Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out 3 times last week, no metal detector, just beach combing. Ive had 3 notes inside bottles but only 1 was able to still be read. photo-745.JPG
photo-740.JPG
photo-741.JPG
photo-749.JPG
Bunch of stuff rolled up in there. Couple religous tracts, a small religous sticker, a hand written note, but only part of it was legible after all these years. And a business card with info. Seems it was 2011 when it was tossed out on the waves. I could read some of the note and they were sopposed to be in saint thomas in july 2011.
photo-748.JPG photo-747.JPG
photo-746.JPG there was a second tract the same as the first only in french. photo-752.JPG
photo-751.JPG
Guess ill track them down and see if there still at that adress.would be cool to return there bottle to them !!
Also got some great old bottles that I posted in the bottle forum last week. photo-736.JPG photo-727.JPG glass fishing float to photo-724.JPG also got a carbon fiber paddle too, they list new for 299$ !! Got a nice old bronze porthole that had been uncovered by the hurricane !! photo-744.JPG photo-742.JPG . Plenty of great bouys too including 2 metal fishing floats !! And lots of good drift wood.

Upvote 0

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those glass floats are really neat collectables :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_2017-12-21-12-55-57.png its a dandy of a paddle !! I cant believe how light it is, I think 10 oz !! I love to see carbon fiber in the mangroves.last year I sold a carbon fiber paddle on craigs list for 160$ it was for a kyak and listed at 600$ !! This one ought to fetch 50-75$ if I dont keep it !! I like it a lot no fatigue just keep paddling !! Used it all the way home !!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome discoveries. Bet you didn’t plan on finding notes in the bottles when you woke up that morning.
One of the many things I love about this hobby. Every time you go out detecting you never know what you will find.

Amazing photos and documentation. Thank You for sharing!

E9A61B51-9866-4E32-A5B0-FB28E2FE2835.gif

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That glass float is really sweet.

Congrats on all of the nice finds.

Best of luck to you sir.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It reminds me of a great children’s book called “Paddle to the Sea” by Holling C. Holling 1942.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It reminds me of a great children’s book called “Paddle to the Sea” by Holling C. Holling 1942.

Ill have to check into that rusty I have a five year old son.

The glass floats are a major reason I started hunting the mangroves tom. I love them there my pride and joy !!

Waterscoop im behind this year only 5 notes in bottles. Last year I had 11. I keep my eye out for them !! That 1790s bottle was a score too !!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ill have to check into that rusty I have a five year old son.

The glass floats are a major reason I started hunting the mangroves tom. I love them there my pride and joy !!

Waterscoop im behind this year only 5 notes in bottles. Last year I had 11. I keep my eye out for them !! That 1790s bottle was a score too !!

Just the thought of something fragile like that making to your hands unbroken, is amazing to me.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just the thought of something fragile like that making to your hands unbroken, is amazing to me.

Tom it blows my mind every time one of these bottles from the 1700s pops up !!! How many years has it been washing around in the mangroves for? Or was it buried in the mud all this time? Whatever the case the glass is so delicate that its a miracle to be intact. And then a hhrricane presents it to me like it washed in yesterday. The glass is so old its flaking off like an onion. Gold flakes like onion skin. photo-721.JPG

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-108.JPG
photo-111.JPG photo-114.JPG photo-113.JPG
The driftwood is treasure to me for furniture and other art. It becomes valuable when repurposed. Heres my latest piece. photo-755.JPG
photo-754.JPG photo-753.JPG any hardware that I use in my pieces are finds from metal detecting. The hinge and camelback on this piece came frm a 19th century fishing boat wreck. photo-750.JPG I make it up as I go, strong useful pieces in the swiss family robinson style !!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Swiss Family Robinson style, made me laugh. Very nice carpentry work.

And awesome bottles. I’m not very bottle knowledgeable, so I miss their significance sometimes. I agree that it is amazing that they could make it for over 200 years intact, if only they could talk.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you have to play the police tune, "message in a bottle" on this one. wow!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread