Is this real?

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a heart attack is this real? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508604866.128787.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508604888.694763.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508604902.962934.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508604916.924720.jpg
Found in ocean city Maryland

Upvote 0

Shane508

Sep 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a lot of those. I got them from a gift shop. The pack they came in was called "Pirate treasure" or something of that nature. I remember when I got bored with them, I threw them around, thinking it would be funny to trick people. Now that I metal detect, I no longer think it's a funny joke lol.

OP
OP
rykroll

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brass or copper maybe not sure I use a pi

OP
OP
rykroll

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why is it not real just curious so I know what to look for?

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry, clearly not real
Cobs are stamped , crisp and clean
your coin shows sort of a liquid flow
Not to mention the design of both sides appear to be bogus

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best I can tell you is to compare it to pics of real one. The first give away is the metal content. Then how crisp and narrow the impressions are. Compare to known real one on this site and it will become evident!

Katie1715

Greenie
Oct 14, 2017
Palm beach county, fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab go pro 60,
Minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I see you have the sov, 8-) how is it in the wet sand?
(I started with the minelab go pro and it went squirly soon as I got near seaweed and water. I realize now that it's just for dry sand.) I'm so ready to upgrade.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a repro Netherlands Daadler a few miles north of there once. Real bummer for me, thought I had a 300 year old coin.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Katie,
The Sovereign GT is the perfect detector for the wet sand as well as the dry sand. There are newer detectors that will be available soon like the Minelab Equinox you may want to consider as the Sovereign is an older heavier design that's not waterproof.
Good luck!
Rusty

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha..... i get those all the time...... brass not silver. Kids must throw those by the handfulls once they loose interest.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down here in the keys we get fake cobs all the time. The tourist shops sell them by the treasure chest full down here. Every mom and pop buys them to throw down in the sand for there 6 year old to find. I found at least 3-4 th hi s summer !! Got a good one a few years back that was made of real silver. Some fakes are better than others.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a lot of those. I got them from a gift shop. The pack they came in was called "Pirate treasure" or something of that nature. I remember when I got bored with them, I threw them around, thinking it would be funny to trick people. Now that I metal detect, I no longer think it's a funny joke lol.

haha thats hilarious, I bet a few people here have unknowingly cursed at you profusely when they found one. My buddy started to joke that he was going start burying stuff where I detect, I got stone cold sober faced and told him, "don't you &*#$ with were I detect, I'll smack the *&%^ out of you. Detecting is one of my few joys in life. " I realized afterwards that I might have over reacted, but he seemed to get the point.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Certainly it is REAL, you have it in your hand. However, it is not authentic to what you hope it is, for the many reasons posted already. I will say it is a disappointment to find one like that. I have seen real, real ones and the difference is distinctive. Happy hunting and maybe next time.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread