My very first cross in the water

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve and I did 4 water holes in 4 hours today. This hunt was nearly target free. I found not a single coin - so it would be tempting to say we'd had a fruitless hunt. But I found the very first cross I've found metal detecting. It's a nice one (but not precious metals) - Mom immediately claimed it. I did get to take a picture of it.

Mon Sep 04 17-40-10.jpg Mon Sep 04 17-40-58.jpg

It only takes one target to change your day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Save Deepseeker! That cross has changed many!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I love finding cross. Congrats

Really it's still hard to believe. Mostly I never gave a rat's tail about many things. I've never owned a cross, never found a cross - but I guess I will say that I've always belonged to the cross - on a hill far away.

I need to find another now though.

Mom at 92 promptly grabbed that one - said it is her's. Who am I to argue???

:) :) :)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet cross find Deepseeker, glad your found something for your efforts. Ya just never know what's there until you swing your coil over it.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet cross find Deepseeker, glad your found something for your efforts. Ya just never know what's there until you swing your coil over it.

You're right there! We hit 4 sites and were darned lucky to get a signal at each of those. I heard noises in the sand/clay/rotted leaves/AND MUD - sinking calf deep, but none were repeatable.

Let's define that term repeatable.

For the new guys, they have to hear a thousand signals or more before the start seeing a pattern of sounds. It boils down to if the signal goes zippity doo dah and doesn't hold over a second pass, it's a walk away.

A thousand signals or more, you start second sense - "feeling" those sounds which matter.

The legends of this hobby never had TID. They had their ears - the nuances in the signal - One Way Or Another - Gonna gitcha :) I often mention the term "solid" - You swing one way = bing bang boom. Change the angle & swing again, get the same it's a dig = PERIOD.

Say it plays you a different patter on the change angle swing - you gotta slow down and listen to the swing changes for a little bit.

After all, we don't want to kill innocent grass when the signal itself doesn't believe in itself enough to stay solid each pass ........

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats!!! :hello2:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really it's still hard to believe. Mostly I never gave a rat's tail about many things. I've never owned a cross, never found a cross - but I guess I will say that I've always belonged to the cross - on a hill far away.

I need to find another now though.

Mom at 92 promptly grabbed that one - said it is her's. Who am I to argue???

:) :) :)

Lol God bless her. At 92 SHE IS you biggest treasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the cross, and appreciation for your comment "It only takes one target to change your day." I'll be tacking that one up next to "Today's the day!" :occasion14:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job...love the Cross!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the cross! I would never have been able to keep it if I found it as my wife would have scarfed it up so if your Mom loved it, great! At least you know you found it and she's enjoying it! Time to go find more! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Time to go find more! :icon_thumright:

Tomorrow will be my first dirt dig since early June. I want gold/silver/platinum instead of tungsten/stainless steel/titanium. We'll still hit some water in the next few weeks wearing wet suits, but with the rarity of signals lately, it doesn't encourage us to get at it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread