One word can make a difference

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing some research at the library and reading old newspapers from 1894 and found one word that made a difference in my research that was significant. This particular spot was a major attraction in the early 1900's with fiddling contests, sings, 4th of July celebrations and other activities. I've been researching this spot for 2-3 years as I had time, even tho I hadn't written the owners of this site due to time constraints and other reasons. It used to be a large area where as many as 12-15,000 people would gather and people rode trains from nearly 100 miles away to attend these gatherings.
Now, this large area is owned by over 150 small land holders and the largest section is about 33 acres and I just haven't tried to get permission, but continued my research just in case things worked out for my getting permission for some of these areas. Found quite a few large ads in the papers about this area and the one word that was not covered in the history of this area was the word mineral. It was named after the owner in the local history book I read, but the papers had the owner's name and the word mineral springs. In the early 1900's, if a place had mineral springs in it's name, it was considered a place for healing as well as recreation and I'm sure it made a difference in the crowd they had. Just thought I would mention this. I love reading the old newspapers from the late 1800's and early 1900's and some of their ads blow me away.
Author:

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing some research at the library and reading old newspapers from 1894 and found one word that made a difference in my research that was significant. This particular spot was a major attraction in the early 1900's with fiddling contests, sings, 4th of July celebrations and other activities. I've been researching this spot for 2-3 years as I had time, even tho I hadn't written the owners of this site due to time constraints and other reasons. It used to be a large area where as many as 12-15,000 people would gather and people rode trains from nearly 100 miles away to attend these gatherings.
Now, this large area is owned by over 150 small land holders and the largest section is about 33 acres and I just haven't tried to get permission, but continued my research just in case things worked out for my getting permission for some of these areas. Found quite a few large ads in the papers about this area and the one word that was not covered in the history of this area was the word mineral. It was named after the owner in the local history book I read, but the papers had the owner's name and the word mineral springs. In the early 1900's, if a place had mineral springs in it's name, it was considered a place for healing as well as recreation and I'm sure it made a difference in the crowd they had. Just thought I would mention this. I love reading the old newspapers from the late 1800's and early 1900's and some of their ads blow me away.
Author:
yeah, the history of mineral springs is pretty cool. We have an old abandoned mineral spring treatment center near me. They used the water for everything thinking it had healing powers. Sauna boxes, cold pools, hot baths, growing vegetables in the water, and of course drinking it. Some of the most common patients seeking this miracle cure were infected with TB. Very interesting stuff, lots of money made.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting post fongu. Hope your research pays off and leads you to some permissions. Best of luck!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with you on the research, I totally enjoy reading thru that stuff. I know I've exhausted all of the information I can gain from the internet but being able to pull up old news papers from the area one is researching sure can be very enlightening. Keep us informed on your adventure!

This beach here I found thru an advertisement, No record of it any where other then this ad and if you look close it tells the location.

938.jpg

OP
OP
F

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, everybody. OBN, how did the beach turn out? If it was unknown to most detectors, I hope it gave you some great finds. I've also noticed when I type in locations, that if the current county was created from several larger counties, using those other counties in your search box turns up additional useful information and especially in the state archives. The city where I was born had 4-5 different names before the present name I've known all my life. Obvious to most members, but thought I would share what I found out for newer members. Not really expecting permission because the people who own this location also owned another popular water park and had people trespassing there after if was closed and posting on my space years ago how they were after the finds in this area and didn't care about permission from the owners. a few bad apples like this spoils the fun for the whole barrel sometimes. I still plan to write them a letter and ask permission and explain that I will respect their property. good luck & happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread