(Excal) Coil cable connector choices?

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking to add interchangeable coils to my excal and now see some additional IP68 connectors I hadnt seen before. I see the "aircraft" ones with blue endcaps, some from China with no metal screw threads, the 3M's, and Amphenols. Pricing $3.25-15.00. Any feedback from you on experience with them? When you buy a 3rd party coil for the excal do they come with a connector or do you always need to chop whatever's there off and install your own (beach hunting)? Lastly, are all brands unique and not interchangeable with others?

Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have used the original Coiltek connectors with never a problem, except that they were not easy to interchange coils. Earlier this year I bought the $7 set form the Ukraine - one connector for the control box end with 3 connectors for different coils. They are very easy to install and exchange coils. I have not had a problem yet and I do not expect any. I did wrap the assembled connectors with a wrap of good electrical tape just to add a set of suspenders to the belt. Google Waterproof IP68 4 pin connector,for Minelab Excalibur modification.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
B

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they physically larger than the Amphenols (like you see in OBN photos)?
Has "LTT" mark on the side but I've never heard of the company but looks good in photos.

Last edited:

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recommend you look into Ikelite waterproof connectors vs the IP## plastic stuff. They are used for Ikelite waterproof underwater camera housings.

OP
OP
B

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will not be taking it underwater- just surf/sand. I mainly want to experiment with coils to find my best one. I may also look at making my own coils at some point too. Once done with all this I'd just wire direct.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I use only the 3M Stainless Steel for the coil...Not the Amphenols, I'll be switching the headphone endcap to SS this year. Wish I could find a SS in the M12-8 CTX head phone connector. These are used hundreds of hours a year under, in saltwater

OBN0111 (2).jpg
OBN010 (2).jpg
OBN0366.jpg
20170116_011418.jpg
17350947_1345546355513280_510849834_n.jpg

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The above Waterproof IP68 are in-line connectors, not panel mount as OBN's.
Physical size is approx. 3/4 diameter over center and 3 1/4 long when assembled.
As you can see I have a wrap of electrical tape around the connector and I have also affixed the connector to the shaft with a wrap of electrical tape.

Attachments

• IMGP2214.JPG
    IMGP2214.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you guys think of plastic vs metal threads on the interconnects? The salt water seems to wick up the metal on my CTX.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you guys think of plastic vs metal threads on the interconnects? The salt water seems to wick up the metal on my CTX.

Pictured above..Im sure over 1000 hours in saltwater.. No Issues.

I do like Water Walkers for sure, very easy, fast and it works. I might recommend checking it once a year or at the end of the season if you happened not to have changed out the coils.

OP
OP
B

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You lost me - "water walkers"?
On the excal photo there is a rubber o-ring that helps keep the water out of the threads - but on the CTX the connectors are spaced out more and there is just the one inside the female. The 3M look good as long as the second o-ring stays there...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread