Going out at low tide tonight!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 1869er
  • 1 Post By redcobra8u
  • 1 Post By 1869er
  • 1 Post By cudamark

Thread: Going out at low tide tonight!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2009
    Florida
    White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
    29 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Going out at low tide tonight!

I'm on the West Coast of Florida. This big storm in the gulf that hit Texas has caused torrential rains over the last two days. I did a quick hunt last night, but the rain forced me to leave after 30-45 minutes, found a few clad coins, but that was it, they all looked like they had been in the water for a while. One thing is for sure, the recent storms have shifted the sand around quite a bit, wonder if any nice gold rings might have shifted as well?

I so wish I had a PI detector. All I have right now is a White's MXT, and its only fair detecting in wet sand. After the rain it started giving me weird readings last night, however its was raining pretty hard towards the end.

I saw a nice old Whites Surf PI in a local add recently, but unfortunately I can't afford a new detector right now. Ugh, I'd buy it in a second it I had some spare cash on hand.
    Last edited by 1869er; Aug 27, 2017 at 01:32 PM.
    JustKeepDigging likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    ZO6 Guy

Jan 2014
    Los Angeles
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
    1331 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Good luck out there. I'd probably look for a used excal over a PI machine..equal performance with some ability to discriminate.
    RustyGold likes this.

us
    Jan 2009
    Florida
    White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
    29 times
    Oh yeah, I'd like an Excal even more, quite a bit more expensive though. I need to find some gold to help fund my new detector, lol.
    redcobra8u likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8596 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Under normal conditions, gold doesn't move much if any. It usually just sinks deeper until it hits a solid layer. The sand/dirt/silt may come and go however, so, hitting an area under the right conditions can work out well. If your storm has removed some sand, there's a better chance to find the gold. Now, if we're talking a hurricane, all bets are off! That kind of storm can move anything. Still, the gold probably wouldn't move far. Look at the treasure coast and other areas with known shipwrecks. The gold is still there, even after centuries, and dozens of major storms and hurricanes.
    RustyGold likes this.
    ​Avitech Associate

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1330 times
    Metal Detecting
    Waves and wind are not always the winning combination. Big waves and a lot of wind will usually a crapload of sand on the beach because the waves are coming in constantly.

You want big waves and a long period, so the sand has time to get drawn out and dropped off shore before the next set comes thru. I spent a lot of time learning this the hard way, fighting crazy storms and rain and finding only more sand.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

us
    Jan 2009
    Florida
    29 times
    Yeah, I did go out the other night on Sunday. I went to two different beaches. I really didn't find anything except 80 cents in clad coins and one 5 pence English coin. The second beach I hit, there was already three guys working the beach at 10 pm. Its a popular spot for MDers, and usually picked over pretty well.

Sponsored Links