JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I have noticed after some of my water hunts, a little bit of water has been getting in by the battery. Not enough to stop the machine, but it looks like it's slowly doing some damage. Im using one rubber ring should I be using two?? What may be causing this issue? Any help would be great [emoji106]🏼! I always put oil on before I go out as well, right in these spots. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504486310.844392.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504486390.647081.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as water is not getting into the battery housing, it's fine.

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No water, not even a drop should get inside the tube.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I might recommend pulling the endcap and cleaning out the pod, and check the endcap it'self for cracks. ...Use a eye loop and check very close.

Once all looks OK, put all back together. Silicon grease the oring, slip in the endcap, seal the endcap to battery pod using aquaseal..shoegoo..fill the little gap with a thin coat. Let dry over night, then a couple small dabs on the joint again then slip on the black protective shrink wrap cover.

And clean that ikelite with a dremel, wire brush. That is the positive side that is crud ed up. Once clean silicon grease it well..put the gasket on and grease it well also..

Last edited:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WHERE IS YOUR RUBBER GASKET that goes between the connector and the pod? DO NOT submerge the detector without it in place, electrolysis will eat up the pins on the connector and the ones in the pod.

Clean up the pins. A bit of baking powder and dish soap between your fingers and rub the pins if you do not have any electrical contact cleaner - a better choice. The use either of the preceding on a Q-Tip in the two "holes" on the battery pod. Next "rinse" with alcohol. Let dry. Re-assemble with the rubber gasket in place. You should be OK to go detecting again. If you do not have a gasket or have lost it, try your local dealer or call Minelab for a replacement. I have also seen replacements on the auction sites.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like WW........ are you using the gasket? Looks like water is causing the battery to jump and you are getting corrosion. Id take that ikelite apart to ensure the wires are clean inside... just one screw. Put some silicon on those wires and put back together. After cleaning like Joe says, put some anti corrosive on a q tip and clean the female connectors on the end cap as well. I bought some thicker gasket used for cars...... used a leather punch and a bridle leather punch to make my own. I felt the way the ML gaskets were used and the thickness was causing me to tighten the cap and end cap more than needed .... thus causing some of the end caps to crack.

OP
OP
JustKeepDigging

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WHERE IS YOUR RUBBER GASKET that goes between the connector and the pod? DO NOT submerge the detector without it in place, electrolysis will eat up the pins on the connector and the ones in the pod.

Clean up the pins. A bit of baking powder and dish soap between your fingers and rub the pins if you do not have any electrical contact cleaner - a better choice. The use either of the preceding on a Q-Tip in the two "holes" on the battery pod. Next "rinse" with alcohol. Let dry. Re-assemble with the rubber gasket in place. You should be OK to go detecting again. If you do not have a gasket or have lost it, try your local dealer or call Minelab for a replacement. I have also seen replacements on the auction sites.

Yeah I mentioned I'm using currently one gasket. I had a bad water leak about four months ago and sent it in for repairs. They actually sent me back the detector with that one part looking corroded still. So that's not from currently, that was from previously. I'm surprised they didn't clean it for me but I guess I can do it. Thank for all the info!!!

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OOPS... I missed you mentioning that you are using one gasket, is it in good shape, no tears or sand particles.
One gasket should do it, two my even cause a leak. Petroleum and vegetable based oils are no-nos for rubber and poly-carbonate parts. Most silicon grease / oil is an insulator, it is not good to use on the electrical contacts. A bit of electronic contact lubricant just on the two pins should be OK if you use anything at all.

OP
OP
JustKeepDigging

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OOPS... I missed you mentioning that you are using one gasket, is it in good shape, no tears or sand particles.
One gasket should do it, two my even cause a leak. Petroleum and vegetable based oils are no-nos for rubber and poly-carbonate parts. Most silicon grease / oil is an insulator, it is not good to use on the electrical contacts. A bit of electronic contact lubricant just on the two pins should be OK if you use anything at all.

Perfect! Thank you again for all the info. [emoji3]

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Use this, there is no better. Molykote 111 made by Dow, I need to order another myself..might be a good idea to pull the knobs and grease the top o rings..something that should be done once a year no matter how many times you use the Xcal.

20170904_133617.jpg

OP
OP
JustKeepDigging

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505505249.365974.jpg
How should I reattach this? What kind of glue? And at what point should I place the glue?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1494668 and thats it..

How should I reattach this? What kind of glue? And at what point should I place the glue?

You need to put a thin coat of shoegoo or aquaseal to fill that gap between the pod and endcap..let dry over night, then a small dab of the shoegoo or AS to hold the black shrink wrap in place. Let dry

FLORIDA KEYS PIRATE

Mar 29, 2016
Inverness FL.
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to give mine a good going over and make sure I don't have any issues in the making that I haven't noticed yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr. B

Mar 23, 2017
SW Fla.
Detector(s) used
2-Exal 2s Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never use a petroleum base on O-rings. Use silicon grease.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Never use a petroleum base on O-rings. Use silicon grease.
I don't think anyone said anything besides Silicon grease on the O rings. Now for holding the black shrink wrap cover aquaseal or shoe goo, and that can be used to seal the endcap to pod gap also, as mentioned.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aquaseal question: I bought a tube and used a bit of it and closed the cap. Next time I go to use it it has solidified near the cap. I punch through and can use a bit more of it and close the cap. Now again I try and use it but forget it - I'd have to tear open the tube and get what I can for a last use try. Is this typical with this stuff?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Aquaseal question: I bought a tube and used a bit of it and closed the cap. Next time I go to use it it has solidified near the cap. I punch through and can use a bit more of it and close the cap. Now again I try and use it but forget it - I'd have to tear open the tube and get what I can for a last use try. Is this typical with this stuff?

Yes, best to punch a very small hole, seal tight and refrigerate. A tube last me about a year and I buy the big tube.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1494668

Clear silicone caulking is what I use and it works very well, wipe a thin coat around the inside of the rubber boot, put boot on and hit it with a heat gun or hot air dryer for a couple minutes then let it sit over night. Rubber boot is only to protect the o-ring from UV rays, it has nothing to do with keeping the pod waterproof. If for any reason you remove the allen set screws when you put them back on DO NOT COUNTER SINK THEM! You can crack the end cap by doing so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread