Black Bart has me wondering...

high&dry

Mar 8, 2014
SWFL
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after seeing BB's post on the Spanish cob it got me wondering what I found last year on the treasure coast. Sound like coins but they do stick to a magnet. any ideas??
20180122_191228.jpg 20180122_191216.jpg 20180122_191245.jpg

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real cobs won't stick to a magnet.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after seeing BB's post on the Spanish cob it got me wondering what I found last year on the treasure coast. Sound like coins but they do stick to a magnet. any ideas??
View attachment 1540265 View attachment 1540266 View attachment 1540267
Dont feel bad I still pick a lot of those rust chips too. Some just look so perfect..
Youll know the heft factor is substantial, they are heavy and feel right. When in doubt bring them all home for better examination with a rum drink !!! Then there all cobbs !! Paticence, narrow your spot down, go to areas that have produced before. Pick up a bunch of those rust chunks and bang one will be a cobb sooner or later. Especially if cobbs have been found before. Dont give up, once you find one its easier to find another.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont feel bad I still pick a lot of those rust chips too. Some just look so perfect..
Youll know the heft factor is substantial, they are heavy and feel right. When in doubt bring them all home for better examination with a rum drink !!! Then there all cobbs !! Paticence, narrow your spot down, go to areas that have produced before. Pick up a bunch of those rust chunks and bang one will be a cobb sooner or later. Especially if cobbs have been found before. Dont give up, once you find one its easier to find another.

There are hundreds of those on the beach south of the power plant

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve in the douglas beach area and im sure around the power plant is much modern wreckage from some steel barges amongst other debri from beach replenishment, construction, hurricanes etc. Fact is those iron counterfeit cobbs have a way of poppin up all over. The first time you feel a cob in your hand youll never forget the heft and weight. When im in vero I always leave the maid a pile of counterfeit cobs on the patio table as a tip !! Even though there tuned out I still pick up the promising looking ones.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1540265 View attachment 1540266 View attachment 1540267

photo-787.JPG photo-786.JPG photo-788.JPG man when you
Put hem together like that you can see why it is not easy !! All I can say is the silver hits hard on the excal, and the iron is a whisper. All my spanish silver had the faintest green patina mixed in. Not much but just noticeable. Small amounts of copper in the silver give off a green tinge here and there.

OP
OP
H

high&dry

Mar 8, 2014
SWFL
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the pics! Next time we are down at wabasso and Vero I'll know what to look for!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions