Going out at low tide tonight!

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on the West Coast of Florida. This big storm in the gulf that hit Texas has caused torrential rains over the last two days. I did a quick hunt last night, but the rain forced me to leave after 30-45 minutes, found a few clad coins, but that was it, they all looked like they had been in the water for a while. One thing is for sure, the recent storms have shifted the sand around quite a bit, wonder if any nice gold rings might have shifted as well?

I so wish I had a PI detector. All I have right now is a White's MXT, and its only fair detecting in wet sand. After the rain it started giving me weird readings last night, however its was raining pretty hard towards the end.

I saw a nice old Whites Surf PI in a local add recently, but unfortunately I can't afford a new detector right now. Ugh, I'd buy it in a second it I had some spare cash on hand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck out there. I'd probably look for a used excal over a PI machine..equal performance with some ability to discriminate.

OP
OP
1869er

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, I'd like an Excal even more, quite a bit more expensive though. I need to find some gold to help fund my new detector, lol.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under normal conditions, gold doesn't move much if any. It usually just sinks deeper until it hits a solid layer. The sand/dirt/silt may come and go however, so, hitting an area under the right conditions can work out well. If your storm has removed some sand, there's a better chance to find the gold. Now, if we're talking a hurricane, all bets are off! That kind of storm can move anything. Still, the gold probably wouldn't move far. Look at the treasure coast and other areas with known shipwrecks. The gold is still there, even after centuries, and dozens of major storms and hurricanes.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Waves and wind are not always the winning combination. Big waves and a lot of wind will usually a crapload of sand on the beach because the waves are coming in constantly.

You want big waves and a long period, so the sand has time to get drawn out and dropped off shore before the next set comes thru. I spent a lot of time learning this the hard way, fighting crazy storms and rain and finding only more sand.

OP
OP
1869er

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I did go out the other night on Sunday. I went to two different beaches. I really didn't find anything except 80 cents in clad coins and one 5 pence English coin. The second beach I hit, there was already three guys working the beach at 10 pm. Its a popular spot for MDers, and usually picked over pretty well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions