flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a CZ-21 in the wet, and an AT Pro in the dry. I like the AT Pro because I can completely avoid pull tabs and junk while hunting with no discrimination. Pull tabs are 54-55, and nickels are 53-54. Problem is, pro mode encourages one to ignore deep (faint) targets. The popcorn chatter and a deep target blend together so while ignoring the chatter, you are effectively ignoring possible hits. It takes repeated swings over same ground to detect deep targets in pro mode.

I like that the CZ-21 has a boost which lets me positively hear deep targets... but hunting the dry sand with my CZ means I dig a LOT of trash which slows me down and it's a heavy beast.

Any suggestions for my next dry sand machine? I need something with very fast recovery like pro mode, a numeric target id, and a DD coil.. but I'd like something which will NOT get fainter with depth, or has it as an option.

Perhaps something by minelab? A backlight would be handy also.

I've considered reverse engineering my AT pro to see if I could disable the negative bias on the volume based on depth, but I don't think it's possible... I'm sure it's happening in software as that would make the most sense from an engineering perspective.

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there are some places that it wont work well in the salt...here are the settings I use on the west coast of Florida that work for me...Standard Mode...Zero...Auto Ground Balance in the wet sand by pumping up and down...manually drop the final numbers by 3...say it balances on 14, drop it to 11...start with 5 bars of sensitivity...if its stable try 6 bars...if it falses drop it to 4 bars...you will be surprised how deep it will hit targets at 4 to 5 bars sens...if you plan to hunt saltwater a lot, I would recommend using an Xcal or CZ21...AT pro isn't the best saltwater choice but it can be used with good results at some salt beaches.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one solid 56 on the AT Pro and I know they are few and far between but when they do show up The good targets are worth the 1000 poptabs dug View attachment 1529713 5.5g 14k. Size 4.5 gold nugget ring. I too love Nickle TID it tells me the last people detecting were not doing a good job of digging lol

Good to know thanks! I would have probably dug a 56! I only pass on bounces from 54 to 55, and anything under 45.

But, you are making me want to dig all pull tabs. :D

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found 17 pieces of gold with my AT Pro the first summer I used it...all in the salt water including 11 gold rings...it is only about 2 inches shallower on targets than my CZ21...that was on the West coast of Florida...I have posted my settings on here many times...everyone tries to use Pro mode in the salt environment...I use STANDARD MODE....People think standard mode makes it like using an ACE 250 but its not...My ACE 250 is completely useless in the salt because of falsing.

I used my AT Pro in the salt water in pro mode and did pretty well with it. I found gold and silver rings with it in the water. I'll give my AT Pro some more time in standard mode in the sand I guess.

I can't stand the slow recovery time of standard mode, but maybe it's worth it to gain depth.

Last edited:

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know Pull tabs/Pop tabs can be frustrating and time consuming but I diggem anyhow just because you never know when it will be that nice precious target that makes your day.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know thanks! I would have probably dug a 56! I only pass on bounces from 54 to 55, and anything under 45.

But, you are making me want to dig all pull tabs. :D
I got a thin Figaro 14k 4 gram gold chain that read 42 on my AT pro...that was in fresh water...most of my targets in the low 40s are foil, tiny balls of foil and tiny can slaw.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a thin Figaro 14k 4 gram gold chain that read 42 on my AT pro...that was in fresh water...most of my targets in the low 40s are foil, tiny balls of foil and tiny can slaw.

42!? Dang that's low for 14k... guess I should be digging everything... which means I don't even need a good machine lol.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that's the lowest reading Ive had on a gold find...I got a couple of small 2 gram gold rings that read around 46...the majority of gold rings Ive found have been in the 50s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread