Looking for a Water Detector Recommendation

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

I've been considering getting a water detector and would love your input. I haven't ever actually hunted in the water before, but there are numerous lakes here in the Seattle area I would love to get better acquainted with :).

I can think of one in particular that is enticing. There was a resort on this lake from the 1930s-1950s. I've found some silver coins and loads of wheaties on the land next to it, but I'm sure I wasn't the first person to detect there. One winter, when the water level dropped, I found a couple mercs on the part of the shoreline that isn't typically accessible.

Anyways, long story short, I'm considering buying a water detector. I've just gotten back into detecting this summer after a several year hiatus. My land machine is a White's DFX. I've always loved this machine. It might be a little behind the times but I'm happy with it.

Anyways, I imagine most of my detecting with the water device just being wading up to 5 feet or so to start. Scuba is a dream of mine but probably a ways out. I imagine doing primarily freshwater hunting, but saltwater is also a possibility someday (but probably not in the immediate future).

Anyways, my total budget would be around $1000. I don't have any of the gear so I'd need to purchase a wetsuit, waders, booties, headphones, and a scoop as well.

That said, do you have any recommendations? Like I said, I love White's but would be open to trying something new if there's a strong consensus in another direction.

Thanks so much for your time guys!

-Washingtonian

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buy an Excal 2 good for all water and land, 200 ft. under water. 8 inch coil if you can find one .

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Washingtonion, I had asked pretty much that same question recently, where as you and I are at that same place in wanting to water hunt. I received some really great feed back from fella's on this forum. It's in the sub-forum, beach & shallow water hunting, under the thread title "Garrett sea Hunter Mark II" I believe it was. Again, got some really good advice, gave me a pretty clear direction for me to go with what I want to do, may answer some of your questions as well. My edit, I just now noticed that you were already on beach/shallow water thread, was not paying attention.

Last edited:

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Excalibur is the way to go. I love mine and have the CTX 3030. I love them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just recently got an excal but used a Tesoro Tiger Shark for 3 years with great success. Tiger Shark is around $650 new with LIFETIME WARRANTY and you still have enough to get a Stealth 920 Scoop. If it is a Virgin Site, You could pay for the whole works in no time. Then get an excal if you want to salt water hunt.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Washingtonion, I had asked pretty much that same question recently, where as you and I are at that same place in wanting to water hunt. I received some really great feed back from fella's on this forum. It's in the sub-forum, beach & shallow water hunting, under the thread title "Garrett sea Hunter Mark II" I believe it was. Again, got some really good advice, gave me a pretty clear direction for me to go with what I want to do, may answer some of your questions as well. My edit, I just now noticed that you were already on beach/shallow water thread, was not paying attention.

Good call. That was helpful to read and thank you to everybody! These thoughts are really helpful. Has anyone done a write-up on what gear is nice to have out there? I imagine some sort of pouch for holding your finds, maybe a weight belt, a scoop, pinpointed, etc.

Thanks!

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may want to look at an AT Pro, a screened detector with interchangeable coils and headphones. In heavy trash, a screened detector can have an advantage over a "beep and dig" machine. And any beep and dig machine has a significant learning curve - but can be a very powerful tool once you really learn how to use it.

There is at least one metal detecting club in Seattle, as well as a physical metal detecting store in Seattle that carries Tesoro and Garrett products. It may be helpful to see what machines others are using and then actually compare them head to head. You can also check out the wet suits etc that others in your area use.

If you will be at rocky shorelines, a stainless steel European point scoop has a definite advantage. The stealth 720i is a good size scoop that would serve you well now and in the future. A zippered finds pouch/trash pouch is easier to use if you are wearing gloves.

Use caution when water detecting, especially if using waders. I never ever go alone, you can drown. A manual inflate PFD is a good idea.

BTW, the DFX is an excellent machine, I still have one and use it with a Bigfoot coil.

HH

Charles

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT pro great in the water if you want to keep total under $1k.
I use a mesh bag and carbiner clips to store both finds and trash.
I use a 5mm wetsuit when it gets cold, pinpointer not necessary in the water.

Good scoop is mandatory, Steaths are great quality but a bit overpriced in my opinion, theres a guy from Ukraine on ebay that sells scoops of comparable quality for a fraction of the price.
Ships quick and you'll have saved $150+. Not knocking stealth, if nothing but the best will do and $$ no object, get it and the $170 handle why you are at it [I use a $10 home depot rake handle].

So you would be looking at [approximately]:

* At pro - $550
* Scoop - $80 [$250-300 if stealth]
* Wetsuit - $70-150 [prices,quality and fit can vary wildly, best use local store if able]
* Dive boots/gloves/mesh bag - $40

If you are Whites loyal they have water detectors, your total will go over $1k. Same for Excalibur, $1,500 just for the detector.
Worth it ? Probably so if you are very serious and want to find every metal scrap down to 1', you may not want to be digging bobby pins at 10" though. I am content getting everything at half that depth. Some bottoms are sandy and easy to scoop, some like rock and nearly impossible, and everywhere in between. A top of the line, very sensitive detector IMO is overkill for a beginner, and might even lead to more frustration than anything.
But also, something you can grow into, so it depends on your outlook.

Can obviously google for opinions and reviews, you will find good and bad about all of them.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Tigershark (lifetime warranty!) when you only stay in fresh water. Excalibur if you want to go in salt water to. I have both detectors and both with very good results.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks,

I've been considering getting a water detector and would love your input. I haven't ever actually hunted in the water before, but there are numerous lakes here in the Seattle area I would love to get better acquainted with :).

I can think of one in particular that is enticing. There was a resort on this lake from the 1930s-1950s. I've found some silver coins and loads of wheaties on the land next to it, but I'm sure I wasn't the first person to detect there. One winter, when the water level dropped, I found a couple mercs on the part of the shoreline that isn't typically accessible.

Anyways, long story short, I'm considering buying a water detector. I've just gotten back into detecting this summer after a several year hiatus. My land machine is a White's DFX. I've always loved this machine. It might be a little behind the times but I'm happy with it.

Anyways, I imagine most of my detecting with the water device just being wading up to 5 feet or so to start. Scuba is a dream of mine but probably a ways out. I imagine doing primarily freshwater hunting, but saltwater is also a possibility someday (but probably not in the immediate future).

Anyways, my total budget would be around $1000. I don't have any of the gear so I'd need to purchase a wetsuit, waders, booties, headphones, and a scoop as well.

That said, do you have any recommendations? Like I said, I love White's but would be open to trying something new if there's a strong consensus in another direction.

Thanks so much for your time guys!

-Washingtonian

For primarily shallow fresh water, I'd probably go with an AT Pro, since you can work land and water with one machine.

If you are going deeper than 10ft and/or going to be searching in salt water, I'd go with something else (Excal or CZ-21)

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice all.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your budget is around 1k I would look at the new AT Max. It has upgraded features from the pro. The pro is an awesome machine so hopefully the new features of the max make it even better.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me and I was only looking at freshwater I'd look for a used At-Pro and then I'd also buy a couple of extra coils from say 5" to around 15". With a good selection of coils you'll be able to cover most any hunting situation in a pretty efficient manner. No sense in buying new if you don't have to and that selection of coils will make you more versatile and effective. I'd also use that extra money on a decent long handled scoop.

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to look at an AT Pro, a screened detector with interchangeable coils and headphones. In heavy trash, a screened detector can have an advantage over a "beep and dig" machine. And any beep and dig machine has a significant learning curve - but can be a very powerful tool once you really learn how to use it.

There is at least one metal detecting club in Seattle, as well as a physical metal detecting store in Seattle that carries Tesoro and Garrett products. It may be helpful to see what machines others are using and then actually compare them head to head. You can also check out the wet suits etc that others in your area use.

If you will be at rocky shorelines, a stainless steel European point scoop has a definite advantage. The stealth 720i is a good size scoop that would serve you well now and in the future. A zippered finds pouch/trash pouch is easier to use if you are wearing gloves.

Use caution when water detecting, especially if using waders. I never ever go alone, you can drown. A manual inflate PFD is a good idea.

BTW, the DFX is an excellent machine, I still have one and use it with a Bigfoot coil.

HH

Charles

I use a AT PRO, shallow water, nothing higher than my chest, since at that height I am to buoyant to be able to dig. Target separation and having a screen that give me a target ID makes all the difference for me. I can skip all that junk if I so choose and just dig mid range numbers from 45 to 71, or dig it all.

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
I can't believe no one recommend whites mx sport

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't believe no one recommend whites mx sport

I think that lost its luster early on with all the leakage problems [which I myself was a victim of, didn't last 10 minutes in the water before dying].
Have heard that problem has been rectified, but still sticks in memory and comes up in search results.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
AT pro great in the water if you want to keep total under $1k.
I use a mesh bag and carbiner clips to store both finds and trash.
I use a 5mm wetsuit when it gets cold, pinpointer not necessary in the water.

Good scoop is mandatory, Steaths are great quality but a bit overpriced in my opinion, theres a guy from Ukraine on ebay that sells scoops of comparable quality for a fraction of the price.
Ships quick and you'll have saved $150+. Not knocking stealth, if nothing but the best will do and $$ no object, get it and the $170 handle why you are at it [I use a $10 home depot rake handle].

So you would be looking at [approximately]:

* At pro - $550
* Scoop - $80 [$250-300 if stealth]
* Wetsuit - $70-150 [prices,quality and fit can vary wildly, best use local store if able]
* Dive boots/gloves/mesh bag - $40

If you are Whites loyal they have water detectors, your total will go over $1k. Same for Excalibur, $1,500 just for the detector.
Worth it ? Probably so if you are very serious and want to find every metal scrap down to 1', you may not want to be digging bobby pins at 10" though. I am content getting everything at half that depth. Some bottoms are sandy and easy to scoop, some like rock and nearly impossible, and everywhere in between. A top of the line, very sensitive detector IMO is overkill for a beginner, and might even lead to more frustration than anything.
But also, something you can grow into, so it depends on your outlook.

Can obviously google for opinions and reviews, you will find good and bad about all of them.

The Excal kills it and in the discrimination mode you won't dig bobby pins. The AT pro is a great machine and can be used in saltwater. I have one and have used it and found some great finds but having said that here in Florida you will get a lot of chatter. I have two Excal and the CTX. They both kill it in and out of the water.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will likely bite the bullet and get an Excal soon, upgrades are always nice and never hurts to have a spare machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread