ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes you may, with some very large exceptions. Notably, TVA claims the rights to much of our water and forbids detecting on/in it (and any other TVA 'property). They do enforce it and will take detectors. I have personally spoken to LE friends and they confirmed confiscation stories. Corp of Engineers, you are ok last I heard, but I'd check their website to make sure theres nothing there. Fed parks, no; state parks maybe, check individually. Local parks are almost always ok.

If someone tells you to hunt TVA anyway, be sure they are willing to hunt WITH you and run the same risks. TVA is crystal clear in their position. Last I looked it was on their website. The only place I will hunt on TVA lands/water are in my local parks where the local rangers have told me it is ok.

story: theres a DOE park near me and ii went there to hunt one day. Stopped by the hq and asked the head lady if I could hunt in the park (her office overlooked where I wanted to hunt about 50 yds away). She said sure with all the normal warnings about holes/etc and suggested I go to an area of the park that had a beach. I said TVA doesn't allow hunting on 'their' water or beaches there on and man did she ever get pissed. " I'm DOE and I say you can hunt there if you want to". I made a new friend that day. Seems most folks around here hate TVA.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread