ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 90 but the 20s are easier to use imo. my next one will be a 20.
make a mock up if you can and see which one fits you; not everyone likes the same angle.

OP
OP
redcobra8u

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 90 but the 20s are easier to use imo. my next one will be a 20.
make a mock up if you can and see which one fits you; not everyone likes the same angle.

That's a good idea. Thank you.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use the 20, just my preference......no regrets...........i have the carbon handle. Extremely well made scoop and handle, probably indestructible.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
I have the 920i with CF handle, can't beat the quality and performance you get, money very well spent!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My preference is the 20 also. I like to go straight down into the sand instead of at an angle, so, with the 20 I don't have to lean forward as much to use it. Less chance of target damage to go straight down and work forward under it. If your hunting area is rocky, I'd get the 720. If no rocks, I'd get the 920. Hybrid screen for those tiny earrings and other targets that fall through the regular screen, if that's important to you. Otherwise, the standard hole size sifts a bit easier.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helpful answers and a timely question -- I'm in the market, as it were. Thanks all!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've the 920iX, but chose an ash handle versus the $100 for the CF handle. So mine is super heavy and it does get tiring. I may replace it with CF during our off season.

And with cudamark's statement about rocky bottoms - absolutely yes. I've been considering a different scoop for those rocks.

Also for those little earing posts etc, Steve attached screening to the bottom to catch those little pieces. You scoop, it falls through, scoop again and it falls through, 20 scoops and still not recovered and you walk away never knowing what that nice target was. I'm putting a screen on mine!

Last edited:

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
I have 90 degree angle and it works fine!

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 720 with the cf handle and a custom milled aluminum assist handle we developed to ease one handed digging.

Waiting for IRMA to pass than hitting the Treasure coast beaches.

Attachments

• IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 631

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personal preference really...both my Stealthscoops have the 90 degreee tube mount. I tried the 20 degree angle scoops and found it didn't suit me....handle is initially too close to my body when digging. I dig by holding the scoop with an outstreteched straight arm and then plant the toe of the scoop into the sand...I then have plenty of pulling leverage towards my body......can't go too far wrong with either.

The 90 degree mount allows effortless sifting when the scoop is still on the seafloor so unless I am in heavy shells, the scoop is usually empty of any sand by the time it breaks the surface. An offset 20 degree mount puts a lot more stress on the hand and wrist when doing this procedure.

Last edited:

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
For whatever it is worth, I too prefer the 90. You may have to lean forward more to put it straight in, but when you pull back on the handle the full scoop almost lifts itself out of the hole for you. I wasn't sure I would like the 90, but I prefer it now. Personal preference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread