Buying or making new Coil Cable for Excal.

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
Hello everyone.
Going to replace my Coil Cable on my Excal 1000.I've looked around at most articles and Videos.
My Cable is of the 5 Wire type.Black,Red Blue,Green and Orange.!Most of the Articles show working on 4 Wire Models.(later Models?)
All I can find here in Santa Marta Colombia, is 4 Wire Cable.The Wiring Chart Posted by OBN,show a source for Cable at McMaster and Carr,but it only shows info for the 4 Wire Cable.I'm working on a Shoestring Budget.Could I just get 5 Strands of the correct gauge Wire,and enclose them into a long piece of Heat Shrink,as a Sheath?

If so,could someone give me the Gauge of the Wires?The Black and Red seem to be a little Heavier Gauge than the other 3 Strands.And also,what length should i make this Cable? it doesn't NEED to be as long as STOCK,right? A Tech at Minelab told me once,that shortening this could cause problems,as the Cable length is Tuned to the Coil.? OBN refutes this statement.And I myself have shortened the Cable Years back when I converted the Machine to Hip Mount (which I now regret doing)better yet,could someone turn me onto a Source for the real stuff?I hesitate getting anything shipped down to here,as things seem to take forever and are sometimes "Lost"...Thanks.Ken..

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me, I'd buy a new coil.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Starters, the Blue and Green wires on your 5 wire coil are the same..both grounds so you can connect them together as the same. That will allow you to use the local wire.

As far as using the heat shrink it will be a temporary fix. Make sure you get the glue lined heat shrink tube, it will get stiff so any twisting will cause a crack, then a leak.

A guess on the gauge, 18 for the red and black. Nothing wrong with having all the same.

I think everyone of my coil cables are shorter then stock, I know I have one that is just enough to reach from coil to pod. Kind of like an experiment to see if it reduced the noise from the waves....

results...no reduction of noise, no affect on depth. The best way to remove all of the noise is to remove the pod from contacting the saltwater. Total silence with not much noise from the coil, in ruff water.

So go with the local 4 lead wire, and connect the green and blue for both are grounds.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might try a usb cable... its low capacitance and shielded.

OP
OP
S

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
Hello.Man,I'm really glad to receive your Reply OBN.
It's hard for me to do this stuff with what little Spanish I have.Lot's of walking through the Public Markets,looking for "Electronic" Shops.And then trying to get across to them some weird device that your building.I treat em' like Doctors,Three different Opinions....I'll certainly head back into Town and get that 4Wire cable.That's a great help learning from you, OB.If you could,keep a watchful Eye out here on TreasureNet for any more Flailing about on my part.I call these my "Prison projects"..You know,very few Materials,and a whole lot of TIME.!Thanks again.Ken.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions