Beaches.com grand Turks Caicos?? Few questions

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just at grand turk. The upper beach was sand but tapers off to coral bedrock quickly. In the water you will be better off with a mask and snorkel instead of a scoop. When you get a signal, fan with your foot. Lots of trapped metal in the pockets, I found quite a few corroded coins but no jewelery. I'm sure that its there though. Nobody cared that I was there detecting.

If they clear away the beach chairs when cruise ships arent docked that could be a goldmine because its impossible to do any hunting when the chairs are out, they packed edge to edge.

OP
OP
Blkcloud

Blkcloud

Apr 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just at grand turk. The upper beach was sand but tapers off to coral bedrock quickly. In the water you will be better off with a mask and snorkel instead of a scoop. When you get a signal, fan with your foot. Lots of trapped metal in the pockets, I found quite a few corroded coins but no jewelery. I'm sure that its there though. Nobody cared that I was there detecting.

If they clear away the beach chairs when cruise ships arent docked that could be a goldmine because its impossible to do any hunting when the chairs are out, they packed edge to edge.
Which resort did you stay at? I had a friend say that the staff at the resorts were hateful and unfriendly and they probably would not be going back..

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and kid are there today, probably on the same cruise ship. She picked up a solo cup of beach glass. She called this morn and said the beach was not to crowded because only 1 ship was in port..

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason did you bring your metal detector on the ship ?? Did they give you any crap ?? I might have gone with my wife if I thought I could metal detect those cruise ship stops.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason did you bring your metal detector on the ship ?? Did they give you any crap ?? I might have gone with my wife if I thought I could metal detect those cruise ship stops.
I always take my detector on vacation. Ive never had a single word said by ships security about my detector or my sand scoop.

Ive hunted in thr bahamas, aruba, grenada, cozumel, grand cayman and others without any trouble

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I loved T&C! I went four years ago and stayed at a beautiful resort (can't remember the name). People were very friendly. Beache and snorkeling was amazing! I don't know how it is now, after the hurricane

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is illegal to metal detect in Turks and Caicos Islands without a permit

Have any of you ever been? Thinking of taking the family in January there..
how did you like it?
Would you go back?
Can you md there?
Which one did you go to? Thanks!

It is illegal to metal detect in Turks and Caicos Islands without a permit from:

Ministry of Environment and Home Affairs Department of Environment and Maritime Affairs Lower Bight Road,
ProvidencialesTurks and Caicos Island Government

These are the conditions:

Subject: Conditions of Approval for Use of Metal Detector in TCI
Please be informed that the Department of Environment and Maritime Affairs (DEMA) has reviewed your request and offers the following conditions of approval:
1. The applicant shall submit a report how the previous Permit was used. Submit list of materials and where such materials were taken.
2. Submit the specifications of the metal detector to be used.
3. The applicant is required to pay a License Fee of $150 per annum. An invoice may be obtained from the DEMA Office (see Ms. Sheryl Williams). The required amount is to be paid into the Treasury. A permit will be issued upon return of the Treasury receipt.
4. The use of the metal detector shall be strictly for personal or recreational use only and shall not be used directly or indirectly for monetary or other profit.
5. Every effort should be made to avoid interference or disturbance of other beach users.
6. All objects found shall be logged-in to DEMA and subsequently donated to the TC National
Museum (TCNM) if found to be worthy for display at the Museum.
7. This permit specifically excludes access to any private property, unless prior permission is obtained from the owner.
8. This permit is valid at beaches of Providenciales, primarily in the beaches and shallow water of the Grace Bay area.
9. Excavations of any sort are prohibited.
10. This special permit is issued to a single person and is non-transferable.
11. The applicant should familiarize themselves with applicable provision of the TCI National Parks Ordinance, Coast Protection Ordinance, Mineral (Exploration and Exploitation) Ordinance, and Wreck and Salvage Ordinance. Any violation of the above legislations will be liable to prosecution.
12. This special permit is good for 12 months from the date of issue. Any violation of the above- mentioned conditions of approval will render this permit null and void.
13. This special permit can be renewed, subject to satisfactory compliance of all applicable policies and laws in TCI.

I was there in 2015, staying at Beaches resort. I went thru the application/permit process, and received a permit badge that I wore when detecting. I did have several older individuals approach me while I was out one day and was told that I was breaking the law by "stealing by finding", but all of them walked away when I showed my permit. I had no real confrontations, only conversations.

I believe the laws are intended to protect historic sites and wrecks from professional search and salvage operations, but technically the laws apply to anyone using a detector anywhere in TCI.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It is illegal to metal detect in Turks and Caicos Islands without a permit from:

Ministry of Environment and Home Affairs Department of Environment and Maritime Affairs Lower Bight Road,
ProvidencialesTurks and Caicos Island Government......

..... I believe the laws are intended to protect historic sites and wrecks from professional search and salvage operations, but technically the laws apply to anyone using a detector anywhere in TCI.

......, I found quite a few corroded coins but no jewelery. I'm sure that its there though. Nobody cared that I was there detecting.......

Haha, isn't this just so typical ? A skittish md'r asks high and low of desk-bound pencil pushing archies. Then finds someone to give the safe answer for stuff that ... no doubt .... applies to raiding the pyramids, shipwreck salvor, exporting gold bars out of the country, etc...... Yet you have old timers, who are just into fumble fingers casual beach stuff. Who read this, scratch their heads, and say "since when ?" :icon_scratch:

Such was the humorous story of what happened in Mexico (where detectors are a common site on tourist beaches) : Someone fetched a "no" (or some silly sorts of dire archaeological stuff) from a border consulate bureaucrat . They published that in one of the md'ing manufacturer periodicals. Saying "Can't md anywhere in Mexico". And scores of other readers wrote in objecting, pointing out that they md there all the time, and have never heard so much as "boo".

Same here: I had to chuckle when I read this.

But what happens next, when this type post (#9) comes up, is that all those who got a "yes" (or simply observed that no one cared) will attempt to "clarify" the issue. And .... then guess what happens ? It starts to become a self-fulfilling phenomenon. Where the "pressing question" keeps landing on bored bureaucrat's desks. Sheesk, it's as if we md'rs can be our own worst enemies :(

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread