Let's invent something! Steve & I hit a swim hole today and it was horrible

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
We were there two hours. I retrieved two pieces of trash successfully. Steve got a penny successfully.

The bottom was rock, of many sizes. We were both using Stealth 920iX's.

I know I played with one target for a long time, and never did retrieve it.

How about say a 4' long tube, with optics, and a light at the bottom to maybe be able to see the target?

Anybody ever done anything like that?

Upvote 0

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how about a clear lens on the end of a pvc pipe with a waterproof flashlight attached on the outside?

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
how about a clear lens on the end of a pvc pipe with a waterproof flashlight attached on the outside?

That's kinda like what I was thinking. Probably the issue would be in focusing the optics involved. The optics would have to be adjustable. Probably be better using say a 5' length of PVC pipe, that way we could get pretty close to the bottom. Maybe I should have studied optics versus liberal arts (my glory years of the early 70's).

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mask and snorkel....heck, just a mask and a waterproof light. Locate the target with the tip of your toe once you've pin pointed it with the coil and down you go. If you use a small coil, say a 5", you should be able to pin it down really accurately. Mike and I ran into this same thing on a beach in Michigan several years back, targets everywhere but we couldn't retrieve them due to all of the rock. Small coil and a mask cured that.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mask and snorkel....heck, just a mask and a waterproof light.

Simple as that! Thanks for bringing me back to Planet Earth in my expectations!

Simple solutions rule!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still thinking of a scope too. That black water today at chin deep was pretty murky.

Comes with the territory I guess. I'd found a titanium ring there last time we went there.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterproof pinpointer, gloves, and digger to get a hand hold on those bigger rocks. Oh, and patience. I fan and fan then scratch and pry, fan some more... pinpoint, repeat.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Like Big scoop said but another op.. if it would pay off and it would take some tweaking to get it water ready.
OBN0003.jpg

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple waterproof flash light mounted on the detector's shaft.

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a guy on youtube that has what looks like a stealh scoop, but is about half the normal width. He goes by "Ed the Beach Hunter." He uses that scoop for working rocky riverbeds. Sounds like the scoop you may want for those conditions.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kinda like what I was thinking. Probably the issue would be in focusing the optics involved. The optics would have to be adjustable. Probably be better using say a 5' length of PVC pipe, that way we could get pretty close to the bottom. Maybe I should have studied optics versus liberal arts (my glory years of the early 70's).
You don't really need a telescope type thing. Used to make them out of PVC and a poop load of silicone to hold the lens in. Silicone was still kind of state of the art then, super glue wasn't invented. Now you can go pick up 5 or 6" dia pipe easy. a piece of plexi and a couple of chocks (for mooring boats) for handles. Now you can add some LEDs around the bottom for illumination. We really had nothing to mickey mouse with back then, but today you should be able to throw together a stellar viewer cheap! Oh, we also cut holes in our paddleboards you know, the kind that took two healthy kids to tote, and used a rubber glue to glue the lens of a dive mask to the bottom then glassed around the edges and screwed the rubber part of a dive mask to the top. Also, if you paint the inside of the tube flat black it helps a lot.

Hope that gives you a couple of old skool ideas from back when Christ was a private!

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow i just remembered taping 3-4 coffee cans together and bending the end can into a mask shape and using it to find crappies (fish) from a row boat. spray paint the inside flat black to cut glare. Never tried a light but put one on the outside you should see 5-6 ft easy unless it's that muddy.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you are good friends and don't mind splinting - work as a team at spots like that - one guy swings - other mask and snorkel and pin pointer (orang carrot)
you don't even need the pinpointer really - just pull rocks away and recheck - when I hit in the rocks - items always stand out against the rocks
I drop and fan all the time in heavy rocks where scoop is useless (look at some of Aquachiggers rocky river hunts - he never uses a scoop - drops and fans)
if you think theres definitely plenty of gold to be found - spend the extra and build a snuba or get a hookah - if you split it wont cost as much and you can
get 2 person hoses

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
example - river hunt of mine yrs back - no scooping here - bout 4 ft of water
I dropped down and fanned - saw 2 coins wedged in rocks - had friend on shore swim out with camera
silver quarter wedged with clad - cool sight to see

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow i just remembered taping 3-4 coffee cans together and bending the end can into a mask shape and using it to find crappies (fish) from a row boat. spray paint the inside flat black to cut glare. Never tried a light but put one on the outside you should see 5-6 ft easy unless it's that muddy.
Well , that was some fancy gear you used....:laughing7:
g435_larry-and-eal_s-new-fish-finder-greeting-card_mg_5617.jpg

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you are good friends and don't mind splinting - work as a team at spots like that - one guy swings - other mask and snorkel and pin pointer (orang carrot)
you don't even need the pinpointer really - just pull rocks away and recheck - when I hit in the rocks - items always stand out against the rocks
I drop and fan all the time in heavy rocks where scoop is useless (look at some of Aquachiggers rocky river hunts - he never uses a scoop - drops and fans)
if you think theres definitely plenty of gold to be found - spend the extra and build a snuba or get a hookah - if you split it wont cost as much and you can
get 2 person hoses

Mike & I do this very thing.....:thumbsup:
PS: A small coil really helps with the recovery process.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I was going to suggest an Aqua View. I've found necklaces tangled on underwater tree branches while Crappie Fishing. Purely Accidental Finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread