sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to Douglas Beach yesterday afternoon, had no luck. Gridded the upper dry sand as well as low tide wet sand, only aluminum. But the reason for this thread is to remind people to fill their holes back in. There was another guy detecting on the beach a little further south towards the yellow house that dug a couple of holes, one of which was a crater and didn't fill them back in. If you are reading this:

FILL YOUR HOLES!

Gives the sport a bad name.

Thx for listening

Upvote 0

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed. There have been a lot of real detectors that have lost permissions due to the bottom feeders sneeking in and not filling their holes. It gives all of us bad names....

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. There have been a lot of real detectors that have lost permissions due to the bottom feeders sneeking in and not filling their holes. It gives all of us bad names....

Hopefully this person is on this forum and realizes the error of their ways

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its just got to be done, and especially at the beach. Helps to tamp the sand down at the beach too. Ive stepped in my freshly filled holes and almost hyper extended my knee !!

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its just got to be done, and especially at the beach. Helps to tamp the sand down at the beach too. Ive stepped in my freshly filled holes and almost hyper extended my knee !!
l

Imagine one of the many older retired folks taking a sunset walk on the beach and stepping into that crater and injuring themselves-black eye for the detectoring community

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
AMEN brother !!! Fill your holes. someone could get hurt and WE get a bad rap

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my biggest pet peeve is a hole left uncovered

Special circumstances to my biggest pet peeve is the trash they dug up left to the side of the whole they dug.

14B98B42-441F-48D2-8647-1F9FB1FA3490.jpeg 8FB8F9B7-86A2-4E65-AE49-F03B35B8C4A1.jpeg

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed... Fill your holes and take out the trash if possible !!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When given the chance, I've filled every hole I could! :skullflag:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have watched quite a few youtubers not filling holes and leaving junk behind they dig up.
You get the usual I want to know where I have dug the waves will fill them back in and kids leave holes in the sand I have heard it all lol. I fill mine in just so I don't have anyone try to blame me for anything.
And we have users on here that praise them as great detectorist I don't get it.

Went to Douglas Beach yesterday afternoon, had no luck. Gridded the upper dry sand as well as low tide wet sand, only aluminum. But the reason for this thread is to remind people to fill their holes back in. There was another guy detecting on the beach a little further south towards the yellow house that dug a couple of holes, one of which was a crater and didn't fill them back in. If you are reading this:

FILL YOUR HOLES!

Gives the sport a bad name.

Thx for listening

Last edited:

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately in every hobby there is the 1% who stink it up for the rest of us. I would have approached the guy and politely explained his errors. He may have been new to the hobby and didn't know better. If he was an old turd that has been doing it for years and just didn't care, then, Politely, I would explain to him that I will pass his identity to the local authorities just in case they get a complaint of an injury or just the holes they will know who to go to. Either way, the point of "Fill your holes" gets across.

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, I filled in those holes yesterday as best i could. Today on same beach there were a couple of small holes that I filled in as well. I also always take the trash, precludes me digging it again. Some of it very sharp and could cut a bare foot.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, I filled in those holes yesterday as best i could. Today on same beach there were a couple of small holes that I filled in as well. I also always take the trash, precludes me digging it again. Some of it very sharp and could cut a bare foot.

Thank you for making our hobby look good.

Cheers
6AA31E72-33CD-4BB9-849D-1EF2E4EAE866.gif

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Think of it this way. You're following a mess of unfilled holes. You're digging targets out and filling your holes.

People come & go on the beach. All them visitors see you there and the holes, and that makes you own the holes as the public would view it.

Guess we gotta clean up after our lessor inclined "brothers & sisters". We can't do anything about the other spots the hunter hit.

I had a work friend back in the 80's, living in Madison, OH, came in to work one Sunday morning *****ing about laying on his couch watching football, and heard something out in his yard, and there was a stranger metal detecting his yard, and the trespasser was belligerent towards him, but did leave.

I pray there are NO members on TNet who would be this disgusting. I dug in the dirt today at a location where cleanliness didn't matter. I filled every hole I dug and disposed of the trash. 17 clads for $1.16.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
There's no feeling in the world like being the only person in the park/beach detecting when somebody else discovers all those unfilled holes.
Fill your holes. Take all your targets. Leave nothing but footprints.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My digging buddy's site was "raided" recently by party unknown. Holes in the fields everywhere populated by zillions of cigarette butts. Sooo not cool.

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not going to name names here, but there's a long time dectorist who hunts Daytona Beach with a CTX-3030 and NEVER fills in his holes. I called him out on it recently and he stated that he's been hunting the beach for over 20 years and has never filled in his holes. You would think the beach patrol would say something to him after driving over his potholes in the traffic lanes a few times. I'm wondering how many bicyclists and joggers have been injured over those 20 plus years after falling into one of his Stealth scoop beach craters.

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no feeling in the world like being the only person in the park/beach detecting when somebody else discovers all those unfilled holes.
Fill your holes. Take all your targets. Leave nothing but footprints.

Ditto! Hopefully these folks read this forum and take heed.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's exactly what happens when a litterbug gets their hands on a detector! They can't change and don't get it! There must be a medical name for this mindset! They have three brain cells left and two of them aren't working!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. I find a lot of unfilled holes at some of the parks I search in. I also find the garbage they dug and left beside the hole.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread