry sand to tan, meanwhile the beach machines are going back and forth, you couldn't see her when she was laying flat, so being the nice guy that I am, I mosey on over near her ,metal detecting all the way, thinking the beach machines will see me and miss her. But, she, thinking I'm just eyeing her up, tells me to skee dattle. So I move on and hope the guys on the beach machine tractors see her in time.
you figure - she might have been totally wasted - night gets cold - she curls up in fettle position - sands blows on her - maybe she rolls in the night - more sand on her - guys are out at crack of dawn - they aren't expecting some one being there - unless they are jogging or doing yoga - or detecting
so I guess it could happen - maybe friends partly buried her to be wise guys - beach plow did the rest :dontknow:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
deep-seeker, thanx for relaying that story.

There was a city beach in So. CA years ago, where some kids were digging "sand tunnels". And .. you guessed it .... sand caved in, kid suffocated. The city therefore made a rule "no digging" or "no holes" or something that effect. *Obviously* to address the tragic situation.

However, some md'rs picked up on this rule , and got "up in arms" that it meant md'rs could no longer "dig" their coins. A literal reading of the rules does indeed seem to say that, eh ? Yet reality dictates that it was NEVER meant to apply to md'rs little holes.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no safety in this world and when you are under the influence, your chances are zero. Sad, but preventable death and what a waste.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The city therefore made a rule "no digging" or "no holes" or something that effect.

That is typical of law makers, not thinking things through before doing anything. Why is it politicians only think about raising taxes and passing laws?

Here are more dumb laws.
=================
You may only throw a frisbee at the beach in Los Angeles County, CA with the lifeguard’s permission.

It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour.

In the city of Carmel:
A man can’t go outside while wearing a jacket and pants that do not match.
Ice cream may not be eaten while standing on the sidewalk. (Repealed when Clint Eastwood was mayor)

In the city of Dana Point:
One may not use one’s own restroom if the window is open.

In the city of Fresno:
No one may annoy a lizard in a city park.

and it goes on and on
thanks to: Dumb Laws, Stupid Laws: We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
That is typical of law makers, not thinking things through before doing anything. ....

You could think of it like that. Or conversely, it can be the citizens (md'rs in this case) "worrying" that the law somehow applied to them. While ... yes .... a strict reading of the rule/law could be interpretted that way, yet it's obvious that it was never meant to apply to md'rs (or sand castles of modest scale, etc....). So to me it's not the lawmakers who are the silly ones here, it's anyone (like us md'rs) who worry that anyone cares if they dig.

99% of the "law" is actual application in actual reality.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread