Florida straight shaft owners: question + straight shaft sources and opinions.

Skinny Puppy

Sep 14, 2006
Mt Carmel, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used a couple straight shafts and don't like them. The last one I tried, the Lightningrod I had to move the cuff down closer to the handle as it would rub to far up my forearm. Having the cuff in front of the controls makes sure your not bumping the wires against your side. I also don't like the fact that I need to insert my arm into the strap each time I recover a target where I neen two hands on the scoop.

Solved all these questions you listed by hanging controls from my neck and using the orginal shaft. Use a 1" inch alum. pipe to hang controls and a discarded camera strap to hold the unit around my neck. Works like a charm for me and cheaper than a straight shaft.

morris

Jun 8, 2005
Arlington Texas
Re: Florida straight shaft owners: question + straight shaft sources and opinion

I have Mike's off ebay and LOVE IT.. I can swing it all day long..

Morris
Ocala,FL

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have both the babbs and mikes. My wife likes the babbs better. I use mikes. My opinion is babbs feels lighter and I prefer there straight grip over the curved handle.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I have the Florida straight shaft and am happy with it. It doesn't have a cam lock but doesn't seem to need it either. I guess it is just personal preference.

lowtones

Aug 19, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur , Explorer 2 ,Soverign elite,
i use the florida straight shaft i put a piece of duct tape where the shaft slides in . it keeps it snug with no movement. works for me.
cashing out tommorow with this years finds.

Attachments

• AUG-28th-2007 010.jpg
    AUG-28th-2007 010.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 377
  • AUG-28th-2007 010.jpg
    AUG-28th-2007 010.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 314
OP
OP
Skinny Puppy

Skinny Puppy

Sep 14, 2006
Mt Carmel, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ungh :o, I really need to get out more often. Thanks for the inspiration and motivation.
The new stock I used doesn't need a locking cam. It works perfect. Just needed tighter clearances. Must have chosen the wrong pole extension tubing from home depot. It was too thin in thickness. The new tubing was T6061 stock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions