Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a picture of the Equinox waterproof headphones connector for all those interested. I found the pic searching the web it is from a foreign website. equinox-minel.png If anybody can find this connector I would like to make a Equinox to CTX headphone adapter. website showed a 3year warranty also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Todd check your facebook page. See if this is what you are looking for.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bigger issue is ....... it sticks out the back like the coil cable. In the water both will vibrate a LOT when swinging. Anyone use a headphone cable that isnt at the end of the shaft. Adding an adapter making it stick out further..... sounds like a bad idea. I also believe even with the small O ring at the bottom we will have to add an O ring over those threads if possible. Unlike the CTX we dont have any screws to remove/clean out that speaker area. How many cover their speaker as dirt hunters? Most id dare say.......i say get rid of a problem that no one use and might leak inside the box.

OP
OP
T

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking of a 4 to 6 inch wiring adapter on one end a ctx and on the other end a equinox. I know it is another possible leak point but better than buying 2 pairs of headphones for the equinox. I always have a spare in my car as saltwater is a mess on electronics.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully someone makes or will make a 90 degree right angle connector with that threaded coupler.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad though that anyone would have to even "modify" anything right out of the box! I'm starting to question this whole Equinox thing anyway. IF it even exists, it's starting off having to do this or that to bring it in line (closely at least) with other machines already out there. After one spends all this money and time to do the upgrades one is right back at square one with the other machines. Hopefully I'm way off here but the discussions have already begun and I still haven't seen this thing. Gonna go out today and look for Bigfoot, much more promising.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only modifying I would do is tape the wires to the shaft and I do that with all my detectors.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeez, can you say "snap off?"

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here is a picture of the Equinox waterproof headphones connector for all those interested. I found the pic searching the web it is from a foreign website. View attachment 1509029 If anybody can find this connector I would like to make a Equinox to CTX headphone adapter. website showed a 3year warranty also.

Have you had any luck finding a connector to modify the ctx headphones yet?

/

OP
OP
T

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No but I do have a few of the equinox adapters ordered and will modify them as soon as I get them in my hands.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That seal design does not look reliable ...it looks like a face seal. If the connector loosens over time (expansion and contraction due to temperature changes going in and out of the water), the seal will leak. I'm not sire I see ANY o-ring at all in there.

I'll be using silicone on those threads or modifying the plug in my lathe to accept an o-ring around the barrel of the connector.

From what I've read, the connector itself (the jack) is sealed.. so even without a plug in the connector, the machine will not get water inside it, although shorting the connector in salt water would no doubt be BAD for the machine.

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 2.59.20 PM.png

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That seal design does not look reliable ...it looks like a face seal. If the connector loosens over time (expansion and contraction due to temperature changes going in and out of the water), the seal will leak. I'm not sire I see ANY o-ring at all in there.

I'll be using silicone on those threads or modifying the plug in my lathe to accept an o-ring around the barrel of the connector.

From what I've read, the connector itself (the jack) is sealed.. so even without a plug in the connector, the machine will not get water inside it, although shorting the connector in salt water would no doubt be BAD for the machine.

View attachment 1540085

Youre going to do what?

It doesnt need an oring, do you see that rubber connector that holds the plug? Thats your sealing surface. You want to put an oring on the plug.... how is that going to work? The plug screws into the fitting, if there is an oring anywhere in that mix its only going to end up as chewed rubber. That headphone plug is waterproof, even if water got in, its not going to harm the detector. Lastly, you are most likely going to be using waterproof headphones if using this in the water, so why the worry about the dustplug?

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Youre going to do what?

It doesnt need an oring, do you see that rubber connector that holds the plug? Thats your sealing surface. You want to put an oring on the plug.... how is that going to work? The plug screws into the fitting, if there is an oring anywhere in that mix its only going to end up as chewed rubber. That headphone plug is waterproof, even if water got in, its not going to harm the detector. Lastly, you are most likely going to be using waterproof headphones if using this in the water, so why the worry about the dustplug?

I wasn't suggesting I'd modify the cover plug, I was referring to the headphone connector. Yes, i realize the rubber holder is the seal, but it's not a good method for sealing the actual headphone connector.

You can already see pitting around the sealing surface from corrosion. Also, rubber seals change stiffness with temperature, and connectors expand and contract.. headphone cords get twisted and yanked on... eventually loosening the connector and breaking this face seal.

I will be adding a very thin film of silicone grease, or if it does start leaking a thin film of silicone sealant on the threads.

You of course are free to do whatever you like, but I do 80% of my hunting in the salt water.

Just because the connector can be flooded without flooding the machine doesn't mean salt water won't corrode the contacts over time, especially considering you'd have two different types of metals in contact.

The connectors (male and female) could be modified on a lathe to accept an o-ring, but it's not really worth the effort.

So yeah I've ordered the machine. No I don't really like the headphone connector because they are fragile.

But, I do like the size of the machine and I understand why they had to use a 1/8" connector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like your idea FLgliderpilot as I also do about 95% of my detecting is at or in the Salt. I plan to seal it and forget it as I plan to sell my WM-08 and the Headphones that come with the EQ800

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The kicker.... they used a CTX connector on the coil.

OP
OP
T

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yupp I saw that but it is what it is. I am hoping to have mine before CDV Cliff

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, just don't ruin your warranty with "fixes".

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that an o-ring down in the opening? It looks like it.

It's not, i thought that too at first. No o-rings period. Only seal is that rubber washer, but supposedly the inside of the connector is sealed, so water can't get into the unit even with the headphones are unplugged. Not sure if I believe that, but salt water would probably damage the connector pins anyway.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread