NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

I was hoping that maybe some of you guys could tell me if it's possible to remove and re-lube all of the upper existing O-rings on my Excal II control pots with silicon grease. I haven't used my Excal in quite sometime, about 3 years, due to severe physical sickness. I finally got my detector out of the closet a few nights ago to re-charge the battery pack and noticed that the control pots have gotten very tight from not being used. Naturally I don't want to screw the pots up by trying to twist them off with too much force.

Or, would it be better for me to go ahead and replace all the original upper O-rings with new ones? And, if so can someone please tell me where to get new ones? Maybe someone would have the correct part number for the direct replacements and a source if I need to go that route. Anyway, I would really appreciate any advice with this issue.

I have always gently sprayed the outside of the control housing off with fresh water after each hunt.

Thanks again,
Greg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Know are hard to turn because they are dried out, highly recommend you have all new o-rings installed, remember the o-rings are what keeps it waterproof, if they fell your looking at a new mother board. Parts are not sold so need to send it in.

OP
OP
N

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply. It has never fell, or been dropped. The O-rings are just dry and need lubing or replacing. Where can I find replacement rubber orings without a major labor overhaul? I can pick out the old ones myself, and insert new ones. If I can find a source.

p/s I'm deplorable too. So are my dogs, and my wife ;-)

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, don't know where you can find them after market and Minelab doesn't sell them, only used for repairs they receive. Be careful, if you use the wrong size or type you will flood your detector.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
Check out Joe beechnut video channel on YouTube. He has a video of how to remove/replace upper O rings and I believe the supplier that makes them. Usually you only need to replace the upper rings. Not that difficult.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Check out Joe beechnut video channel on YouTube. He has a video of how to remove/replace upper O rings and I believe the supplier that makes them. Usually you only need to replace the upper rings. Not that difficult.

OBN! Just the person I was going to recommend.
Use Dow Corning Molykote 111 Compound to lube the new O-Rings.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the reply. It has never fell, or been dropped. The O-rings are just dry and need lubing or replacing. Where can I find replacement rubber orings without a major labor overhaul? I can pick out the old ones myself, and insert new ones. If I can find a source.

p/s I'm deplorable too. So are my dogs, and my wife ;-)

Source: McMaster-Carr Size: Smaller oring 2 per shaft- 1.5mm thick x 3mm ID, 6mm OD
For size make sure you contact OBN before ordering. Good Luck!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple years back I believe I saw a video on this forum of how to change them out. I just can't remember who posted it. Good luck!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI.....Repair center gets a lot of excals worked on by someone other than a Minelab tech who thought they could do their own work and they destroyed their motherboards, new motherboard is $300 with labor.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

OP
OP
N

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the replies. I have been away from my computer for a few days and I apologize for the slow response, I'm sorry about that. I did talk to OBN about this issue and I am in the process of getting new rings and grease for these pots. McMaster-Carr :icon_thumright:

Your help is very much appreciated

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread