Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we all get them.

yesterdays conversation with a young father and his son.

Young lad .... What are you doing?

Father..... He is treasure hunting.

Young lad...... ( eyes slightly opening wider) Are you a pirate ?

I answer..... Arrgh matey :tongue3:

Upvote 0

Komzoom

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2016
CedarPark.Tx
Detector(s) used
MMK, C.Scope 4PI, pin
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, these beach questions ...
Two people come up and ask "How much gold did you dig up today?" :icon_scratch:

FLORIDA KEYS PIRATE

Mar 29, 2016
Inverness FL.
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear em talking as I pass by. " Is he looking for fish ? " , " What does he think he gonna find ? " One lady thought it was my job to clean up trash from the beach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Where I'm at is a touristy golf destination (Monterey Peninsula CA). As such, there is tourists from multiple nations on the beach. And the ones that are the most perplexed are those from Japan. They have utterly no idea what you are doing. Like FL-keys-pirate says: They ask if you are cleaning the beach (they think you're an employee or something). Then when you show them what you're doing (by holding out a coin you just dug in front of them, then the confusion only reigns in more. They simply can not understand why any sane person would do this. I guess it's just not in the Japanese culture or mindset.

Kind of makes you wonder that the md'ing must be good on the Japanese beaches, if only the Ex-pat's seem to be doing it there.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm detecting Saturday. Three little kids come up and ask what I'm finding. I show them some cents and give one a penny. The littlest one says "If you go in the water you can find gold rings, people lose them when they're coming out of the water". No joke.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I'm at is a touristy golf destination (Monterey Peninsula CA). As such, there is tourists from multiple nations on the beach. And the ones that are the most perplexed are those from Japan. They have utterly no idea what you are doing. Like FL-keys-pirate says: They ask if you are cleaning the beach (they think you're an employee or something). Then when you show them what you're doing (by holding out a coin you just dug in front of them, then the confusion only reigns in more. They simply can not understand why any sane person would do this. I guess it's just not in the Japanese culture or mindset.

Kind of makes you wonder that the md'ing must be good on the Japanese beaches, if only the Ex-pat's seem to be doing it there.

I'm surprised that they didn't all start taking pictures of you as a curiosity to show their friends Lol! :laughing9:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate the old "Hey, if you find a gold ring, its mine I just lost it !" routine.
I try to force a laugh or come up with a suitable comeback, last one I said Ok, if its got your name on it, its yours.

Kids are funny, one about 9 asked me if it finds dollar bills, right after I told her it was a metal detector. Another inquisitive Arab kid was following me around and I found a quarter, he asked if he can have it.
Usually I turn them down on the theory that accepting things from strangers is not a good idea and I tell them so, but I thought what the heck, hear ya go.
He goes running over to show his parents, then came running back and handed me an orange.
I guess its in their culture if someone gives you something, give them something back, so I accepted and ate it.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
Last year by Naples Pier I was in the water about 30 feet from a pair of dolphins and a couple of foreigners asked me if I was calling them in and talking to them and I simply replied "yes, yes I am".

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year by Naples Pier I was in the water about 30 feet from a pair of dolphins and a couple of foreigners asked me if I was calling them in and talking to them and I simply replied "yes, yes I am".

Hahaha! :laughing7:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Had an experience like this the other day. Being a college town we have international students. 2 Asian gentlemen asked me what I was doing. Then just looked at me like I was crazy when I said looking for old coins and stuff.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Well we all get them.

yesterdays conversation with a young father and his son.

Young lad .... What are you doing?

Father..... He is treasure hunting.

Young lad...... ( eyes slightly opening wider) Are you a pirate ?

I answer..... Arrgh matey :tongue3:

I bet that made him smile!...

I'm detecting Saturday. Three little kids come up and ask what I'm finding. I show them some cents and give one a penny. The littlest one says "If you go in the water you can find gold rings, people lose them when they're coming out of the water". No joke.

Gotto love the little guys, One asked what I was doing then after a short conversation he asked me if the detector can get wet, I said yes..he tells me I can get better things out there..

several years ago, on video..NOTICE his shirt...

OP
OP
G

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another memorable conversation at Daytona beach or maybe new Smyrna beach.

group of teenager approach me.

young blonde girl asks me........What are you doing?

young male in the group answers before I can say a word...... he is looking for sea turtles.

young blonde girl.......Oh cool.

I give a glance at the teenage male who has this little wicked smile on face and say nothing and walk away.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
When asked what I'm doing or looking for my usual response is "that I'm looking for the elusive gold clam".

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate the old "Hey, if you find a gold ring, its mine I just lost it !" routine.
I try to force a laugh or come up with a suitable comeback, last one I said Ok, if its got your name on it, its yours....

My last response to that tired old one was "Well I just found one but threw it back right over there because it was too small."

icatchbigcats

Dec 2, 2012
Just south of the Canadian border
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, E-Trac, Explorer SE, Quatro, Whites PI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being originally from the north country and I was once detecting in a swimming area well outside of swimming season with full gear on including a thick wetsuit, I was once asked if I was looking for a body.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
#1 question:

"What's the best thing you've ever found?"

After hearing this a dozen times in one day, I finally responded "A human ear". The look of shock was fantastic.

This had me giggling to myself all day.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the ones that are the most perplexed are those from Japan. They have utterly no idea what you are doing.
They simply can not understand why any sane person would do this. I guess it's just not in the Japanese culture or mindset.

First off I need to say the Japanese are a coin throwing society. At shrines mostly, in big wooden boxes. (see photo) Next there are shrines everywhere. There is one beach I went to in Shizuoka that just looked like no one has ever hunted there. Lots of tourist, men in suits and women in dresses, AT THE BEACH.

Most Japanese men probably are not aware of metal detecting. They are company men, work 10-12 hour days and then go out and drink till the wee hours. All for the company. No time for a hobby.

My wife is Japanese, but she has lived her for almost 30 years. Like most spouses of MDers she tolerates my hobby.

I do have a brother-in-law (white guy from WI) who lives in southern Japan. He has a metal detector but do not know his results.

I once had a few kids following me at an out of the way playground. Finally one asked me what I was doing. I said I am hunting rattle snakes. They left me alone. Now on a completely different note. At this park My XLT screen showed "$1" Never saw that before. Sure enough I dug up two JFK halves in one hole. Didn't know my MD could add.

Attachments

• shrine_04.jpg
    shrine_04.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 57

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread