A Question For OBN

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it just me or do the ring sizes of these older gold rings tend to run on the small side? :laughing7: In recent weeks we've recovered several old gold rings that we can't even fit on our pinky fingers, this even including old class rings. What's up with that? Is this just a fluke or is this the norm? :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very normal, Most of the rings run between a size 4 and 8.. This year I have several that fit my pinky, and a few that slip on but far from fitting my ring finger.

I just hit a run of about 30 plus rings last month and all of the signets are 4 to size 6, I know the kids did not wear gold back then..

This years, minus a few give away's ....

OBN0000.jpg

Thanks for the ring box Mr Casper

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesomer collection! And thanks for the reply. Casper sent me a PM informing me that back in the day pinky rings were common and even considered fashionable. So I guess that explains the mystery. I was completely miffed why so many of these old gold rings were running so small, now I know. Thanks guys! :icon_thumright:

PS: Where can I get some ring boxes? Right now i have all of my rings tossed into in glass jars.....:laughing7:

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just a small sample of pre 1940s rings - all what I would call pinky rings
people didn't wear rings on every finger back then - and ring finger was for wedding rings (for most people)
Most of your jobs were manual labor and you would not want rings that could get ruined or get caught on or in machinery
during the industrial age or if you were a farmer
Plus men did not wear fashion rings much back then
just plucked a few pics of rings that only fit past one joint on my pinky finger - the 2 old signets are real small
I have not done in depth research but I bet class rings were first made for girls schools - think about it back then
don't know why a guy would want to wear a ring - other than a wedding band
as time went on - it probably became a badge of honor to show you went to school and were educated
26.JPG 1917.JPG 1928.JPG 1930.jpg 1937.JPG
DSC00134[2].JPG 29CLASSRNGCRUSTED.JPG DSC00199.JPG J23casp.jpg 33 DS0060.jpg
DSC00006.jpg

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OBN any tips on cleaning old gold rings you can share with us?

Most come out in good condition and I'll use a little Mothers Mag wheel polish, the others I don't do the best job probable but I use a dremel with the super fine wire brush to remove the tarnish then use the Mothers.

OBN0007 (2).jpg
OBN0358.jpg
20170524_154822.jpg OBN0002.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN, THIRTY in the last month? I've not found 30 in my LIFE! Well done. You hit it in the water, I assume. I however, stay high and dry. Cats don't swim very well.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OBN, THIRTY in the last month? I've not found 30 in my LIFE! Well done. You hit it in the water, I assume. I however, stay high and dry. Cats don't swim very well.

In the water, from 8/21/17 to 9/23/17 I got 41 gold rings. Best run I've ever had. How fast can that change..since 9/24 to today..10 days no gold. But I did do overtime during those good days cause if you don't it will get covered before you know it. And it has...

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya..... fashionable MOB want a bees lol.

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
just a small sample of pre 1940s rings - all what I would call pinky rings
people didn't wear rings on every finger back then - and ring finger was for wedding rings (for most people)
Most of your jobs were manual labor and you would not want rings that could get ruined or get caught on or in machinery
during the industrial age or if you were a farmer
Plus men did not wear fashion rings much back then
just plucked a few pics of rings that only fit past one joint on my pinky finger - the 2 old signets are real small
I have not done in depth research but I bet class rings were first made for girls schools - think about it back then
don't know why a guy would want to wear a ring - other than a wedding band
as time went on - it probably became a badge of honor to show you went to school and were educated
View attachment 1500659 View attachment 1500660 View attachment 1500661 View attachment 1500662 View attachment 1500663
View attachment 1500664 View attachment 1500665 View attachment 1500666 View attachment 1500667 View attachment 1500669
View attachment 1500668
The sixth ring, with the Greek letters, is my fraternity- SAE. There should be a number on the back. It will determine it's age. SAE was established in 1866. The emblem is a lion and Minerva. The letters below are Phi and Alpha.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Wonder if I can get OBN to overhaul my ol blu this winter...hmmmm...

ag

Thank You...
Unfortunately I no longer work on them but there is a new service center coming for Minelab Machines in PA and there is Matty St Germain who now works on them also. I am now a fulltime Pirate. :laughing7:

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If there is a number, the smaller the number, the older it is. For example- My number is 212086. I was in college during the 80's. With that number, I am sure you could determine the original owner.

PI JOE

Feb 17, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field White's IDX-PRO Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's good young man what a record year you're having. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread