Advice about "wet suits"

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fear this may be a little "long winded", but here goes. I have detected nearly 30 years, all on land, have always loved it. WATER hunting is new for me, and of course there is a learning curve, and I have had some trial and error, in fact some of it rather comical, but I found that I really want more of it, a whole new area for me. I am rather sure that I'll never be up to the level as some here, (Scuba Diving), and that's O.K., the deepest would most likely be chest deep. So.... bought my first wet suit, reason being, I have gone out a couple of times with insulated chest waders, and while doing so knew to be very careful about it, in that if I should should step into an unseen hole or to trip on rocks, I could instead be wearing an anchor. At some point in time, I plan to teach myself to do a little snorkeling, but baby steps first. Finally, my question. The water here can be a bit on the chilly side, so I ended up with a two piece 7mm wet suit, I guess what's called a "farmer john" style, the lower being bibs, and then with the coat. ANY tips etc. for getting in and out of these things? Getting in was a bit of work, and when suited up, felt like a great big "Gumby" type character, or wearing a body size compression stocking, and that's OK, getting out of them however, I nearly put my back out getting out of the lower half, these are things that you DO NOT see off camera, suiting up, and out. The two piece will work well for me, in that at many places the lower half will be all I need, until at least it becomes colder here. Now I did also buy what looks like a body size "speedo" type thing, makes it a little more easy. So it seems here for me, suit up in the bibs at home, and then drive to the spot, and drive home again wearing them, because it would be a water only day, and not water and land hunt, because it's not like these puppies slip on and off, at least in public, wearing that "form" fitting undersuit, or not, would be perhaps be something of a public service to remain unseen. Just what and how do you fella's go about it all, consider me a "pollywog" asking advice from the "bull frogs". As I've often said, we learn as we go, and I am at the very start of this. I have the interest, but lack the experience. Added note; that zip up the front under suit thing? I think it might be what's called a rash guard. I asked my wife if I looked hot in it or what, she still hasn't answered, Hmmmmmm.....

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
When they're tight you peel them off inside out. When they're dry you restore them. When I first started using mine it was tug of war and I bought a size larger. That one didn't keep me as warm. On impulse, the next hunt I went back to the original pair and then pulled them off inside out. Not a problem that time at all.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres no great way in and out of these things lol. My "dry suit" is tight and I usually just end up driving home and peeling it inside out in the shower. Wash it with dish soap (although I just let the shampoo and soap do it) hang it inside out for a day, then outside out until you are ready to get in again. My larger size short "spring suit" is easier than the dry suit but lets way more water in and out. Its better than nothing. I bought both suits at thrift stores 3000 miles apart for 8-10 bucks each!

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some manufacturers are putting zippers in creative places and angles, but like others said, you mostly have to peel them off. Having someone to help unpeel you can help a lot too. I have a new shorty that has a diagonal zipper that is easier to get into and out of, but im not sure if the short sleeves/legs are mostly responsible for that or not.

Also please allow me to suggest that if you go out in waders again, use a bungi/belt/something around the chest to stop or at least slow the flow of water into them in the event of a dunking. (if you don't already do so)

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We use 50/50 mix of unscented lotion and water in a spray bottle to get our suits to slide on easily when suiting up getting them off i agree with above post just peel off inside out.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to get an anti-rash shirt to wear under the wetsuit. If they don't fit tight, they don't insulate as well. At least, that's what I've been told about the fit.

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Remember..any neoprene you wear...adds buoyancy...not just warmth. The suit HAS to fit correctly in order to trap a layer of water that is heated by your body. You do NOT want water flushing in the suit.

I am not a fan of Farmer Johns due to the massive amounts of Neoprene. End up like the Sta puff marshmallow man.

My suggestion is get a GOOD one piece suit properly fitted..or if ya wanna REALLY stay warm and spend hrs..invest in a drysuit with proper thermal undergarments. Thats about the only way you can really spend hrs in water and not become core temp compromised.

Just my .2 YMMV

ag

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fit is the most important factor when purchasing a wetsuit. You must try on the wetsuit, as every wetsuit manufacturer's size chart is different. Thickness is also important. The thicker the suit, the warmer. 'Smoothie' neoprene stretches better and is warmer in windy conditions. Seams are also important. The types
of seams used in a wetsuit differ greatly.

An "Overlock" seam is found on inexpensive suits. This type of stitch lasts forever but it is not watertight, and can cause skin irritation or a rash as it protrudes against the skin. A "Flatlock" seam is a flat stitch that does not push into your skin like the overlock. It is not watertight, but does not cause as much of a rash or chaffing problem. The "Blindstitch," is a flat stitch that does not penetrate all the way through the neoprene, so there are no stitch holes. It is watertight which makes a tremendous difference. Blindstich seams are found only on more expensive wetsuits.

Last but not least, wetsuit zippers - or closures, are extremely important. "Back-zip" suits are the most common type. Look for a sturdy metal zipper (rather than plastic), and thick flaps behind the zipper to prevent water flushes. You would look for the same qualities in a "Shoulder-zip" suit. :skullflag:

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell ya, you fella's have been great with your comments, all of them. Had my first "real attempt" yesterday, and learned a lot, and will do more. Even if MY limit would be say chest deep, it again opens a whole new area for me. I like having the option of a "surf & turf" type of hunt. Only needed the lower half of the wet suit yesterday, and it went well. A little at a time. Learned more of what to take or not, and recovery methods etc. and will find my comfort level in any water hunting that I might do. And "YUP", peal the bibs off, inside out. Also made new friends with a bunch of little fish following the coil around. I already know that a hood, face mask and snorkel will be moving in with me next week. Again, good advice fella's, Thanks.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Advice about "wet suits"

Slightly off topic since it isn't about fit but might be a useful tip for you sprailroad. I haven't had to do it detecting yet but for diving when we knew the water would be cold (we're talking Great Lakes diving in November cold), we would take a kettle, heat some water to bath temp. and pour it into our suits just before starting our dive. That gets a nice warm layer of water into your suit rather than your body having to heat that initial layer of water from the lake.

Uaplumber23

Greenie
Jun 8, 2008
N. Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put plastic bags on your feet to help your feet slip through.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always dust the inside of my wet suites with corn starch, before slipping them on.
I used to use talcum powder, which works better, but stopped using - possible carcingen.

Wet Suits are far easier to get out of than in - all you have to do is peal them off,, which turns them inside out..
Just clean with fresh water after finish using - then turn inside out again for storage and future use/=.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sir Gala Clad makes a good point. It's a very good idea to wash down the wetsuit inside and out when done. Because you wouldn't want to wear it mildewed.

TIME TRAVELER

Greenie
Jan 27, 2006
Cape Coral Fl 33990
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000,Garrett At PRO, Whites Surf Master PI, WHITES DFX, MINELAB EXCALIBER 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As above, all instructions are correct. Just about any ways can get in or out of a wet suit. I live in sw Florida. I use wet suit going snorkeling or scuba. Otherwise I’m in shorts a t shirt when wading. I Would rather water hunt than dry sand. But where I live Ft Myers The water never seems to get clear enough to se the bottom and that makes it hard to retrieve targets. So I got me a hooka rig. Battery powered. Then I can see fairly good on bottom and couple feet ahead of me. But I had other reason to get the rig. Like u and every one else, I could only go chest deep. So I said if I could go deeper than chest deep off the beach, it’s never been hunted. And I would need a scoop to scoop up all those gold rings! Well I’ve used for couple years now. Ain’t found nothing to brag about Ha.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some manufacturers are putting zippers in creative places and angles, but like others said, you mostly have to peel them off. Having someone to help unpeel you can help a lot too. I have a new shorty that has a diagonal zipper that is easier to get into and out of, but im not sure if the short sleeves/legs are mostly responsible for that or not.

Also please allow me to suggest that if you go out in waders again, use a bungi/belt/something around the chest to stop or at least slow the flow of water into them in the event of a dunking. (if you don't already do so)

Yes, I used to use a wetsuit caving, and the kneepads, elbow pad and climbing harness, helped partition-off the moisture, that you end up heating with your valuable calories...! You'll feel the moisture pump as you move.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions