Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dying to get out after New Years and wanted to take advantage of the super moon low tide. Went to my favorite low tide beach and I wasn't disappointed. Arrived at about 9:00am and left at 4:30pm. I was suppose to leave at 3:00pm. I was swinging my CTX3030 and lugging along my Stealth scoop.

Ever have one of those days when there were too many targets and not enough time? Bad enough I had only 8 hrs to metal detect (just kidding) but I was racing against the tide and it continued to sweep over valuable real-estate. Everywhere I set my 17" coil down to dig a target another beep was heard. Decided to concentrate on those unusual numbers like 12:10-13, 12:22-12:33, and the like. At the same time, I decided to not dig the 12:37 (zinc cent), 12:41-43 (bronze cent) and typical junk (12:02-04, 12:15-20, although I found a small gold band at 12:02 last year). After the tide came back in I raked the dry sand.

My first ring was a 1ct diamond cluster ring (14K, 4.67g, w 8-.14ct diamonds; 12:13 on CTX). It is a Hugh ring and the 8 diamonds sparkle.

1ct cluster ring.jpg

Next I found a large Man's wedding band with dragons and Phoenix on the outside (Stainless Steel, 7.38g).

Found the gold wedding band (3.45g; 12:14 on CTX) while meandering back to the car as the tide started going out again and I just could not miss the opportunity (and why I was late and not MDing tomorrow).

Rings inc Gold 010218.jpg

On an interesting note, found this "TOY" medallion. Thought I'd put it on and ask the wife to play with me...she said go play with your detector!

TOY medallion.jpg

Found 12 coins/hr, bringing my total number of coins to 327 for the new season. My coin-to-gold ratio is 164:1 and coin-to-silver ratio also at 164:1. Not every day I find 2 gold rings in the same day...On the other hand, also found a cremation tag from Tri-county Crematory (No, it is not where you get cream). Cremation tags are BAD LUCK, so I'll return it to the Sea on my next visit.

Cremation Tag Tri county.jpg

Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes & yuck I'd return that one ASAP

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Hunt! You should take up snorkeling or diving to wear that site out when the tides aren't in your favor!

(also note that Jan2 was Perihelion when the Earth is closest to the Sun, which gives us another smaller bit of tidal pull)

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! and thank you for posting the numbers that go with it too.

RudyT

Nov 23, 2017
LaPorte, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great finds!! I’ve heard if you find a crematorium tag and any other finds on the same outing that it’s all cursed. Well I’m not superstitious so if you’re worried about it just dump the tag back and I’ll be happy to take care of the rest for you.....just kidding buddy. Lol. Once again great finds!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super finds! :notworthy:

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a small brass cremation urn at CWB a few months back and I threw it back 1 month later my friend found it about 200 yards from where I did. I think he kept it but not sure. Lawrence how was your arm after swinging the 17" coil for sooo long.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I found a small brass cremation urn at CWB a few months back and I threw it back 1 month later my friend found it about 200 yards from where I did. I think he kept it but not sure. Lawrence how was your arm after swinging the 17" coil for sooo long.

My whole body hurts and can barely move the next day and shoulders are shot from 40 yrs of swimming 2 miles, 3-4 days a week. Ibuprofen is a real saver. But during the hunt I barely notice and change hands about every 1-2 hrs (real time, but seems to be about every 15 minutes when in the Zone). Have been swinging the Excal II for 5 yrs in the water and that experience helps with the 3030. The Stealth scoop with a 4' heavy wood handle that I drag along to mark my path on the beach causes more damage to my body than the 3030, I think. Thinking about changing out the wood handle I have on the Stealth with a lighter plastic plumbing pipe.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to an aluminum scoop with a stainless lip cover. Every ounce counts after Sixty! :tongue3:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great hunt...that gold with ice is a beauty.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Congrats on the great finds! I really enjoyed reading the narrative. Hope you have more good luck and some more great finds! I love my CTX and Excals. It''s always so difficult to decide which one to use. I have the Equinox on order. I am looking forward to that too. I hope it turns out to be all that is supposed to be and more.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like those super low tides found a couple of really old bottles nice finds

Jan 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
can you recommend a metal detector that is more suitable for the beach(water proof). I am trying to surprise my husband with a new one for his birthday..... so many to choose from. I want to be sure to get a good one!
He has a Whites DFX spectrum e series detector now. TIA

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on the icy gold!

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
can you recommend a metal detector that is more suitable for the beach(water proof). I am trying to surprise my husband with a new one for his birthday..... so many to choose from. I want to be sure to get a good one!
He has a Whites DFX spectrum e series detector now. TIA

I'm partial to Minelab products (Excal II, CTX 3030, Equinox). And very partial to multi-frequency detectors for the beach. Depends on your price point, but DO NOT BUY A SINGLE FREQUENCY DETECTOR.

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
My whole body hurts and can barely move the next day and shoulders are shot from 40 yrs of swimming 2 miles, 3-4 days a week. Ibuprofen is a real saver. But during the hunt I barely notice and change hands about every 1-2 hrs (real time, but seems to be about every 15 minutes when in the Zone). Have been swinging the Excal II for 5 yrs in the water and that experience helps with the 3030. The Stealth scoop with a 4' heavy wood handle that I drag along to mark my path on the beach causes more damage to my body than the 3030, I think. Thinking about changing out the wood handle I have on the Stealth with a lighter plastic plumbing pipe.

Congrats to author, great finds! How heavy is the carbon handle! I know it’s bomb proof but don’t know weight!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540