What We Learned From Our Recent Michigan Trip

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

sonofdust

Jan 30, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I have to agree. Michigan's not worth hunting..

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I have to agree. Michigan's not worth hunting..

Sure it is! But just have to realize that all of the easier pickings are being routinely pounded now. Still "a lot" of good places to hunt up there, just have to accept that the easily accessible places are going to be getting picked through. Still a lot of old gold and other recoveries to be made up there as well as recent drops at some of the more out of the way locations. Research! Research! Research!

I ran into this same thing in Indiana, changed tactics, and started doing rather well again. :icon_thumleft:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know quite a few beaches around here that you'd be lucky to find a bottle cap at - They are pounded to death daily by locals.
I have even been driven back onto the sand in some locations, with some success.
I don't get discouraged, I keep looking as there are bound to be something they missed or very recent drops, its fun trying anyhow.

There is this one beach I used to do great at, they don't allow detecting between memorial day and labor day, the day after labor day its open season there.
3 years ago it was just me and 2 other guys, found i gold ring, a silver bracelet and 2 stainless rings. Next year I missed, last year I got there about the crack of dawn, still dark.
I was amazed to see about 25 guys out in the water, some with flashlights on their heads. I went out and found 2 rings anyhow.
This year, just last week in fact, I went back and there was about 8 guys out there and a couple combing the sand.

Didn't stay long, my wetsuit leaked and it was cold, detector started falsing so this year there was a bust.
I ordered another wetsuit so hopefully will be back out in the water soon with less competition, to see what they missed.

I think the reasons for increase in people detecting beaches is 2 fold -

* AT Pro, before that you'd have to spend $1K+ to get in the water, now you can do it for half of that.
* Youtube videos exploding with beach detecting, many people watch and think hey, I'd like to do that, so they do.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuesday & Wednesday I'll be hunting a lake where I've been doing pretty well this year, this lake has a large & popular beach on it. I'll never step foot on that beach.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tuesday & Wednesday I'll be hunting a lake where I've been doing pretty well this year, this lake has a large & popular beach on it. I'll never step foot on that beach.

Why is that ?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is that ?

Because that's where 95% of your competition is at, all scrambling for the same recent drops. If you look at your typical lake, really look at it, less then 5% of the potentially productive shoreline is getting hunted. This is the mistake we made during our last Michigan trip, we targeted this same 5% of shoreline that everyone else is now routinely hunting. Not much promise in that.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is true, when assessing hunting grounds alot depends on the beach itself, how much spare time you have, availability of other hunting areas and the type of competition you have.
If they are the type to swing their coils half a foot in the air and don't even come close to overlapping, they are going to miss more than they find. If they are slow and methodical, probably not worth going behind them.

Most go for the "towel line" and the wet line, so it can pay off the go outside of these areas.
I once stumbled upon an undisturbed time capsule section of beach, found 8 silver quarters from the 40's-50's, about 20 dimes, a few buffaloes and wheats and class rings. Most no more than a few inches deep.
It was right at the far end of a horseshoe shaped beach, hardly anyone goes back that far anymore. I think thats the reason no one detected it, they figured no one lays a blanket there, no one kicks a ball there so nothing is there.
Plus its a little hike to get there, for years I never bothered with that area, I finally made the effort and glad I did, I spent the next 2 days pounding that section. So you never know what you may find off the beaten path - No one goes back there now but apparently back in the day they did.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"A lot" depends on the actual condition of the bottom and how much overburden in the form of muck & silt that there is. This is something else I really try to get dialed in on. Does us no good to swing coils over targets that are too deep to be detected.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was referring to sand hunting but I guess the same would apply in water, maybe more so.
Generally, the deeper you go the better odds of finding virgin bottom ,,, But its tough for a wader to go past chest depth, which is why not many do it.
I've been up to my neck and retrieving targets is a challenge, would probably do better snorkeling.

sonofdust

Jan 30, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the good stuff been dug up here but I hear down by Detroit is killer? :icon_thumleft:
I couldn't agree with you more Xraywolf. The rivers and lakes do real good, you just have to hit the out of the way places.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will be getting back in the water Tues/Wed with a change in strategy, we'll see what happens?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread