Looking for a Water Detector Recommendation

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

I've been considering getting a water detector and would love your input. I haven't ever actually hunted in the water before, but there are numerous lakes here in the Seattle area I would love to get better acquainted with :).

I can think of one in particular that is enticing. There was a resort on this lake from the 1930s-1950s. I've found some silver coins and loads of wheaties on the land next to it, but I'm sure I wasn't the first person to detect there. One winter, when the water level dropped, I found a couple mercs on the part of the shoreline that isn't typically accessible.

Anyways, long story short, I'm considering buying a water detector. I've just gotten back into detecting this summer after a several year hiatus. My land machine is a White's DFX. I've always loved this machine. It might be a little behind the times but I'm happy with it.

Anyways, I imagine most of my detecting with the water device just being wading up to 5 feet or so to start. Scuba is a dream of mine but probably a ways out. I imagine doing primarily freshwater hunting, but saltwater is also a possibility someday (but probably not in the immediate future).

Anyways, my total budget would be around $1000. I don't have any of the gear so I'd need to purchase a wetsuit, waders, booties, headphones, and a scoop as well.

That said, do you have any recommendations? Like I said, I love White's but would be open to trying something new if there's a strong consensus in another direction.

Thanks so much for your time guys!

-Washingtonian

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with Seattle local hunters before you buy, the mineralized volcanic black sand in our area is particularly nasty make sure the machine you choose can handle it. I attempted to detect a freshwater river beach once with a ML Explorer with only an 8 inch coil, it was undetectable, like sweeping a cast iron plate. Really depends if the black sand is dispersed in the soil which will only be noisy and difficult to penetrate to get depth or if its concentrated in layers like that river beach was. Just saying.

Also DON'T DROWN lake hunting can be dangerous, people have drowned doing it, step in a hole blub blub blub under they go.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check with Seattle local hunters before you buy, the mineralized volcanic black sand in our area is particularly nasty make sure the machine you choose can handle it. I attempted to detect a freshwater river beach once with a ML Explorer with only an 8 inch coil, it was undetectable, like sweeping a cast iron plate. Really depends if the black sand is dispersed in the soil which will only be noisy and difficult to penetrate to get depth or if its concentrated in layers like that river beach was. Just saying.

Also DON'T DROWN lake hunting can be dangerous, people have drowned doing it, step in a hole blub blub blub under they go.

This is a good suggestion. An AT Pro gives few issues down here in FL but our ground is mostly sand. Definitely check with locals to see how any machine performs locally before buying. Used is good, got my ATPro in nearly new condition for $350

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP_

Great that your seeking guidance BEFORE buying..on that note...MY EXPERIANCES AND MY OPINIONS...as far as water hunting.

I live in WI...98% of my water detecting is freshwater. If your a diver like I am, I can without reservation...give you 2 suggestions as far as detectors.

Tesoro Tigershark for FRESHWATER. IMO one of the most sensitive detectors for gold hands down. I have sniffed out earring backs at 8+".

Excaliber..yup. yup..yup.

Most importantly..LEARN what the detector is saying to you.

And invest in a GOOD scoop.

Just my .2

Best of luck!!

ag

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread