RECOVERING TARGETS AROUND ROCKS IN SURF

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's tides were about -1 feet. A section opened up near a pier that was full of crusted rocks from baseball size to size of a frisbee. Several layers deep. At low tide they were under maybe 6" of water. Of course that will be knee deep most other times.

I could not move my CTX more that a couple foot without a new, digable signal. 12-04, 12-07, 12-09, 12-11, 12-13! I thought I hit the mother load until I realized my Stealth scoop was useless. I could not dig more than an inch in any direction without hitting a rock.

Does anyone have any ideas at recovering these targets?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old beach like that - most guys cant hit there and there are still old goodies here that go into the 1800s
in warm weather I will hit here and will kneel down and wearing mask and snorkel will fan around the rocks and move them
targets will usually be just underneath - I hit there last year and got 2 barber halves doing this along with 3 old bottles
that others would never see without mask - this is a small old beach and most of the old junk has been weeded out by
myself and others - so when you get a hit it the rocky area - bout 90%+ chance its a good target - might be a sinker
but positive targets at least
if you are having trouble - then most others will too in that area - which means they may have moved on to spots they can
hit and run (easy digging spots) - if you have the patience a spot like yours can pay off -
my small spot - Ive gotten over 20 old gold rings from in about a 30 yrd by 50 yrd area - and this place has been
hammered by others that thought it was cleaned out - the easy spots are - the rocky ones still hold treasure

OP
OP
T

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. This particular area is in a high traffic tourist spot. I will have to wait till the water warms up though.

Do you leave the detector on shore and just use a pinpointer so you can keep your hands free? By that I mean using the detector to determine the location of a few hits and then do by hand with a shovel?

I have an old beach like that - most guys cant hit there and there are still old goodies here that go into the 1800s
in warm weather I will hit here and will kneel down and wearing mask and snorkel will fan around the rocks and move them
targets will usually be just underneath - I hit there last year and got 2 barber halves doing this along with 3 old bottles
that others would never see without mask - this is a small old beach and most of the old junk has been weeded out by
myself and others - so when you get a hit it the rocky area - bout 90%+ chance its a good target - might be a sinker
but positive targets at least
if you are having trouble - then most others will too in that area - which means they may have moved on to spots they can
hit and run (easy digging spots) - if you have the patience a spot like yours can pay off -
my small spot - Ive gotten over 20 old gold rings from in about a 30 yrd by 50 yrd area - and this place has been
hammered by others that thought it was cleaned out - the easy spots are - the rocky ones still hold treasure

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. This particular area is in a high traffic tourist spot. I will have to wait till the water warms up though.

Do you leave the detector on shore and just use a pinpointer so you can keep your hands free? By that I mean using the detector to determine the location of a few hits and then do by hand with a shovel?

Shovel would not work here - seen guys with every kind of scoop here and at other severely rocky spots - they complain - then give up - Ive seen
more than a few break scoop handles - these spots are solid fist to head size rocks - they were covered by sand at some point but storms have taken it away years ago
I will shorten my rod and hunt with mask and snorkel on hands and knees - not for thefaint of heart - wear gloves and fan - no need for a screw driver - no need for
pin pointer - if viz is good - you will easily see targets after stones are moved - one of these days hoping to bring a vid camera to show - places like this are more
"fun hunts".. not profit hunt = those that want lot of new gold and new coins ...don't go here
- they can be hard work but its cool to move big rocks and see old gold or caked silver underneath
get cool relics at spots like this too like old cracker jack prizes and tokens and such - along with old bottles I fan up now and then
many at new spots with rocks will hunt the sandy spots and skip the harder work it takes to hit the rocky areas
its the same in the Caribbean - I will hit the soft sandy spots that all the others hit but if finds are scarce (usually because others had been there)
I will try and find dead reef areas or rocky areas and that is usually where I get most of my finds - the road less traveled

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's tides were about -1 feet. A section opened up near a pier that was full of crusted rocks from baseball size to size of a frisbee. Several layers deep. At low tide they were under maybe 6" of water. Of course that will be knee deep most other times.

I could not move my CTX more that a couple foot without a new, digable signal. 12-04, 12-07, 12-09, 12-11, 12-13! I thought I hit the mother load until I realized my Stealth scoop was useless. I could not dig more than an inch in any direction without hitting a rock.

Does anyone have any ideas at recovering these targets?

Agree with old crusted goodies being present. Scoops are worthless .

My solution only applies to this area alone not detecting the beach 1 mile before you get there.
Surgical precision needs to be applied.

The solution is very simple and very inexpensive and it involves Harbor Freight

60D85EA8-1E09-4625-9DE5-ABDFDF9DB6F0.jpeg
ECC4AFCF-00E5-4F4A-B8ED-765EEA6DB167.jpeg 552CF3A3-B4AC-4068-AA8E-C721C8DCA62E.jpeg

It’s up to you if you want the 2ft or 4 ft. I love the 4 footer

However size does matter when it comes to leverage.

84FCDA55-5331-45B4-A8E5-42AC11411B3D.jpeg

I know what you are th8nking it’s gonna be heavy ... yes but it will get the job done and who knows what yiu will find.

Cheers friend and I’m enjoying the CTX . Love it!

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
New England Tooth Pick

Try a New England Tooth Pick...if you are strong enough to carry it to the rocks...

Attachments

• PBCapture.JPG
    PBCapture.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you are th8nking it’s gonna be heavy ... yes but it will get the job done and who knows what yiu will find.

Cheers friend and I’m enjoying the CTX . Love it!

You know, if it lets you start pulling targets that everyone else gave up on, that weight is going to disappear when gold is in the other hand!

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use a screwdriver and crow bar for my rocks, thou not quite as large. It would be a good work-out. Just broke my 3rd 4' scoop handle in rocks today working the super moon low tide. In rocks with some sand, it often pays to scan the top layer with a pointer once area identified with the detector because many targets stop at the top of the rock layer. My guess for your numbers: sm piece of foil, nickel or foil, sinker or foil, sinker, tab.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread