Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

Been on the forum for several years as an armchair enthusiast, finally retired and moved from Idaho and into our condo on South Hutchinson Island. Need to get my first metal detector for the beach, need some insight as to a good one thats doesn't take a rocket scientist to use. Will most likely go to Kelly in Orlando for the purchase.

Thx for any help,

Steve

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buy an Excalibur 2, it's good for land or water.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck & happy hunting, sphillips.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys,

Been on the forum for several years as an armchair enthusiast, finally retired and moved from Idaho and into our condo on South Hutchinson Island. Need to get my first metal detector for the beach, need some insight as to a good one thats doesn't take a rocket scientist to use. Will most likely go to Kelly in Orlando for the purchase.

Thx for any help,

Steve

Now that's they way to retire! Congrads on that!! I would say an Excalibur, set the dials .. turn on..and hunt....

Last edited:

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with above posts on Excalibur II. I didn't buy into the Excal hype until i got one. Worth every penny and very easy to use.

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that narrowed it down, thx for all the input folks!

Steve

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As everyone else said Excalibur is the way to go. Just turn on and hunt. As you use it you will learn the knob settings that work best for you. In your area. Have fun and practice makes perfect.

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my Excal, first trip to the beach nothing but beer cans, but it was a shake down cruise anyway. That S shaft is an arm killer ( I'm 67). Thinking of buying the extension and putting control behind the elbow, then maybe someday building a straight shaft. Any pros or cons to this approach?

thx

steve

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Straight shaft is a must. Control pod behind the elbow will help the balance, but, still a bit heavy. I like hip mounting mine. Once it's out of warranty, get the pin point switch mod and maybe a bigger coil if you need more coverage like I do.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Check out the straight shafts that plugger makes (rods by plugger) in carbon fiber and sells on eBay. I had one on my Excalibur and it will just float that coil over the terrain. Also invest in an Anderson Knob Guard.
Best of luck with your new Excalibur!

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx again for all the advice. Nuther question, want to get my daughter and her fiancé a starter beach detector for Xmas, but need to stay below $500 if possible, any thoughts?

Thx,

steve

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about any decent machine will work in the dry sand. Once you get in the wet sand or water (salt) a multifrequency machine if you want discrimination, or a PI machine is a must. If you don't have much iron junk, a good used PI machines would be my choice. Otherwise, save up more money for a good multifreq machine.

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about any decent machine will work in the dry sand. Once you get in the wet sand or water (salt) a multifrequency machine if you want discrimination, or a PI machine is a must. If you don't have much iron junk, a good used PI machines would be my choice. Otherwise, save up more money for a good multifreq machine.

Thx Mark

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went down near the power plant friday afternoon and only found the items in the pic. Other than the modern coins and iron blob, the others are copper I think
asset.php

Attachments

• Walton Rocks 1:5:18.pdf
    505.7 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[QOBUOTE=sphillips;5657791]Went down near the power plant friday afternoon and only found the items in the pic. Other than the modern coins and iron blob, the others are copper I think
asset.php
[/QUOTE]

Obviously haven't quite figured out the pic attachment yet:BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions