ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just thought everyone would like to know my latest dealings with ARA. I sent into them two weeks ago 1586.00 in scrap wedding rings. 7.24 DTW of 10K, 29.70 DTW of 14K and 4.5 DTW of 18K. I was expecting 1586.00 in cash value. I was very surprised to find they assayed it out 125.00 CHEAPER.

I know they are under new ownership and all the folks I used to deal with are gone. They are no longer a family owned company either. The person that supposedly did all my gold won't let me talk to an owner. I am not impressed with them anymore and will probably go to a different refinery.

I have been using them exclusively since 2009

I know your results will vary but I wanted to give a heads up to anyone interested.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for sharing, my last round I sent silver to Midwest, figured 640, and got 622. If I remember correct. I was happy with that..

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use midwest

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Only use Midwest and have never been disappointed.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I felt mine was a little low with ARA also, but it was my first round so I figured it is what it is and that gold prices must have dropped a bit in the period I sent it in. Thanks for the tip on midwest.

mikeinOC1

Jul 3, 2006
Orange County CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Minelab Excalibur, Fisher CZ21
Darn shame. Nice and pretty fair family operation back in the day. I bet some ah. e wall street investors bought them out.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I felt mine was a little low with ARA also, but it was my first round so I figured it is what it is and that gold prices must have dropped a bit in the period I sent it in. Thanks for the tip on midwest.

That's kinda of what I was thinking, from the time mailed, till the time received and tested, the spot price of gold is up & down daily.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I cannot show the unprofessional email I got from the owner here. It was laced with profanity. I will never use them again. I have used them since before 2009.

BEWARE.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Scuba just posting your experience with this company that thousands of people read and pass on I will remember not to use them or if anyone asks me where to go I might not know where to send them but Ill remember where they shouldn't go. Thanks for the heads up!!!!!!! It can take years to gain a good customer but 5 seconds to lose them!!!!!!

rons1947

Jul 12, 2007
Palm Bay,Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
For several years I have been selling my scrap gold rings to Midwest Refineries and although our estimates on what the gold is worth aren't always the same,they aren't far off the mark.When I first started selling some of my gold items,I sold them to local jewelers.I only did this once,because they were only giving me 40% of what it was worth.

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
The 14K unless it's 14KP could be quite a bit under 14/24 ...possibly 13.6/24. I think to be fair about it ARA deserves a bit more than one bad vote to strike them out.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dr Joe....... i dont disagree, but i did see some of the owners response....not pretty for an owner. He took about a 10% loose i think. Pretty good chunk to try and justify away. I liked dealing with the family....... looks like we are dealing with a business man now who feels we shouldnt really complain....... since its free stuff. Am i wrong....... but doesnt ARA pay 98% and Midwest pay 88% of spot? Id take the 88..... if i had a local i could trust, but most of us dont.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Here is the email in its ENTIRETY I received from the OWNER of ARA. (****) added by myself)

"See these big fake stones? Could easily be 3-4 set which would equal what you think you are short. You told me you called 4 times in your email. It’s funny how people who find free s*** complain the most. Go play a game of hide and go f*** yourself."

I sent in two class rings 10K with stones, the rest wedding bands, all 14K except 1 which was 18K. I was expecting 1586.00 melt value. I will never use them again. You folks make up your own mind.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my last 2 dealings with ARA I have had issues. First time my check from them bounced. The second time they ETFed my money and only paid me 2/3rds and finally after 2 e-mails and a phone call got the other ETF for the remaining 1/3. Will never use them again.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like I should build a furnace and start a new business for tnet members.....

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Who other than ARA will remove and pay for the stones? I had used Midwest before with no problem but went to ARA last time and received a reasonable payout on the diamonds. This was before they changed ownership.

Tek

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The E-mail is unacceptable under any circumstance and I'm sure it just cost them dearly. Thanks for sharing. Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread