Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Looking for a Water Detector Recommendation

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2012
    Virginia
    MXT, AT Pro
    168 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnar28 View Post
    You may want to look at an AT Pro, a screened detector with interchangeable coils and headphones. In heavy trash, a screened detector can have an advantage over a "beep and dig" machine. And any beep and dig machine has a significant learning curve - but can be a very powerful tool once you really learn how to use it.

There is at least one metal detecting club in Seattle, as well as a physical metal detecting store in Seattle that carries Tesoro and Garrett products. It may be helpful to see what machines others are using and then actually compare them head to head. You can also check out the wet suits etc that others in your area use.

If you will be at rocky shorelines, a stainless steel European point scoop has a definite advantage. The stealth 720i is a good size scoop that would serve you well now and in the future. A zippered finds pouch/trash pouch is easier to use if you are wearing gloves.

Use caution when water detecting, especially if using waders. I never ever go alone, you can drown. A manual inflate PFD is a good idea.

BTW, the DFX is an excellent machine, I still have one and use it with a Bigfoot coil.

HH

Charles
    I use a AT PRO, shallow water, nothing higher than my chest, since at that height I am to buoyant to be able to dig. Target separation and having a screen that give me a target ID makes all the difference for me. I can skip all that junk if I so choose and just dig mid range numbers from 45 to 71, or dig it all.
    flgliderpilot likes this.

ca
    Steve

Jan 2017
    Nova Scotia
    Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
    23 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I can't believe no one recommend whites mx sport

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Deus XP, AT Pro, F75SE, Ace 400
    1839 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post
    I think that lost its luster early on with all the leakage problems [which I myself was a victim of, didn't last 10 minutes in the water before dying].
    Have heard that problem has been rectified, but still sticks in memory and comes up in search results.

Charter Member
    us
    Garry

Nov 2013
    Treasure Coast
    Minelab CTX 3030 Garrett AT Pro Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch Tesoro Sand shark Whites prizim 4 Minelab Go 20 Stealth Extreme 920I Sand Scoop Garrett AT Pro
    1156 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xraywolf View Post
    AT pro great in the water if you want to keep total under $1k.
    I use a mesh bag and carbiner clips to store both finds and trash.
    I use a 5mm wetsuit when it gets cold, pinpointer not necessary in the water.

Good scoop is mandatory, Steaths are great quality but a bit overpriced in my opinion, theres a guy from Ukraine on ebay that sells scoops of comparable quality for a fraction of the price.
    Ships quick and you'll have saved $150+. Not knocking stealth, if nothing but the best will do and $$ no object, get it and the $170 handle why you are at it [I use a $10 home depot rake handle].

So you would be looking at [approximately]:

* At pro - $550
    * Scoop - $80 [$250-300 if stealth]
    * Wetsuit - $70-150 [prices,quality and fit can vary wildly, best use local store if able]
    * Dive boots/gloves/mesh bag - $40

If you are Whites loyal they have water detectors, your total will go over $1k. Same for Excalibur, $1,500 just for the detector.
    Worth it ? Probably so if you are very serious and want to find every metal scrap down to 1', you may not want to be digging bobby pins at 10" though. I am content getting everything at half that depth. Some bottoms are sandy and easy to scoop, some like rock and nearly impossible, and everywhere in between. A top of the line, very sensitive detector IMO is overkill for a beginner, and might even lead to more frustration than anything.
    But also, something you can grow into, so it depends on your outlook.

Can obviously google for opinions and reviews, you will find good and bad about all of them.
    The Excal kills it and in the discrimination mode you won't dig bobby pins. The AT pro is a great machine and can be used in saltwater. I have one and have used it and found some great finds but having said that here in Florida you will get a lot of chatter. I have two Excal and the CTX. They both kill it in and out of the water.
    If you don't look for it you won't find it!! So get out there and dig it.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Deus XP, AT Pro, F75SE, Ace 400
    1839 times
    Metal Detecting
    I will likely bite the bullet and get an Excal soon, upgrades are always nice and never hurts to have a spare machine.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Minelab_CTX-3030 Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    22979 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post
    There is a reason for that, most of us want recommend a detector we would not use ourselves.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

When you legislate a person's rights away a piece at a time naive citizens don't notice...

The Patriot Act is anything but patriotic, denying citizens our freedoms and privacy in the lie of government security is allowing evil to win.. I will take my chances with the terrorists over tyranny...

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

Nov 2015
    24 times
    Check with Seattle local hunters before you buy, the mineralized volcanic black sand in our area is particularly nasty make sure the machine you choose can handle it. I attempted to detect a freshwater river beach once with a ML Explorer with only an 8 inch coil, it was undetectable, like sweeping a cast iron plate. Really depends if the black sand is dispersed in the soil which will only be noisy and difficult to penetrate to get depth or if its concentrated in layers like that river beach was. Just saying.

Also DON'T DROWN lake hunting can be dangerous, people have drowned doing it, step in a hole blub blub blub under they go.

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, AT Pro, Ace 350
    636 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesUpstateNY View Post
    Check with Seattle local hunters before you buy, the mineralized volcanic black sand in our area is particularly nasty make sure the machine you choose can handle it. I attempted to detect a freshwater river beach once with a ML Explorer with only an 8 inch coil, it was undetectable, like sweeping a cast iron plate. Really depends if the black sand is dispersed in the soil which will only be noisy and difficult to penetrate to get depth or if its concentrated in layers like that river beach was. Just saying.

Also DON'T DROWN lake hunting can be dangerous, people have drowned doing it, step in a hole blub blub blub under they go.
    This is a good suggestion. An AT Pro gives few issues down here in FL but our ground is mostly sand. Definitely check with locals to see how any machine performs locally before buying. Used is good, got my ATPro in nearly new condition for $350
    Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, AT Pro Pointer

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2015
    Wisconsin
    Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube
    677 times
    Shipwrecks
    OP_

Great that your seeking guidance BEFORE buying..on that note...MY EXPERIANCES AND MY OPINIONS...as far as water hunting.

I live in WI...98% of my water detecting is freshwater. If your a diver like I am, I can without reservation...give you 2 suggestions as far as detectors.

Tesoro Tigershark for FRESHWATER. IMO one of the most sensitive detectors for gold hands down. I have sniffed out earring backs at 8+".

Excaliber..yup. yup..yup.

Most importantly..LEARN what the detector is saying to you.

And invest in a GOOD scoop.

Just my .2

Best of luck!!

ag

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links