Ohio and Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Took advantage of the super moon low tides to again search my favorite low tide beach on the west coast of Florida with my CTX3030 and Stealth scoop. Given that I had just found 2 gold rings 2 days ago, one with 1ct diamond cluster, my expectations of finding more gold were muted. Fat chance in ... Nevertheless, off I went to spend 7 1/2 hrs MDing and again came home with 2 gold rings as well as a .925 silver and diamond studded ring guard. Found some other cool stuff I'll talk about, later.

The first gold ring was a 14k white gold Men's wedding band (10g, 12:13-14 on CTX3030) that I found about 15 minutes into the hunt. I was in such a hurried pitch racing against the tide that when I found the ring I initially thought it to be stainless steel. Almost missed the find because when I dumped the load of sand I kicked it apart and when I did the ring went rolling 4 ft from the dump down the beach.

White Gold Band 010418.jpg

My second big find was a sterling and diamond studded ring guard (2.75g, 12:32). Didn't really know what it was until the wife told me. Had I known when I found it I would have seriously searched for the ring itself since it was surely lost at the same time...Oh well, next time.

Sterling ring guard.jpg

I started MDing at 8am and took my first break at 2pm to eat lunch. Having already found gold, I considered ending early and spending time with the wife...Back detecting, it couldn't have been 5 minutes when I pulled this gigantic gold ring with stone from the sand (14k, 9g, 12:08). Talk about positive reinforcement.

14K ring w stone.jpg

I was shocked when I got home and found that the gigantic gold ring with a stone at 9 grams wasn't heavier than the white gold wedding band (10g). The ring with stone does fit me perfectly; a rarity given my big hands. A keeper. If I only knew what type of stone? [Stone looks as pictured.]

I'm in a state of shock to have found 4 gold rings in 2 days of metal detecting. These finds bring my coin/gold ratio to 103:1. It usually runs around 300:1. The sad news, if you believe in "regression towards the mean", is that I probably won't find another gold piece for 2 months or more...Man, statistics suck!

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's two great heavy gold finds...both very nice...almost $500 scrap value...congrats...is anyone else detecting where you are?

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet day! Here is to many more
52EDCBC7-E6A0-4E52-B0C0-97BD7080A173.gif

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's two great heavy gold finds...both very nice...almost $500 scrap value...congrats...is anyone else detecting where you are?

I do see MDers at my low tide beach but, personally, I think they're generally inexperienced simply because they're looking the wrong places or have the wrong (single VLF) detectors for wet sand. When beach hunting, I look for signs of sand removal from Winter storms. Here is an example:

Beach erosion.jpg

The bench shows about 2 feet of sand gone from this part of the beach. Other parts of the beach do not show the same amount of erosion, due to land-beach architecture.

So there is more than simply working low tide - it really helps to read the beach and know where the sand is gone from so you can reach the deeper targets and gold.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job reading the beach. When wet sand detecting I always keep an eye out for cuts and wash outs as many a precious ring has met my scoop in and around them.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome GOLD!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice collection of gold goodies! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread