vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - Notice this is your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Texas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
questions.gif
2nd - If it is "metal" - sure looks like a cannon ball.

tn_link.gif
3rd - I searched
tn_02.gif
and foundpulled this from 4.5 cannon ball from war of 1812 (Nov 14, 2012, 01:05 AM). Read the entire thread - here is one of the replies...

Update:
I got sidetracked in giving other details in my prior post (above), and forgot to mention something important about that ball.

Especially in the first photo, it appears to be covered with a thin layer of concrete/cement. That is worrisome, because I've seen other concrete-coated iron balls. They are the result of using iron balls to clean leftover concrete out of a concrete-delivery-truck's rotating tank.

Explanation: After the concrete-truck delivers its tankload to a jobsite, some wet concrete clings to the interior of the tank's walls ...and the concrete hardens when it is exposed to air in the empty tank. After a number of deliveries, it can build up pretty thickly inside the tank, significantly reducing the tank's capacity. How do you clean it out? Do you put a man inside with a sledgehammer and chisel? No. You simply put a bunch of iron balls in the empty tank, and flip on the rotation switch. The iron balls then tumble and crash around inside the tank, bashing the concrete off the interior walls.

My cannonball collection includes a big lump of concrete with iron balls in it. It was given to me by its finder after I told him what it (really) was. He thought it was from a civil war artillery projectile known as Canister. But actual Canister balls were contained in sawdust, not a concrete matrix. I've got a photo of it somewhere, which I'll post here if I can find it.

Mattmatt100381, does that ball have a thin coating of concrete, or is it just grey-colored dirt? (If it's just dirt, it will scrub off ...and concrete won't.)

Last edited:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Should be a way to determine if there is iron inside. Powerful magnet, or even a metal detector.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find.

Contrary to what you may hear... IMO you have definitely found a rare cannonball.

Well done.

PS... Its a "keeper".

:)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe off a stone gate post?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread