Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Oldy/Newby

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    S. Hutchinson Island
    111 times

Oldy/Newby

Hey guys,

Been on the forum for several years as an armchair enthusiast, finally retired and moved from Idaho and into our condo on South Hutchinson Island. Need to get my first metal detector for the beach, need some insight as to a good one thats doesn't take a rocket scientist to use. Will most likely go to Kelly in Orlando for the purchase.

Thx for any help,

Steve
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

us
    Retired

Apr 2007
    Zephyrhills Fl
    excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
    956 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (6)
    buy an Excalibur 2, it's good for land or water.

Mar 2012
    782 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Good luck & happy hunting, sphillips.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, White's Eagle ll SL90, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i, TRX
    4666 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by ron lord View Post
    buy an Excalibur 2, it's good for land or water.
    X2 or a CTX if you do quite a bit of land hunting too.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    4438 times
    Old Gold, New Gold, Any Gold
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by sphillips View Post
    Hey guys,

Been on the forum for several years as an armchair enthusiast, finally retired and moved from Idaho and into our condo on South Hutchinson Island. Need to get my first metal detector for the beach, need some insight as to a good one thats doesn't take a rocket scientist to use. Will most likely go to Kelly in Orlando for the purchase.

Thx for any help,

Steve
    Now that's they way to retire! Congrads on that!! I would say an Excalibur, set the dials .. turn on..and hunt....
    Last edited by OBN; Oct 26, 2017 at 12:15 PM.

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2016
    Hawaii
    Equinox 600/Excalibur II/Fisher F75/Whites Beach Hunter ID 300/Fisher F2/Pro Pointer AT
    79 times
    Agree with above posts on Excalibur II. I didn't buy into the Excal hype until i got one. Worth every penny and very easy to use.
    OBN likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    ZO6 Guy

Jan 2014
    Los Angeles
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
    1145 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific_Searcher View Post
    Agree with above posts on Excalibur II. I didn't buy into the Excal hype until i got one. Worth every penny and very easy to use.
    My vote too. Hands down.
    sphillips and JustKeepDigging like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    S. Hutchinson Island
    111 times
    Well that narrowed it down, thx for all the input folks!

Steve
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

us
    Sep 2012
    North Carolina
    Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
    117 times
    As everyone else said Excalibur is the way to go. Just turn on and hunt. As you use it you will learn the knob settings that work best for you. In your area. Have fun and practice makes perfect.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    S. Hutchinson Island
    111 times
    Thx again to all!

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    S. Hutchinson Island
    111 times
    Got my Excal, first trip to the beach nothing but beer cans, but it was a shake down cruise anyway. That S shaft is an arm killer ( I'm 67). Thinking of buying the extension and putting control behind the elbow, then maybe someday building a straight shaft. Any pros or cons to this approach?

thx

steve

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, White's Eagle ll SL90, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i, TRX
    4666 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Straight shaft is a must. Control pod behind the elbow will help the balance, but, still a bit heavy. I like hip mounting mine. Once it's out of warranty, get the pin point switch mod and maybe a bigger coil if you need more coverage like I do.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800
    4349 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Check out the straight shafts that plugger makes (rods by plugger) in carbon fiber and sells on eBay. I had one on my Excalibur and it will just float that coil over the terrain. Also invest in an Anderson Knob Guard.
    Best of luck with your new Excalibur!
    OBN likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    S. Hutchinson Island
    111 times
    Thx again for all the advice. Nuther question, want to get my daughter and her fiancé a starter beach detector for Xmas, but need to stay below $500 if possible, any thoughts?

Thx,

steve

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    4666 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Just about any decent machine will work in the dry sand. Once you get in the wet sand or water (salt) a multifrequency machine if you want discrimination, or a PI machine is a must. If you don't have much iron junk, a good used PI machines would be my choice. Otherwise, save up more money for a good multifreq machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links