ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just thought everyone would like to know my latest dealings with ARA. I sent into them two weeks ago 1586.00 in scrap wedding rings. 7.24 DTW of 10K, 29.70 DTW of 14K and 4.5 DTW of 18K. I was expecting 1586.00 in cash value. I was very surprised to find they assayed it out 125.00 CHEAPER.

I know they are under new ownership and all the folks I used to deal with are gone. They are no longer a family owned company either. The person that supposedly did all my gold won't let me talk to an owner. I am not impressed with them anymore and will probably go to a different refinery.

I have been using them exclusively since 2009

I know your results will vary but I wanted to give a heads up to anyone interested.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ARA is CLOSED to detectorists. The OWNER sent a message to ANOTHER detectorist which wasn't me and this was the wording

"Oh, no! We will lose tens of dollars a year without ya'll. We are setting a 5 ounce minimum just to weed you dead beats out."

Just a heads up. They are not the company they used to be.

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FWIW you can leave a google review for them... looks like they are already down to 1 star. Bet they will lose more than TENS of dollars.

I did notice this in their FAQ:

Q: Do you work with the general public?
A: No. Our services are reserved for the commercial trade. We do not work with the general public.

Last edited:

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"See these big fake stones? Could easily be 3-4 set which would equal what you think you are short. You told me you called 4 times in your email. It’s funny how people who find free s*** complain the most. Go play a game of hide and go f*** yourself."

Find free stuff. LOL. Yes that's diamonds gold platinum. I just keep tripping over those items, no effort required. Wow.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dr Joe....... i dont disagree, but i did see some of the owners response....not pretty for an owner. He took about a 10% loose i think. Pretty good chunk to try and justify away. I liked dealing with the family....... looks like we are dealing with a business man now who feels we shouldnt really complain....... since its free stuff. Am i wrong....... but doesnt ARA pay 98% and Midwest pay 88% of spot? Id take the 88..... if i had a local i could trust, but most of us dont.
Midwest now pays 95% on gold, just saw their website...says they welcome detectorist as customers..Ive always used ARA but no more.

Goldhand87

Apr 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Wild. How often were you sending in to them? Did it take a while getting paid out?

WisconsinPirate

Aug 2, 2017
Racine, Wi
Detector(s) used
EQ600; Makro MK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does dead beat = deplorable? Where did this guy get his MBA - The Clinton foundation?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just because jewelry is marked 10k - 14k etc - does not mean I is - its supposed to be - but especially gold from mexico
some companies will "shave" some off - it may be 13 or 13.5k and not 14k

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
My X and I used to own a jewelry store.
Exact weight in Plumb gold, is what they should go by , but they don't always. There are ways they can pay you less , more , OR even short change you !
Let's just say you have 1 Troy Ounce of 14kt gold. [ by your weight & the markings ] They test the purity & come up with an average of 13.85 kt gold, which is common. OK, so they pay you less than you had figured. No problem, there. That change can add up ! Let's also say that the purity is 14.1 kt. [ also common ] DON'T think for one minute that they will pay you above 14.00 kt. !!
They receive your gold scrap on Monday at 10 A.M. They may hold it til the end of the week & pay you what the lowest spot value was during that week.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
My X and I used to own a jewelry store.
Exact weight in Plumb gold, is what they should go by , but they don't always. There are ways they can pay you less , more , OR even short change you !
Let's just say you have 1 Troy Ounce of 14kt gold. [ by your weight & the markings ] They test the purity & come up with an average of 13.85 kt gold, which is common. OK, so they pay you less than you had figured. No problem, there. That change can add up ! Let's also say that the purity is 14.1 kt. [ also common ] DON'T think for one minute that they will pay you above 14.00 kt. !!
They receive your gold scrap on Monday at 10 A.M. They may hold it til the end of the week & pay you what the lowest spot value was during that week.

It's been years now since I've used a refiner (I forget who it was at this point), but on my receipt they hand wrote a date on top of a computer printed one. I checked gold, and it dropped nicely on the day of the hand written date. So they gladly took more of my payout because of that. Really left a sour taste in my mouth.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the family ran it you have a lot of options with them.... as to pay out, spot melt locking it in, stone removal and payment for them, they were fast, honest, and paid more than anyone i dealt with........ now???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread