Have You Been Tricked By The Trash?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who hasn't, I've dug plenty of half dollar signals to be fooled by some piece of trash.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i dug a lot of silver signals and it was cans

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you guys got the wrong idea from that article. Everyone gets fooled by trash, however, what that article is explaining is how good finds are being discarded in favor of chasing trash. Maybe read it again with that in mind....happens way more often then many think.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, didn't read it, just went with the premise of the post title.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Most places here trash is rare (unless you hunt close to shore), a great rule for me is to X and Circle areas where there is a good chance of multiple good targets. And I have found several gold rings because I thought I had got the original target. When I'm finished with a area it feels like a mine field.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most places here trash is rare (unless you hunt close to shore), a great rule for me is to X and Circle areas where there is a good chance of multiple good targets. And I have found several gold rings because I thought I had got the original target. When I'm finished with a area it feels like a mine field.

I know that feeling....:laughing7: About a week ago I got a gold ring and two pulltabs in one scoop.....it was sort of a :BangHead:-:occasion14: moment.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, you've educated and inspired me and I'm getting much better so next year I'm going for 100 and I think I can make it? :thumbsup:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
By the way, you've educated and inspired me and I'm getting much better so next year I'm going for 100 and I think I can make it? :thumbsup:

Yes, the right locations can be the big payoff!
Thanks You!
I get inspired by others, I can be lazying around.......... I start seeing gold posted.... I start planning the next day out. I have to be careful I don't get to excited, then I can't sleep.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That is the main reason I love detecting bullet beach. Bullet beach is a very popular boaters hang out on lake St Clair. Some waders detect it but many of the WW1 practice 30-06 and 45 bullets fall through their scoops. They then leave them. You would not believe how many gold rings I have found by removing bullets and still getting a signal only to find gold. Sure I get hundreds of bullets out of that area. But as a diver I can pick them up and keep detecting. It will be a sad day when all the bullets are gone and the waders will then find the gold I can.

A good article. Just like the waders I know that dig trash and toss it back. WHY does anyone who scoops want to find the same target more than once? I don't understand some detectorists at all. I can see not chasing a bullet, however I can also see why I find a lot more gold than waders do in that area.

Last batch of bullets and last gold ring from the area

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember bullet beach - Thing that got me about it wasn't the bullets but the nasty grey muck, defies sifting and a bit smelly.

I often use a tow along floating sand sifter to avoid just the type of scenario in the article.
I dump my scoop in that and keep looking for the target, if it is a multiple then the 1st one will be in my sifter. I'm surprised more guys don't use them , easy and cheap to make and once you got it clipped on you hardly know its there until you need it.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is why I ALWAYS double check the hole, the plug and/or what I have removed from the hole with a pinpointer or the detector. This is especially important when getting a good high-low signal. I would rather be thorough than fast.:icon_thumright:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know others that were tricked out of goodies because of trash - one instance was a few yrs ago I hooked up with small group of land hunters
from TNET - we met at some huge farm fields that go back to colonial times - we picked one field where some "tree coins" had been found in the past
we parked at the edge of the road - a spot where they and other hunters had parked many times before - along with many other kids partying and hikers and dog walkers had too. You could see squashed plastic bottles and cans and other trash along the road side. We hunted for like 3 hrs and decided to head back to our vehicles and take a lunch break. We came from all directions and the others had shut their machines down and were walking the last 50 yrds...while I kept on swinging. I was about 20 ft from my jeep and I could see the trash sticking out of the dirt in the broken corn stalks. I getting blasts to the riught ...blasts to the left. Then I got a blast but it was not the same sound as the can ones - it was reading as a silver dollar instead of half dollar which
is what most of the can parts were. The other four guys were laughing and asking what I thought I was going to dig. Told them "I got a silver dollar reading"
They laughed and all said "you got a can". I had been using my machine for around 20 yrs and knew it might be junk but did not believe it was a can. I told them "you guys probably never hit this close to the road cause of all the junk?" - a few said they tried but just too much trash and don't remember any good.
I said "this dirt is just as old as that dirt over there and there could be goodies masked by the trash" - they all kind of agreed. "I see your point..' The soil was packed because of all the vehicles that drove over it. I started to dig - target was down around a foot. One guy walks over and says to the others with a wink "I want to watch he dig a silver dollar" I pried up a big clump out of the hole and I could see a bent piece of silvery metal sticking out - it's a spoon and its tarnished and it's marked sterling!. It ended up weighing in at close to what a silver dollar would - reason for it reading as a silver dollar. They all almost shat.
They would not have believed it if the guy looking over my shoulder had not seen it come out of the clump. At the time silver was around $25 and ounce - so I told them they had al passed over a $25 ticket all those times they had been there before.
Have had similar experiences before in trashy spots.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember bullet beach - Thing that got me about it wasn't the bullets but the nasty grey muck, defies sifting and a bit smelly.

I often use a tow along floating sand sifter to avoid just the type of scenario in the article.
I dump my scoop in that and keep looking for the target, if it is a multiple then the 1st one will be in my sifter. I'm surprised more guys don't use them , easy and cheap to make and once you got it clipped on you hardly know its there until you need it.

I see a guy wadding at our beaches with a set up like that, and he does well. Hunts all year, while us land lovers are researching

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I see a guy wadding at our beaches with a set up like that, and he does well. Hunts all year, while us land lovers are researching

You are in Michigan and someone hunts beaches all year? I have never seen a beach not frozen over here. Where is he finding salt water?

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are in Michigan and someone hunts beaches all year? I have never seen a beach not frozen over here. Where is he finding salt water?

Well Scuba, He said all year, I'm sure he meant well past swimming season, until it freezes up.

Apr 7, 2014
MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, Garrett AT Pro
Guess I will be making frequent stops at a park I found. It's like the place pull tags go after they are pulled from the can. Like pull tab heaven. There are hundreds of these signals. I skipped over so many there. LOL Now I want to go hunting again

Sent from my SM-G930P using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread