What's the Scoop?

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking to purchase a Stealth 920iX scoop but have a question regarding the handle. I plan to pack the scoop when I head on vacation and saw that they make a travel handle but it is almost $200. I am ok with the $235 for the scoop but I think the carbon fiber pole, I am sure it is worth it, but a bit much. I plan to give my Tesoro Sand Shark to my wife and buy an Excal 2 as we are doing salt water detecting next year at Sebastian Beach, Fla. Any idea's as to a pole? Also is the 20 percent tilt on the handle a good idea?

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my 920 IX Hybrid with 20 degree hardwood shaft. My scoop hass the tiny slots in the back to catch those small post earings. I put 1/4 inch screen in the bottom {zip tied} and a magnet in the middle to catch the bobby pins, etc. The screen is not good in damp sand but works great in the water.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pole angle is purely personal preference. I have a 90 but found that I prefer a 20. Thatll be my next Steath.
Another option for traveling is to not take your pole and just pick up a throwaway wooden one at HomeD/Lowes when you arrive.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not in the least worth it IMO, I 2nd the home depot rake handle suggestion, just $10.
I wrapped mine in pipe insulation foam for extra buoyancy, floats but barely which is just the way I like it. Has lasted 3 tough seasons and ready for more, would take quite an effort to snap it.

Just keep in mind you'll need something to secure it [1" screw].
Nothing to stop you from making this into a travel handle, but I would think the joint would then become a weak point which may or may not be up to the strain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions