Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am a 60s mentally healthy male who decided to take his metal detector on a date to the beach, and his date needed tampons. Let me explain.

There are horror stories of the [early] battery packs on the CTX 3030 leaking and causing catastrophic detector fail. To reduce the chance of such leaks causing failure, numerous remedies and preventions have been discussed. One safety measure is to put highly absorbent material within the battery pack; thus if any water does enter, the material could absorb the water and prevent damage. Thus the Tampons. So here is my story:

Its about 8:30 in the morning and I pull-up to this 7-11 and go inside. As I enter the store I notice a female neighbor of mine in one of the isles and she is heading my way (no chance to avoid her); Good morning Lisa, you're not going to believe what I'm looking for, but, as I turn to the male cashier I ask:
Sir, do you have any super absorbent Tampons?
Cashier says "No", with a you're a weird-O look on his face.
Do you have regular Tampons? I ask.
Cashier says "Yes'. down the Isle behind you"
I walk down the isle and the Tampons are no where to be found. Tampons are invisible to males. My neighbor, who seems in no hurry to leave the store, comes down the isle and shows me the location of the Tampons.
"Regular or scented?", she asks in a holding back laughter kind of way.
Thanks, I'll take the regular as her battery pack won't know the difference." I reply.
Now, there is a weird-O look on her face.
I put the Tampons on the counter and in a rhetorical sense say to the Cashier; gosh, I hope these fit, referring to my battery pack.
That'll be $3.99, says the Cashier who seems anxious to get rid of me.
Dag, that's a lot for Tampons, I mutter, I wonder if she is really worth it? I ask myself out loud. Four bucks is four bucks.
Well, I paid a lot for her, so I guess 3.99 for Tampons is a good investment, I say, as I head to the door.
I rush to the car and I'm focused on getting to the beach to metal detect the water for the first time this season. Now that I have my Tampons.
Humm, in all the commotion, I forgot to explain to my neighbor the story about the Tampons and how they're suppose to protect the battery on my metal detector from water damage. I suppose she'll have a good story to tell her husband, a golf partner of mine. I may never live this down...

Note: All the newer CTX 3030 have improved battery packs and seals and appear to work as needed. Nevertheless, the Tampons provided a little extra protection and put my mind at ease to detect in the water. Still, didn't find much.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a very absorbing story. :skullflag:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will Minelab retrofit your machine to make it waterproof?

EC3E1422-35BF-4842-87C9-6100E72CD3F4.jpeg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's kind of let me explain this real careful...

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Will Minelab retrofit your machine to make it waterproof?

View attachment 1535761

I have a newer version of the CTX 3030, with improved seal and battery pack to prevent leaks and it worked fine - no water entry. But I'm a paranoid type and always looking for additional safeguards (like a band around the battery pack clips to prevent accidental opening).

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a 60s mentally healthy male who decided to take his metal detector on a date to the beach, and his date needed tampons. Let me explain.

Oh really.:tongue3:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I can see problems explaining this one on the course. Best keep an eye on your club and ball bag. :laughing7:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just when you thought that you were the only one in the world where something such as this could ever happen to themselves......and a story such as this appears......and suddenly there is a glimmer of hope. Lol That was a great story. I could just see the looks on the faces watching in wonder. I am a healthy 60ish male too. As we grow older though, we can sorta get away with stuff like this. I'm glad the pads worked out for you and the CTX.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread