Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate going to Santa Monica beaches because I always seem to run into unfriendly fellow metal detectorists. Thus I rarely go but I managed to clear my afternoon and hit the sand with high expectations for some erosion. After scouting a few regulars with no erosion, I end up in Santa Monica. Still no erosion but I'd give it a try with the excal anyhow.

On my walk to the surf line I see a hunter with a PI machine walking my direction along the tide line. No big deal, he went left, I went right and we worked away from each other for about 30-45 min. I see him take off so I turn back and head over towards the area he hunted. He was hunting a single line parallel to the surf and I am working a grid perpendicular to the surf covering the bank to water. I immediately start hitting coins so continue over the area. Soon I start working the area with his unfilled holes and see he's dug iron stuff and tossed it next to his hole? Another moron. As I move along I start seeing zinc Lincoln cents either in his hole of just to the side......now I get passing those signal up even though I don't but why leave it there in plain sight?

Anyway karma rewarded me for filling in his holes, collecting the trash and discarded Lincoln cents with a 4.75g 14k and a couple silvers and a 43 nickel (terrible condition on the face). Right in between his holes. My only hope is he's a T-net member and reads this post and reconsiders his approach to hunting the beach. I'll remember him and possibly offer a few pointers next time. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516336742.159635.jpg

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The world is full of lazy people that just don’t care. I applaud you for doing the right thing. I see it regularly. I took a bunch of people to my spot, only to find lazily half filled holes and discarded trash targets. Just like your sloppy beach hunter, they figure it really doesn’t matter. Lazy schleppers.

Time wounds all all heels, and Karma rewards the righteous!

Nice score, and thanks for letting me vent.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Way to go! I wish you would have showed him your finds. I have the same happen here in Florida where some leave their trash and never fill holes. The most important thing is you had a good day and a nice find! Congrats

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never could understand people not taking their junk finds with them. Does anyone really want to find that same trash twice? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
redcobra8u

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never could understand people not taking their junk finds with them. Does anyone really want to find that same trash twice? :icon_scratch:

Exactly the point. I have regular beaches I frequent and digging it once is enough for me. I see more people who leave their trash than don't. Stupid.

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate going to Santa Monica beaches because I always seem to run into unfriendly fellow metal detectorists. Thus I rarely go but I managed to clear my afternoon and hit the sand with high expectations for some erosion. After scouting a few regulars with no erosion, I end up in Santa Monica. Still no erosion but I'd give it a try with the excal anyhow.

On my walk to the surf line I see a hunter with a PI machine walking my direction along the tide line. No big deal, he went left, I went right and we worked away from each other for about 30-45 min. I see him take off so I turn back and head over towards the area he hunted. He was hunting a single line parallel to the surf and I am working a grid perpendicular to the surf covering the bank to water. I immediately start hitting coins so continue over the area. Soon I start working the area with his unfilled holes and see he's dug iron stuff and tossed it next to his hole? Another moron. As I move along I start seeing zinc Lincoln cents either in his hole of just to the side......now I get passing those signal up even though I don't but why leave it there in plain sight?

Anyway karma rewarded me for filling in his holes, collecting the trash and discarded Lincoln cents with a 4.75g 14k and a couple silvers and a 43 nickel (terrible condition on the face). Right in between his holes. My only hope is he's a T-net member and reads this post and reconsiders his approach to hunting the beach. I'll remember him and possibly offer a few pointers next time. View attachment 1538593

Mr. Redcobra,

You just need to come a little farther south. I always have a smile on and love to talk metal detecting trash with anybody swingin' a coil. Congrats on your finds..........
I always fill my holes and take the trash. BTW you won't find any coins or gold rings where I've been with my PI machines :)

Last week I found some silver coins and a nice gold ring. I posted it. What I didn't mention was three days in a row I hit the same spot and found unfilled holes with trash finds.
I gotta say I didn't fill his holes...so good on you!

Last edited:

ScooperDave

Jan 29, 2014
Orange County, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT w/10"x 12" SEF Butterfly Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Redcobra despite having to deal with someone else's mess, congrats on the gold band! I've had to deal with the same problem you had all week, unfilled holes with trash left beside them. Unfortunately all you really can do is pick up the trash and fill in the holes for the inconsiderate offenders - to protect the hobby. The guys that do this are pretty much set in their ways and wont change no matter how hard you try.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like most of us SoCal guys here think alike. We ought to get together for a hunt sometime. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread